I am worried re: QB's

1SmokinVol

Jones on the sloppy quarterback play to date: “We’re not where we need to be. We’re not playing winning football at that position right now. I’m always going to be brutally honest, and we’re not efficient at that position. Those three individuals need to step up. It’s just an overall inconsistency in performance…. Our passing game needs to take monumental strides the next couple of days.”

Last year Worley was just efficient enough to get a win vs uSce, he SHOULD be better this year with all the work, Right? I am concerned more about QB than any other position. We cannot under and overthrow these receivers like we did last year... HOPING, FINGERS CROSSED it's just early practice sessions but even when I watch the film and no one is covering the receivers we (Dobbs also) over/underthrow.. HOW CONCERNED ARE YOU ?????? I will hang up and listen.

Reactions: 1 person
Last year Worley was just efficient enough to get a win vs uSce, he SHOULD be better this year with all the work, Right? I am concerned more about QB than any other position. We cannot under and overthrow these receivers like we did last year... HOPING, FINGERS CROSSED it's just early practice sessions but even when I watch the film and no one is covering the receivers we (Dobbs also) over/underthrow.. HOW CONCERNED ARE YOU ?????? I will hang up and listen.
For all of you, dammit, make Worley the quarterback guys, maybe this is why!

Reactions: 9 people
For all of you, dammit, make Worley the quarterback guys, maybe this is why!

agree, some think because he did some throwing at a camp without pressure he has improved. because of the inexperienced line ,imo i think dobbs and his running ability give us the best chances at winning. this is all my opinion and unlike others on here i am not a head coach.

Reactions: 9 people
No coach likes their QBs at the start of a camp. Go back and read about our QBs to start spring practice, and you will see the same things said. People who are freaking out over this need to take a step back. Worley helped us win against a Top 10 team last season, so I'm not for sure why people are freaking out. We are going to have a MUCH better running game this year, so it will take a lot of the pressure off of him to be perfect.

Reactions: 3 people
Surprised he didn't say, "I'm always going to be exceptionally honest. Everything in our program is about the power of one… and in this case, one quarterback. And this great fan base deserves the power of one to be exceptionally well. 102455."

Worley is NOT the answer.I would be very optimistic if we had at least a C QB. All 3 qb's play timid with absolutely no timing.

Reactions: 6 people
We are a 5 win team at best if the QB play doesn't get better. The running game will be a challenge with a new OL so Bajakian needs to lean on all this talent at the WR position.

No coach likes their QBs at the start of a camp. Go back and read about our QBs to start spring practice, and you will see the same things said. People who are freaking out over this need to take a step back. Worley helped us win against a Top 10 team last season, so I'm not for sure why people are freaking out. We are going to have a MUCH better running game this year, so it will take a lot of the pressure off of him to be perfect.
I can absolutely understand why some people would freak out if he's turning the ball over in game situation drills while the other guys aren't. If he doesn't separate, he shouldn't play. He hasn't yet, but it's early. If he doesn't a week from now they should hand the reigns to Dobbs and go with him.

I wish football season would start so these threads would shut down. Only the problem then would be bench (insert QB) for (insert QB) threads.

Reactions: 4 people
We are a 5 win team at best if the QB play doesn't get better. The running game will be a challenge with a new OL so Bajakian needs to lean on all this talent at the WR position.

Yeah because just dropping a QB back that's not great with a new OL is much better. He has to mix it up. Tight end play will help the QBS more than anything. But the run game will have to be decent or it wouldn't matter. That's been the problem, linebackers didn't have to cover inside the hashes because of no threat of the TE. No run game means the safetys will cheat over and the CB will cheat up. That's a losing formula. JMO
Posted via VolNation Mobile

QB is concerning. Worley is limited in his ability and seems haunted by underthrows. While Worley isn't the model of consistency Dobbs is virually unpredictable. He has the talent advantage but you can't trust him enough to open the full playbook.

What's worse is the other big issue, to me anyway, is the OLine. With suspect OL play combined with QB inconsistency, the playmakers may not have their chance to be as great as the talent shows.

If the QBs don't get right and the SEC eats up our OL like it can... could be trouble.

It is what it is, it's up to our coaches to ascertain what Worley does the best, and not ask him to do too much other than that. If it's a short passing game and running the read option, then go with it. If Dobbs or Peterman does it better then go with one of them. But, don't ask any of them to be something they are not.

It is what it is, it's up to our coaches to ascertain what Worley does the best, and not ask him to do too much other than that. If it's a short passing game and running the read option, then go with it. If Dobbs or Peterman does it better then go with one of them. But, don't ask any of them to be something they are not.

I agree but they didn't do that last year n installed an off system that didn't fit our skill players. It will be interesting to see how they call plays in yr 2

Worley is limited in his ability and seems haunted by underthrows

Seems like he still has this problem...He is doing this with open receivers not defended in PRACTICE. WE MUST have better QB play this year.

Reactions: 5 people
I wonder what happened to Worley when he came to UT. Former Gatorade player of the year in SC. Maybe the competition level and the skill players on defense in the SEC have taken a toll on him.

Reactions: 2 people
I wonder what happened to Worley when he came to UT. Former Gatorade player of the year in SC. Maybe the competition level and the skill players on defense in the SEC have taken a toll on him.

gonna take a stab and say not much arm strength or confidence in his arm and failure to anticipate throws. the anticipation part is obvious if you really watch him. this and running is why Dobbs is the much better choice. there's really nothing new worley can do for UT.

Reactions: 4 people

I, personally, think Worley is the type of QB that needs his coach to show confidence in him so that he doesn't second guess himself. He can, in fact, make any throw we need him to make but it always seems like he's slightly off on his timing..could be from the "am I making the right read?" Doubt rolling around in his head, could be that (as in the first or second practice video you can clearly hear Bajakian and Azzani telling receivers where the reception window is) he's being told to throw to spots and the receiver isn't there. He could just suck (I don't think this is true). To me, it seems like a confidence issue. Second guessing leading to bad throws and bad timing. A lot could be on the receivers too (even in practice) by not being where they should be. One way or the other, we shall see.

According to what both Ainge And Swain say they have saw so far in practice it looks like Worley has improved his throwing a lot from last season. tifwiw

Butch controls what the media sees.

I'm in no way suggesting he is having any part of the team intentionally screw up for media access. But you better believe he is choosing exercises for media access that help motivate his team and control expectations.

After practice one, Swain and Ainge were drooling all over Worley on twitter. Some fan tweeted him and said 'whoa- I may have to change my prediction from 7 to 9 wins.' Swain backed off and said 'not so fast'. Since then, i havent seen Swain sunshine pumping. This fan base has a tendency to take a small tidbit and turn it into an irrational overreaction.

Once again, I'm not suggesting anyone is intentionally underperforming. But as detailed and aware as butch seems to be, I don't doubt that managing this fan base and local media's expectations is an objective during fall camp.

I can absolutely understand why some people would freak out if he's turning the ball over in game situation drills while the other guys aren't. If he doesn't separate, he shouldn't play. He hasn't yet, but it's early. If he doesn't a week from now they should hand the reigns to Dobbs and go with him.

Peterman has more talent than Dobbs, better arm strength better size and better running ability. I'd like to see him get another shot if Worley can't get it done. Peterman got threw to the wolves in the swamp. Dobbs played the last half of the season and proved he was a below average sec qb. That being said I think Worley starts and finishes the season as starter as long as he doesn't get hurt.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back