CBJ has finally

FiremedicVOL127

CBJ has finally come out and said what I've been wanting to hear for a long time from our coach. He made the statement in his interview after the scrimmage I think, that it's time to stop talking about us being young and stop using youth as a excuse..... CBJ you da man, finally a coach has manned up and took responsabilty for this team. That IMO is a true coach and a true leader.

Mods move if needed, I just didn't know where to put this, but wanted to bring attention to it. Thanks

Reactions: 10 people
Agreed, but it's nice for a change that our coach isn't using it as a excuse. It's reality yea, but he's not using it as excuse.

Not using it as an excuse doesn't make it any less true. We will lead the SEC in starting freshmen and playing freshmen.

Reactions: 2 people
Agreed, but it's nice for a change that our coach isn't using it as a excuse. It's reality yea, but he's not using it as excuse.

Its the old adage- Men vs Boys in many of our key positions.. Difficult to overcome in a long season, But good things will happen along the way.

Reactions: 1 person
Kinda hate that excuse as well, but it kinda does fit this year.
For example, how many starting linemen do we have returning this year?? :blink:

Football is about playing together and playing to win. Being young is actually lack of experience, and that changes after each play. We have a team with a lot of talent and I see that if our coaches can get it done, and I believe they can, it will be a more enjoyable year for VN fans than the recent past years have been. CBJ gets it!!! GO VOLS

CBJ has finally come out and said what I've been wanting to hear for a long time from our coach. He made the statement in his interview after the scrimmage I think, that it's time to stop talking about us being young and stop using youth as a excuse.....

CBJ obviously reads VN...

...and he gets it.

Poor Excuse > Dog ate my homework. ( we know THAT aint true)

Not so poor excuse > Coach had me wrestle a senior and I lost, I'm a freshman.

Because most people are pretty honest, most (excuses) are in fact bonafide REASONS. Like, if you load the bed of an old 4 cyl 2Ltr Ranger with a full cord of firewood, (8'x4') you'll burn out the clutch trying to pull up your steep driveway.

But, I guess the 'real man syndrome' likes the meme of "no excuses, just DO it".

A good football coach is going to be mindful of the talent and physical maturity of his team, and proceed accordingly. Personally, I like that Jones is a truth teller, instead of just a "we gonna DO it" smoke blower. Truth is truth.

While I appreciate what op is saying. On another hand, is it not acceptable for a coach to speak @ performance in terms of the facts?

By tempering expectations, Butch is playing the media, which in turn is playing the media's sheep / fans. If he doesn't pump the brakes regularly, then by the OU kickoff the fanbase will be screaming @ why we are not ranked in the top 10.

I'm like OP though, it will be nice to see the young mantra fade as the season goes along. Butch can go 6-6 without it and keep his job. He can still stress it on the recruiting trail to pacify recruits and parents. He can land another monster class. Then head into 15' with a lot deeper roster.

Kinda hate that excuse as well, but it kinda does fit this year.
For example, how many starting linemen do we have returning this year?? :blink:

We r the only team in D1 not returning a single starting o or d lineman.

Is being a young team an excuse or just a fact? An excuse for what? The season hasn't even started. Regardless, we are a young team and it will show during this season.

Our youth will show this season, but I think our talent will too at times. It will probably be another roller coaster ride this year. However, I think we can all agree that the future is very bright.

I just hope that the team (freshmen) don't get overconfident if the first two games are blowout wins.

Did we have some multiple birthdays or something? Otherwise we are young. I understand what he means though.

CBJ has finally come out and said what I've been wanting to hear for a long time from our coach. He made the statement in his interview after the scrimmage I think, that it's time to stop talking about us being young and stop using youth as a excuse..... CBJ you da man, finally a coach has manned up and took responsabilty for this team. That IMO is a true coach and a true leader.

Mods move if needed, I just didn't know where to put this, but wanted to bring attention to it. Thanks

FireMedicVol127 - believe you are too young to make this comment

Which had you rather have, the truth or a lot of misplaced bravado? Bravado makes the emotional ones feel good, but then they come crashing down when the truth hits. If we are good, I want to hear the coach say it. If we are not, I want the truth and hope we exceed expectations.

Not using it as an excuse doesn't make it any less true. We will lead the SEC in starting freshmen and playing freshmen.

This has been the case for 3 of the past 4 seasons.

This time, however, Vol fans, boosters and administrators can have enough faith in the head coach to allow this group to cycle into being a great team over time.

He has said since day one of camp it will not be an excuse, but just because we don't use it as an excuse doesn't mean its not true.

It's scary that they're so young, but it's also exciting that they finally have some SEC-level talent.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back