2017 Tennessee Vs. Georgia Tech (rumor)

Interesting match up. No doubt it's to get exposure to the Atlanta area recruits. I wouldn't envy Jancek, assuming GT's coach is still there in 2017. That flexbone offense would be a pain in the ass to have to try and defend.

Reactions: 3 people
Would be very cool IMO - we have a long history with Georgia Tech. Bobby Dodd actually played QB for UT under Neyland.

Reactions: 4 people
Interesting match up. No doubt it's to get exposure to the Atlanta area recruits. I wouldn't envy Jancek, assuming GT's coach is still there in 2017. That flexbone offense would be a pain in the ass to have to try and defend.

Any team that has more than a week to prepare for that offense is usually in good shape. We will have all summer potentially. The only thing I don't like when playing a team like that, is that you get a lot of lineman hurt because of the cut blocks.

Reactions: 1 person

Not with KM1 blowing the interior up!!!:hi:

Reactions: 3 people
Not sure if they would ever admit it, but the biggest mistake GA Tech ever made(In Sports) was leaving the SEC. Dodd was mad because the NCAA capped scholarships for Football and Basketball and he accused other schools of running off players to make room for new recruits(Sound Familiar?) He wanted recruits to be guaranteed a scholarship for 4 years. He accused Bama of being the biggest offender(Surprise, Surprise). GA Tech was also tired of sharing bowl revenue with other SEC teams because they were a powerhouse and going to the higher paying bowls at the time. He thought they could make more by not having to share. Not all bad thoughts at the time, but they lost out on a lot of revenue since that time(Hundreds of millions?). They would probably still be a great program today considering they are located in Atlanta. Nothing groundbreaking here, just thought some fans may find this interesting.

Hope this game happens. From here on, we will probably try to do some sort of kickoff game every year for the exposure. We are in a great position because we are close to Atlanta, Charlotte and Nashville(Rumored to be getting a yearly kickoff game). I could see us in one of those 3 cities every year to start the season.

Reactions: 8 people
Any team that has more than a week to prepare for that offense is usually in good shape. We will have all summer potentially. The only thing I don't like when playing a team like that, is that you get a lot of lineman hurt because of the cut blocks.

No kidding. Working in Georgia, I hear UGA fans complain about it all the time, and I've always chalked it up to their rivalry and something else for UGA to complain about. But, watching that game several years in a row after I first realized that GT does that a lot showed me that it's true. GT does use a lot of cut blocks and people get hurt way too often.

Finestkind! Always good to go to Hot 'lanta, munch Varsity dogs, and see the sights.

Its really not that hard to defend as long as u play ur assignment. Its easier when u have better players.

Enjoy watching the Vols play in Atlanta and the rivalry with Ga Tech was always a good one. However, I agree with the earlier statements about preparing for the flexbone offense and the possibility of getting D-linemen injured going against the cut blocking scheme.

No way Johnson is still going to be there three years from now. If he is, all the GT fans I know are going to be alcoholics.

Looking forward to the future, if the SEC were ever to expand further, GA Tech would be a logical choice. I hope this never happens because I think that would really hurt us in recruiting the Atlanta area kids. Thoughts?

It's a little dicey as to whether Paul Johnson lasts that long.

Looking forward to the future, if the SEC were ever to expand further, GA Tech would be a logical choice. I hope this never happens because I think that would really hurt us in recruiting the Atlanta area kids. Thoughts?

Ga Tech makes zero sense in the SEC. The Atlanta market is already owned by UGA. Nobody cares about Tech.

Ga Tech makes zero sense in the SEC. The Atlanta market is already owned by UGA. Nobody cares about Tech.

Ga Tech had their chance and they thought they would be better off without being in the SEC. They decided to get out, let em stay out.

Tech has never really been the same program sine they left the SEC in 1963. Sure they won a split national title in 1990, but they had won three national titles before they left the SEC.

As a point of reference, as a member of the Southeastern Conference, Georgia Tech won 114 SEC games (1933-1963). As a member of the Southeastern Conference, Vanderbilt has won 122 SEC games (1933-present).

In other words, Ga Tech got out of the conference over 50 years ago and they only have 8 less conference wins as a conference member than Vanderbilt.

It will NEVER HAPPEN, because of the unwritten agreement between, the pups, cocks, and lizards. The other two SEC members will protect the third from any instate rival trying to join the SEC. Therefor no GA Tech for the pups, no Clemson for the cocks, or F$U, or UM for the lizards to deal with as SEC rivals. They each want the state to themselves. Politics and SEC football make strange bedfellows.

As a point of reference, as a member of the Southeastern Conference, Georgia Tech won 114 SEC games (1933-1963). As a member of the Southeastern Conference, Vanderbilt has won 122 SEC games (1933-present).

In other words, Ga Tech got out of the conference over 50 years ago and they only have 8 less conference wins as a conference member than Vanderbilt.

You win Stat of the Day. Now, off to make sure everyone I know knows...

Tech has never really been the same program sine they left the SEC in 1963. Sure they won a split national title in 1990, but they had won three national titles before they left the SEC.

When Tech was in the SEC, UT & GT were huge rivals, almost as big as UT-Bama. After we'd played Tech each year, we knew how good our team was.

In the late 60s I was at one of the great GT - Tennessee games. I think both teams were highly ranked. The game was at Grant Field and both teams' defenses were unbeatable...unfortunately, the Wrecks'won 6-3. Those were the good old days when it was a bad day when a team scored more than 10 points against the Vols defense. Those were the days of Kiner, Neumoff, Walker and Reynolds. :good!:

VN Store

Back