Name Worley the starter now

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
Worley is the senior and he was clearly the best QB last year. No one is challenging him enough for the position this year through Spring and now Fall Camp. He should be named starter, end of.

If you have two freshman (Ainge / Schaffer, Manning / Stewart) then you almost have to settle it on the field. We don't have that situation. The Ainge v Clausen confusion ruined the 2005 season (with perhaps our best defense ever).

Love Butch, but the QB indecision cost us a game against Florida last year, and it's happening again. Not sure why. We'll need the #1 and the #2 this season and everyone but Worley is coming back next year.

Name Worley and bring on some football!

Reactions: 14 people
Worley is the senior and he was clearly the best QB last year. No one is challenging him enough for the position this year through Spring and now Fall Camp. He should be named starter, end of.

If you have two freshman (Ainge / Schaffer, Manning / Stewart) then you almost have to settle it on the field. We don't have that situation. The Ainge v Clausen confusion ruined the 2005 season (with perhaps our best defense ever).

Love Butch, but the QB indecision cost us a game against Florida last year, and it's happening again. Not sure why. We'll need the #1 and the #2 this season and everyone but Worley is coming back next year.

Dear Eddie Vol Halen,

OMG, you're totally correct. I'll personally take care of that at the next practice. I should have listened to you sooner!!! What was I thinking?? Oh, and I love you too.

XOXO,
Butch Jones.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 47 people
It wasn't the "indecision" that cost us the Florida game, it was Butch's DECISION to stick with Peterman until he proved he didn't have it...put the best guy in...that's what he's trying to determine.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch is trying to promote competition.

And did Peterman get hurt in the Florida game last year?

Reactions: 4 people
If I'm not mistaken, I'd say injuries may have cost us the Fla. game last year.

Competition is healthy and good. Without competition complacency sets in.

Complacency is the reason why our program has been in the sh!tter for the last decade or longer. CBJ is not interested in your need for instant gratification.
Why don't all you whiners and complainers STFU and let CBJ do his job or just go ahead and jump ship now.I'm sure a Bama sticker would look good on the back of your Big Wheels.

Don't want to listen to you p!ss and moan from now until January!!:bash:

VFE

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
It wasn't the "indecision" that cost us the Florida game, it was Butch's DECISION to stick with Peterman until he proved he didn't have it...put the best guy in...that's what he's trying to determine.

IIRC Peterman hurt HIS hand and couldn't grip the ball. When CBJ asked him if he was hurt, Peterman lied and said "no" because he wanted to stay in the game. On the next series he threw that God awful "pop-up" pass. CBJ then inserted Worley into the game.

It would have been much better for everyone if Peterman had been honest and just admitted he was injured.

VFE

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people

Complacency is the reason why our program has been in the sh!tter for the last decade or longer. CBJ is not interested in your need for instant gratification.
Why don't all you whiners and complainers STFU and let CBJ do his job or just go ahead and jump ship now. Don't want to listen to you p!ss and moan from now until December!!:bash:

VFE

Competition will be there even when worley named starter. I'm with vol halen, qb battle has already been won. And I don't see culture cultivated under CBJ becoming complacent any time soon.

Reactions: 5 people

Why don't all you whiners and complainers STFU and let CBJ do his job or just go ahead and jump ship now.I'm sure a Bama sticker would look good on the back of your Big Wheels.

Don't want to listen to you p!ss and moan from now until January!!:bash:

VFE

And you must be going senile old fart if you cannot remember Peterman's 4 turnovers and 5 passing yards in the 1st half against FL last year. This is also led to defense being on the field far too long contributing to unexpected offensive production from Gators and their mobile backup qb.

No need to experiment this year and lower our bowl-bound odds.

Reactions: 2 people
Competition will be there even when worley named starter. I'm with vol halen, qb battle has already been won. And I don't see culture cultivated under CBJ becoming complacent any time soon.

CBJ is instilling HIS culture,HIS way and will name his starting QB when he is good and ready. All the crybabies are just going to have to sit in the corner and suck their thumbs until he does.:cray:

VFE

And you must be going senile old fart if you cannot remember Peterman's 4 turnovers and 5 passing yards in the 1st half against FL last year. This is also led to defense being on the field far too long contributing to unexpected offensive production from Gators and their mobile backup qb.

No need to experiment this year and lower our bowl-bound odds.

I'm old but not senile, I remember them well. That is precisely why NOW is the time you look at your options at QB and give them all an equal shot. We all want the best player to start ( I happen to think Worley will win the job) but I want him to compete and work his ass off to earn it. We'll all be better off for it. If you can't see that I'll never be able to convince you otherwise.:unsure:

VFE

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I don't see what the big deal is...why does it matter if we(the fans) know who the definte starter is at this point? Worley is getting the primary amount of snaps with first team, it's not like it's a cluster of QB's going in and out every play in practice. You have to earn the right to even get reps. Just because he hasn't declared the starter, doesn't mean he doesn't have a number 1 guy right now...to me he's just saying at anytime - the light could click with Dobbs and he could earn the right to get equal or more number of reps with 1st team, then become the starter before 1st game of season. I don't like flip flopping QB's back and forth during game (Spurrier only person I know to consistantly pull this off some how), but to not have a start named yet just because we want to know who will be under center come time to play Utah St, doesn't bother me.

CBJ is instilling HIS culture,HIS way and will name his starting QB when he is good and ready. All the crybabies are just going to have to sit in the corner and suck their thumbs until he does.:cray:

VFE

Ironic that the thread was a healthy and respectful discussion until this post.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't see what the big deal is...why does it matter if we(the fans) know who the definte starter is at this point? Worley is getting the primary amount of snaps with first team, it's not like it's a cluster of QB's going in and out every play in practice. You have to earn the right to even get reps. Just because he hasn't declared the starter, doesn't mean he doesn't have a number 1 guy right now...to me he's just saying at anytime - the light could click with Dobbs and he could earn the right to get equal or more number of reps with 1st team, then become the starter before 1st game of season. I don't like flip flopping QB's back and forth during game (Spurrier only person I know to consistantly pull this off some how), but to not have a start named yet just because we want to know who will be under center come time to play Utah St, doesn't bother me.

You are wise beyond my years.:thumbsup:

VFE

Here is one theory.

At Central Michigan, I don't think CBJ waited that long. Dan LaFauer or whatever was his main guy Soph, Junior, and Senior years.

When he took over Cincy, Zach Collaros (junior) was named the QB as early as April. He competing with another junior, Chazz Anderson but Collaros got the nod because Butch said he had better leadership skills and understood the playbook better. That was the first year.

He second year, Collaros was starter early and the competition was for 2nd place. (Munchie, Kay, and Anderson.)

Each time, CBJ talked about how Collaros understood the playbook much easier.

His third year, it was between Munchie and Kay and all knew the playbook (or should). but Because Collaros got hurt, Munchie had more experience. But still CBJ didn't announce Munchie as starter until late August.

Each time he went to a new school he has been able to recruit better QB's. From my understanding Munchie and Dobbs are really the only ones they have recruited.

My gut theory is that CBJ doesn't actually like competition but because he has moved up the ladder he has QB's that are more SKILLED, can understand the playbook FASTER, and all can have those LEADERSHIP skills he wants. I think CBJ is not used to that so the decision is harder for him. Basically I don't think they can evaluate QB's that well. When every QB is the same to you than you can't pick up the little tiny flaws they have. That scares me.

Here is one theory.

At Central Michigan, I don't think CBJ waited that long. Dan LaFauer or whatever was his main guy Soph, Junior, and Senior years.

When he took over Cincy, Zach Collaros (junior) was named the QB as early as April. He competing with another junior, Chazz Anderson but Collaros got the nod because Butch said he had better leadership skills and understood the playbook better. That was the first year.

He second year, Collaros was starter early and the competition was for 2nd place. (Munchie, Kay, and Anderson.)

Each time, CBJ talked about how Collaros understood the playbook much easier.

His third year, it was between Munchie and Kay and all knew the playbook (or should). but Because Collaros got hurt, Munchie had more experience. But still CBJ didn't announce Munchie as starter until late August.

Each time he went to a new school he has been able to recruit better QB's. From my understanding Munchie and Dobbs are really the only ones they have recruited.

My gut theory is that CBJ doesn't actually like competition but because he has moved up the ladder he has QB's that are more SKILLED, can understand the playbook FASTER, and all can have those LEADERSHIP skills he wants. I think CBJ is not used to that so the decision is harder for him. Basically I don't think they can evaluate QB's that well. When every QB is the same to you than you can't pick up the little tiny flaws they have. That scares me.

So every time he goes to a new school he recruits better qbs but doesn't know how to evaluate a qb?

Reactions: 4 people

So coach how was the entire practice that you obviously attended? What about the QB meetings, how are they going? Point, you weren't and aren't there for them, so let CBJ do his thing.

Reactions: 3 people

We lost to UF last year because our defense was atrocious. I wouldn't put that loss on Peterman/Butch

VN Store

Back