3 Star Players who became great

volfan1231

I was reading on VolQuest about the turn around for UT.

"Vols have turned over 66 roster spots from the spring of 2013 to the present day. But the future continues to be even more impressive: by 2015, the Vols will have a chance to start a four-or-five-star at every position on the field except offensive line."

It got me thinking between 2011 and 2013 the Vols landed not 1 recruit that was rated 5 stars. I've heard people say that the stars don't mean a player cannot progress and become a higher recruit.

Does anybody know of any former Vols or former players that were rated 3 star or less and became a college or NFL powerhouse? I was just curious what the odds were of a lower ranked player doing that!

Foster was the first guy I thought of. I'm sure there are a bunch though.

Big Dan Williams was a three star. I think Denarius Moore was too

I don't think either were "power houses" but they ended up doing very well here

Reactions: 2 people
It's depressing to look back at rivals recruiting from 2003 to 2012: all the guys that never made it... I did see Britton Colquitt was a 3*.

Reactions: 3 people
Matt Sims
Marvin Mitchell
brandon Colquitt
Brad Cottam
Anthony McDaniel
Britton Colquitt
Zach Fulton
Arian Foster
Ramon Foster
Inquoris Johnson- 2star would have been in NFL but Injured
Dan Williams
Denarius Moore
Dallas Thomas

Matt Sims
Marvin Mitchell
brandon Colquitt
Brad Cottam
Anthony McDaniel
Britton Colquitt
Zach Fulton
Arian Foster
Ramon Foster
Dan Williams
Denarius Moore
Dallas Thomas

Thank you for the info. That shows how important it is too recruit the 4/5 star players. that is only 12 players over a 8 year period.

Matt Sims
Marvin Mitchell
brandon Colquitt
Brad Cottam
Anthony McDaniel
Britton Colquitt
Zach Fulton
Arian Foster
Ramon Foster
Dan Williams
Denarius Moore
Dallas Thomas

You mean Dustin, right?

Matt Sims
Marvin Mitchell
brandon Colquitt
Brad Cottam
Anthony McDaniel
Britton Colquitt
Zach Fulton
Arian Foster
Ramon Foster
Dan Williams
Denarius Moore
Dallas Thomas

Matt Sims- The most surprising to make it by a long shot

Only one year in, but Cam Sutton was 3-star.

The lesson I'd take is that it's important to have a coaching staff that can evaluate talent and knows which guys fit into their system. Look at Oregon, Kansas State, and Virginia Tech --- those programs have made a living by taking a lot of 3-star guys who were in actuality better than believed and fit into their systems well.

Going out and recruiting a bunch of 4- and 5- star players hasn't always worked, and we've seen many coaches fail with that strategy. Sometimes, it's because a coach is bad at developing or utilizing the talent. Othertimes, it's simply because the ratings services messed up. The ratings services are generally pretty good, but it's not exactly easy predicting how 17 year old kids will pan out.

While 4- and 5- star players have a higher percentage chance of panning out, good coaching staffs can often do a reasonable job knowing which of those 3- star players are gems and which of those 4- and 5- star players have red flags that the ratings services are missing.

According to Scout, Jarod Mayo and Arian I-hate-UT Foster were both 3* recruits.

I had no idea that Jerod Mayo was a 3*. That is almost laughable. He had a solid collegiate career and has been a pro bowler twice.

Last edited:
Eric Westmoreland was the last scholly we offerd, and if he hadn't of been instate he probably wouldn't of gotten one. He was a big part of the 98 champ. season. With him, Raynoch, and Al Wilson we had speed to burn.

Eric Westmoreland was the last scholly we offerd, and if he hadn't of been instate he probably wouldn't of gotten one. He was a big part of the 98 champ. season. With him, Raynoch, and Al Wilson we had speed to burn.

Perhaps the best LB corp we've ever had at UT and not just b/c we won the SEC, a NC or they played in the NFL, but also b/c they played as a UNIT. They compensated for each other's weaknesses, slip-ups, missed reads (not that there were that many). They knew each other so well and that synergy produced a mighty big orange wall. Team gentlemen, team.

Big Dan Williams was a three star. I think Denarius Moore was too

I don't think either were "power houses" but they ended up doing very well here

I believe we only took Denarius Moore to land his teammate Lennon Creer. Funny how things turn out, I love Moore and continue to follow him in Oakland

Reactions: 1 person
Greatest Vol of all time

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 12.18.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 12.18.56 PM.png
    111 KB · Views: 7
I believe we only took Denarius Moore to land his teammate Lennon Creer. Funny how things turn out, I love Moore and continue to follow him in Oakland

Texas kids from Tatum that Trooper recruited.. I believe there was another receiver we were on that went to Baylor.. Not sure though

Matt Sims has been a pretty good back up in New York. Kudos for him still being in the NFL. He must be doing something right. I doubt many people here thought he would still be in the league, let alone make it there (I'm one of them)

You may be exactly correct but for some reason I thought it was the other way around...my aging brain does play tricks on me...

You may be exactly correct but for some reason I thought it was the other way around...my aging brain does play tricks on me...

Lennon Creer was the prize...Moore was the Nash Nance...ended differently.

Matt Sims has been a pretty good back up in New York. Kudos for him still being in the NFL. He must be doing something right. I doubt many people here thought he would still be in the league, let alone make it there (I'm one of them)

He really has. Simms really hasn't had a bad game. He looked solid last preseason and this preseason so far. Also, I believe he had a decent game during the regular season.

VN Store

Back