WR Depth Chart???

mgnelson88

We are loaded at WR (obviously)! How are we going to get the ball in all of these play makers hands?

How do you think our WR depth chart will pan out with guys such as: North, Pig, Malone, Croom, Pearson, Wharton, Smith, Johnson, and Carter?

It's not a bad problem to have, but only one of these guys are seniors (Carter) and we have Preston coming in next year as well...gotta like our talent on the outsides with the pigskin, assuming the QB's can get them the ball.

We are loaded at WR (obviously)! How are we going to get the ball in all of these play makers hands?

How do you think our WR depth chart will pan out with guys such as: North, Pig, Malone, Croom, Pearson, Wharton, Smith, Johnson, and Carter?

It's not a bad problem to have, but only one of these guys are seniors (Carter) and we have Preston coming in next year as well...gotta like our talent on the outsides with the pigskin, assuming the QB's can get them the ball.

1st team: North, Smith, and Von in slot
2nd team: Malone, Croom, and Pig in slot
Remaining: Vic, Johnson, Carter
Outside looking in: Bowles and Jenkins

I'd say our starters will be:

North, Smith, Von, Lane, and Wolf

2nd string: Malone, Croom, PIG, Downs/AJ, and Hurd

Also think we will see two TE sets with Helm and maybe even Wolf in slot. Something like:

WR: North/Malone
WR: Smith/Croom
Slot: Helm/Wolf
TE: Wolf/Downs/AJ
RB: Lane/Hurd

Reactions: 3 people
I'd say the order right now looks like the following:

North
Pearson
Howard
Smith
Malone
Croom
Johnson
Wharton
Bowles, carter, Jenkins

With the exception of Bowles carter and Jenkins, I think you will see the other 8 rotating in and out of the game quite a bit.

Same with tight end. And I think lane hurd and devrin will rotate a lot as well.

A lot will depend on how fast (HUNH) the coaches want to run the game. Fresh guys after 2 or 3 1st dns; or more often depending on what's needed in game pace to support the D. Rotating receivers is not new, they run a lot. How well the receivers are managed and how well the QBs distribute the ball around the group as game managers, will show us much about game day coaching. I hope we don't wind up with just a couple of guys getting most of the passes. I want to see five or seven fresh hands pulling 'em down with regularity.

1st team: North, Smith, and Von in slot
2nd team: Malone, Croom, and Pig in slot
Remaining: Vic, Johnson, Carter
Outside looking in: Bowles and Jenkins

I'd say our starters will be:

North, Smith, Von, Lane, and Wolf

2nd string: Malone, Croom, PIG, Downs/AJ, and Hurd

Also think we will see two TE sets with Helm and maybe even Wolf in slot. Something like:

WR: North/Malone
WR: Smith/Croom
Slot: Helm/Wolf
TE: Wolf/Downs/AJ
RB: Lane/Hurd

Josh Smith over Malone, Pig and Croom? Surely not.

Reactions: 4 people
Josh Butterfingers Smith as a starter with others on the bench? I just can't see that happening,I mean really?

Reactions: 4 people
With this kind of depth I hope we have someone running deep every play and wearing opposing DB's down. Our WR depth > opposing DB depth

Josh Butterfingers Smith as a starter with others on the bench? I just can't see that happening,I mean really?

As a freshman last year he was wide open about as much as any other receiver on the field. And it's been said a lot that he has one of the best sets of hands on the team in practice. If he can shake the nerves and start pulling in the ones that go his way in games it would be a shame not to have him out there at this point while the other guys are still new to the system. A lot can happen over a year to mature

Reactions: 1 person
Lines up with the WR group of Mecham, Smith and Swain and others.. North is our Mecham as the clear #1

The Gamble kid looks good on tape - is he eligible to play? If so, I think he gets some balls thrown his way.

With this kind of depth I hope we have someone running deep every play and wearing opposing DB's down. Our WR depth > opposing DB depth
THIS! Running 2 deep a lot will pay huge dividends in the 2nd half of games, not on!y for pass coverage DB run support melts as well.

Smith, by all accounts, is having a great camp. He will be first-team on the depth chart that is released for the Utah State game.

This staff likes to rotate a lot of receivers.

I tagged this young man Josh "Hands of Stone" Smith last year. The monicker stays at my house until he proves me otherwise.

Also of note, he had a broken bone in his hand last year and played with it. His hands of stone may not all be attributed to this fact, but I'm betting a lot of it can.

Have you been reading any of the articles? Smith apparently had a broken/messed up finger and a few other nagging injuries throughout last season. This fall camp he has been nothing short of a complete 180. The guy is lightning fast and the coaches have been raving about him. Let's not damn the guy before we see him play. Just sayin

Reactions: 2 people
Have you been reading any of the articles? Smith apparently had a broken/messed up finger and a few other nagging injuries throughout last season. This fall camp he has been nothing short of a complete 180. The guy is lightning fast and the coaches have been raving about him. Let's not damn the guy before we see him play. Just sayin

Facts and Fiji are not compatible.

Reactions: 1 person
Not sure if any of this matters, because THEY PLAN ON MULIPLE RECEIVERS TO WEAR OF THE DB's out, looks to have a great group.

BTW they have made a video for the WRU that is awesome, they pulled it to add or rework it over the weekend but it is sweat.

Look, he may be a good kid with a lot of skills, but on the big stage last year, and it may be due to injury he wilted. The UT Sports information folks were very kind in providing on his bio 2013 stats not to declare how many total attempts he had come his way, rather pushing this stat out there:

In 11 games, made four starts, in 2013 with 12 catches for 182 yards with one touchdown

I'm not going to make a big deal about how many of those 12 catches were against WKU & South Alabama. All I'm saying is the young man did not get it done last year. I hope he has an All American campaign this year, but I'm not convinced when the bright lights come on, he can. I hope he proves me wrong, but he wouldn't be the first player to be a wideout that ends up his career as a DB cuz he can't hang on to the ball during a game is all I'm sayin' ...

VN Store

Back