SDS: Ranking the SEC's 10 best rivalries

While I respect that every rivalry is a big deal to the respective schools and usually doesn't mean much to anyone else......when I got to number 3, I stopped.

Reactions: 5 people
While I respect that every rivalry is a big deal to the respective schools and usually doesn't mean much to anyone else......when I got to number 3, I stopped.

I didn't agree with that one either. I had to see what the other ones were as well. This list I thought was terrible.

Not sure the Egg Bowl should be that high. And not even sure UT and Vandy should be on there at all.

And this is certainly a reflection of how strong the West has been the last 10 years. Go back in the 90's and it would look different.

The top 4 are trendy rivalries. Iron Bowl has a lot of tradition, but until recently, it's not usually an even matched rivalry. It's usually evenly played, but not evenly matched. Georgia/SC is a joke as a rivalry. 5 years ago SC wouldn't have one game on this list. I don't guess there were any criteria specifically that each were based on and ranked, just a guy going through and writing down things as he though of them. Kindofa confusing list.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't know what the criteria was for ranking these. If it were based on recent history I would put Alabama v. Auburn and Alabama v. LSU as 1 and 1A. If you were to project what may become the most intense ones based on new teams and realignment, I would say LSU v. Florida and Tennessee v. Missouri have great potential. Taking the long historical view, I mean since inception of SEC the greatest of them all would be Alabama v. Tennessee.

Didn't Realize Auburn vs Georgia was such a big deal.

Apparently bigger than UT Bama or florida georgia.

Hmm

I do believe it is the longest running rivalry in the conference but being bigger than TN-AL or FL-GA I don't know about that.

It is a shame that Aub-Fla, Aub-TN aren't on the list, not to mention Georgia Tech. TN-GA is starting to get interesting and as long as Ole Ball Sac is at USCe, it will be a bit of a rivalry.

I'm not going to lie. When I saw the egg bowl at #3, I laughed out loud, then I realized that the writer was serious so I laughed even louder

The top 4 are trendy rivalries. Iron Bowl has a lot of tradition, but until recently, it's not usually an even matched rivalry. It's usually evenly played, but not evenly matched. Georgia/SC is a joke as a rivalry. 5 years ago SC wouldn't have one game on this list. I don't guess there were any criteria specifically that each were based on and ranked, just a guy going through and writing down things as he though of them. Kindofa confusing list.
Outside of the 1970s, the Iron Bowl has been very evenly matched.

Lol @ #3. Nobody gives a d*** about the Mississippi schools. Half of the people that live in that state don't even care.

If we're basing 'best' rivalries based on the atmosphere of game day at the stadium then I would put the Egg Bowl as #1A alongside the Iron Bowl. I've been to UT vs Bama numerous times, have seen UGA vs Aub on the Plains, and been to the Iron Bowl twice, but I've been to Egg Bowl at least 10 times in my life (my father and both uncles on that on that side of the family played football for the Rebels, so I went to a lot of games with them growing up), and it gets ugly in the stands anywhere MSU and Ole Miss fans are seated anywhere near each other. And the players from both schools don't like each other. There was an intense feud that for years in my family when one of my father's cousins went to MSU for the engineering program. It was a deadly sin within the family.

No admittedly, other than UT vs Bama, I havent' been to any of those other rivalry games in at least 15 years, and MSU and Ole Miss doesn't usually mean much as far as for championships, but I know that my family on my father's side still despises MSU with a passion, and I suspect it is still like that when the 2 schools meet. It was always like that when the 2 schools played BB against each other, especially back when schools were still playing in those little fieldhouses.

I've always thought our biggest rivalries have been:

1. Bama
2. Fla
3. UGA
4. USC
5. Ark
6. Vandy

Prior to the split, I would have put AUB and LSU behind UGA and dropped Fla 5th.

Didn't Realize Auburn vs Georgia was such a big deal.

Apparently bigger than UT Bama or florida georgia.

Hmm

AU vs UGA is a huge rivalry. Another great game that is threatened by expansion. Would be best IMO if Auburn and Alabama were moved to the East and Mizzou and Vandy to the West. Then automatically preserved are TN/ALA, ALA/AU, AU/UGA. And if a "permanent" opponent from the West is preserved, you could keep TN/VAN (though I don't really care) and ALA could keep LSU.

AU vs UGA is a huge rivalry. Another great game that is threatened by expansion. Would be best IMO if Auburn and Alabama were moved to the East and Mizzou and Vandy to the West. Then automatically preserved are TN/ALA, ALA/AU, AU/UGA. And if a "permanent" opponent from the West is preserved, you could keep TN/VAN (though I don't really care) and ALA could keep LSU.

Didn't realize. Probably because my love for SEC sports is only about 12 years old.

Top 5 for me would be:
AU vs UA
UA vs LSU
Fla vs UGA
UT vs UA
UT vs Fla

VN Store

Back