Practice #8 - Morning Edition

TechnoVol

Practice started at 9AM this morning and updates should be coming pretty soon.

Let's do this!

Reactions: 2 people
Excited about our special teams despite Vic's fumble mentioned. Coverage units should be so much better and quicker than what we've become accustomed to.

"You're always looking to improve, and you're always looking to get better," he said. "Not having that consistency, yeah, I'd say that's disappointing. "By no means am I panicking. They're good players. We've got a bunch of good players in my meeting room, and they work hard and they've got the right mentality. It's just a matter of coming out and performing day in and day out."

"We came out today and a had a good day, but again, that's, if nothing else, an illustration of the consistency that we need," he said. "It's not good enough to have a subpar day yesterday and to come out today and have a great day. We need to perform at a high level day in and day out if we're going to be a great quarterback group." There's so many factors that go into and result in that inconsistency," Bajakian said. "I can't say I'm surprised. You're always going to shake off a little bit of rust at the beginning of training camp. "You can work out all summer long and throw all summer long, but when you start getting people in your face with a pass rush, people in the receivers' faces with press techniques and things like that, it's going to throw off timing. I can't say I'm surprised, but we need to adapt more quickly."

"That'll be a big indicator of where we and how we can progress with this young group," he explained, "and if they can grasp some the concepts and do it against our offense in a competitive situation, that would be a really, really good sign. "If they're struggling, we're going to have to make some adjustments and curtail their learning curve and maybe pull back on a few things. We've thrown a lot at the defensive players. It's been full speed ahead. It's a lot, especially for freshmen. You find out a lot about kids." "For me," he said, "it's just give it all to them, or as much as you can, then just keep repeating it, repeating it, take a break and don't install for a couple days and see how it sinks in."

-Bajakian & Jancek

"He's still goofy, clumsy and makes mistakes," Tennessee's running backs coach said. "I have to remind him where he has to be. He's not Superman. He's an 18-year-old kid just like anybody else, so he still makes mistakes."As a staff we've talked, and we're going to have to live with some of the mistakes that he's going to make out there. His learning curve is obviously going to have to come fast, but he's going to learn in front of 100,000 people." "I don't want him to be anything but Jalen," he added. "There's no pressure on him to come in and be something or be what the media says he should be or whatever star ranking that he was. He's just going to be Jalen Hurd."
Gillespie on Jalen Hurd.

Reactions: 4 people
The fact that Dobbs sounds like he is getting worse makes me wonder if he has taken on too much course-wise and is physically and mentally exhausted. The lack of zip on the ball at this point seems a little odd.

too mechanical and robotic and not enough just playing ball. That's what can happen. It's not like they aren't focused or trying. It could be argued at times that grinding too hard and trying too hard is detrimental to throwing the ball, catching it, making a shot, hitting a golf ball, making a tackle...
He needs to get out there, use his athleticism and fire the ball instead of thinking about mechanics while letting it go.

Reactions: 4 people
The fact that Dobbs sounds like he is getting worse makes me wonder if he has taken on too much course-wise and is physically and mentally exhausted. The lack of zip on the ball at this point seems a little odd.

I'm thinking all the QBs are suffering to some extent from arm fatigue.

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP 13m
Mike Bajakian 'disappointed' in #Vols QB struggles, 'indicator' scrimmage for young D + Jalen Hurd's 'not Superman.' http://bit.ly/XOzwVohttps://twitter.com/patrickbrownTFP/status/498117831360126976

Everyone keeps posting the "he's not superman" line to a point where I believe it's been taken out of context. He's not saying that as in "People think he's better than he is. Everyone expects him to be superman and he's not." He's more saying it as "he has to stop trying to do everything and slow down his expectations for himself, he's not superman, he can't do it all."

Just wanted to clear that up because I saw an article posted that said "RB coach says Hurd is 'not superman' and fans should lower expectations"

Last edited:
Excited about our special teams despite Vic's fumble mentioned. Coverage units should be so much better and quicker than what we've become accustomed to.

Good to hear. Anything is an improvement from what we've had to witness on special teams for the better part of a decade.

It's been atrocious.

too mechanical and robotic and not enough just playing ball. That's what can happen. It's not like they aren't focused or trying. It could be argued at times that grinding too hard and trying too hard is detrimental to throwing the ball, catching it, making a shot, hitting a golf ball, making a tackle...
He needs to get out there, use his athleticism and fire the ball instead of thinking about mechanics while letting it go.

Great post. I suspect the coaching staff knows this too and is scheming to manage it with all of the QB's. They are probably pressing too hard. Oddly, that could be a reason to go ahead and name a starter... maybe everyone would kind of calm down?

Seriously??

there's little question that is part of it. it has happened in recent years to either Bray or Ainge also.... and these kids are throwing ALOT more balls than they did.

The pace at which they take reps is pretty amazing. I can remember in the Fulmer years when only 2 QB's would throw and wouldn't get half that many throws in a practice.

They are definitely pushing those guys at this point... maybe even trying to break them.

I believe he is the only QB that hasn't gotten his pitch count rest yet...sounds like a tired arm to me.

Just letting him work thru it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I believe he is the only QB that hasn't gotten his pitch count rest yet...sounds like a tired arm to me.

Maybe, but it's been pointed out for a few days now after other practices by more than one journalist. I just wouldn't be surprised if Dobbs has taken on too much at this point with class work that he may never reach his full potential at QB. Just speculation on my part, because I remember what it was like in college to take on a full course load and work jobs. That can be a delicate balancing act.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe, but it's been pointed out for a few days now after other practices by more than one journalist. I just wouldn't be surprised if Dobbs has taken on too much at this point with class work that he may never reach his full potential at QB. Just speculation on my part, because I remember what it was like in college to take on a full course load and work jobs. That can be a delicate balancing act.

You could be correct :good!:, I believe UT may only have him for 3 years before he moves on to graduate school somewhere else.

VN Store

Back