Nathan Peterman, The Forgotten QB

rocktopper16

Don’t mind me, I’m just here for the meltdown.
It wasn’t supposed to go this way. When Justin Worley, Nathan Peterman and Joshua Dobbs met with the media to kick off fall camp last week, Peterman might as well have been a ghost. Everyone focused on Worley and Dobbs, the two QBs who were supposed to battle it out for the starting job throughout August, and largely ignored Peterman.

And that was probably justifiable. Peterman’s lone start last year was unforgettable for all the wrong reasons. His final stat line: 4/11 for 5 yards with two interceptions, two fumbles (one on a handoff exchange and one on a sack) and one broken thumb in a half of action on the road against the Gators.

Yet, after nine practices, Peterman, not Dobbs, is the one currently pushing Worley for snaps – even earning first-team reps earlier this week.

“I think Nate Peterman really took some really important steps in moving forward today and so did Justin Worley,” Butch Jones said about his quarterbacks after Saturday’s scrimmage.

While Worley has been getting the vast majority of first-team reps, Peterman has surpassed Dobbs as the No. 2 quarterback. In fact, Peterman was the most accurate QB during open portions of practice this week and consistently connected with receivers on deep balls – an area Worley and Dobbs have struggled mightily.

“I feel like I’m always making strides,” Peterman said in regards to his accuracy. “But I always feel like I’ve got to get better. You’re never there – never arrived – so I’m always trying to get better.

“I feel a lot more comfortable and I think everybody is feeling a lot more comfortable in knowing their assignments. It frees them up to go and make some big plays because they’re not worried about their assignments so much…The whole offense is getting so much better because we’re developing comfort in the offense.”

Forgotten QB, Peterman, Pushing for Playing Time | RTI

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
I think with the playmakers this offense is going to have the QB will only need to be a good game manager and not make the mistakes that will get us beat. Worley was that player last year and Peterman was the one who made the mistakes that got us beat.

I am sure the staff is looking for the QB who gets them into the correct sets at the LOS and makes the least amount of mistakes. I for one will be happy with any of the 3 as long as they give us a chance to win.

Reactions: 1 person
R u guys serious? Dude choked at fla n u can cover up for him n say he was injured but he choked.. Even running the base off..

He may have talent but most good qbs don't get an oppt n blow it. Make 1 or 2 mistakes sure but choke like that n he is not going to win many games..or come back n be an above avg qb during a game. Sorry

Worley or Dobbs is our best chance..

IMO...

Reactions: 2 people
Further illustrating the reasoning for CBJ's disgust with the position so far in camp.

He desperately wants Peterman or Dobbs to take the job from Worley.

R u guys serious? Dude choked at fla n u can cover up for him n say he was injured but he choked.. Even running the base off..

He may have talent but most good qbs don't get an oppt n blow it. Make 1 or 2 mistakes sure but choke like that n he is not going to win many games..or come back n be an above avg qb during a game. Sorry

IMO...

You are wrong. That one start means nothing.

Reactions: 16 people

IMO...

Glad none of us on VN are coaches. We would make Dooley look like Saban in comparison.

Reactions: 6 people

IMO...

So for the times Peyton Manning choked in the Swamp should he not have been given a second chance. Give the guy a break he had one tough game in the Swamp as a RS Freshman.

Reactions: 11 people
Wouldn't that be something. Peterman rises like a Phoenix from the ashes of the disaster of his one start and becomes a starter this year. I certainly admire the young man and his determination and grit. I'll be cheering for him.
Got to be tough on the coaches to decide on a starter because on a personal level, I'm sure they like all 3 of these fine young men and would hate to not let Worley start and play during his final year. But they also have a job to do and have to play the guy who gives us the best chance to win. Certainly understand them not naming a starter and continuing to let them compete and hopefully make progress. As last year showed, they all need to be ready at a moments notice. GBO and go NP, JW and JD.

Reactions: 6 people
The QB position will contribute significantly more this year than it did last year. All areas will be stronger this year than last with possibility the OL. lack of experience is a problem, but so help me last years group got cuffed around by just about every body. This year will be the beginning of us taking our place back among the football elite. GO VOLS

IMO...

Peterman is a year more mature and a year more to learn the offense and get in better shape

You can't hold one bad game against him

Dobbs had worst stats against a Vandy defense that was depleted

Reactions: 9 people
My admiration for Peterman runs deep for his perserverance and determination to work harder and improve himself instead of taking the easy way out. That's a character trait that will pay dividends for him long after football.

Reactions: 19 people

IMO...

Please tell me how an injured qb can choke? Did you even watch that last int?

IMO...

Does it make you feel good inside to write off people as soon as you see an opportunity? And he was a teenager.
Wonder why that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
So for the times Peyton Manning choked in the Swamp should he not have been given a second chance. Give the guy a break he had one tough game in the Swamp as a RS Freshman.

I'm embarrassed for you for even trying to make this comparison.

I think with the playmakers this offense is going to have the QB will only need to be a good game manager and not make the mistakes that will get us beat. Worley was that player last year and Peterman was the one who made the mistakes that got us beat.

I am sure the staff is looking for the QB who gets them into the correct sets at the LOS and makes the least amount of mistakes. I for one will be happy with any of the 3 as long as they give us a chance to win.

Peterman did look bad at UF, but the defense let a no name back-up qb go wild.

My admiration for Peterman runs deep for his perserverance and determination to work harder and improve himself instead of taking the easy way out. That's a character trait that will pay dividends for him long after football.

Yes he could have easily gave up here and transferred or quit but he didn't choose that route. He has my support

Reactions: 3 people

IMO...

Strap up, son! Let's see you get out there and not choke in the Swamp.

Because you are obviously good at EVERYTHING the first time you tried it....

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back