Coaches on Vols: "You will want to catch them in September"

Last sentence of the article is so true

Yeah, Dobbs definitely didn't look like some of the frosh. we've had before him, but maybe he'll get it together.

My guess is Mark Richt on the anonymous coach commentator. I think Dobbs is better than average. You don't have to have a rocket arm to be an effective QB in a read option offense. There are many QBs out there that are successful without having an amazing arm. Dobbs brings a running dimension that's hard to account for - college football has definitely been trending towards more mobile QBs. For Dobbs to come in as a freshman, before he was ready, with Worley going down the way he did... and the way Dobbs competed, AT ALABAMA... I think labeling him average at this juncture is premature.

Reactions: 6 people
Our line was not as good as advertised last year. Breaking in 5 new guys will be tough, but it is not like we are replacing an all pro line or anything. Did Tiny even get taken in the draft?

Reactions: 3 people
I think if UT can stay competitive through Oct. and keep their spirits up they'll be a pretty good team come Nov. Losing takes its toll but getting hammered like last season is just demoralizing as it showed late in the year.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't disagree with Dobbs being average last year---although last year was such a small sample size. The kid has time to develop this year--heck he's already working on it with going to work with George Whitfield with Worley.

My guess is Mark Richt on the anonymous coach commentator. I think Dobbs is better than average. You don't have to have a rocket arm to be an effective QB in a read option offense. There are many QBs out there that are successful without having an amazing arm. Dobbs brings a running dimension that's hard to account for - college football has definitely been trending towards more mobile QBs. For Dobbs to come in as a freshman, before he was ready, with Worley going down the way he did... and the way Dobbs competed, AT ALABAMA... I think labeling him average at this juncture is premature.

We don't run a read option offense, we run the zone read. 2 different things. Otherwise I'm with you 100% on your other comments

Our line was not as good as advertised last year. Breaking in 5 new guys will be tough, but it is not like we are replacing an all pro line or anything. Did Tiny even get taken in the draft?

No he didnt but he might make the vikings, I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised with the Oline this season

Our O-line was a hot pile of overrated garbage for 4 years, so I'm more than happy to get some new blood in there.

Our O-line was a hot pile of overrated garbage for 4 years, so I'm more than happy to get some new blood in there.

It's possible 3 of them will be playing as rookies in the NFL. Sorry if I don't accept your talent assessment

Reactions: 12 people

Dooley had the uncanny ability to make very talented players look like drunks on roller skates in live action, so I don't put all the blame on the Oline.

Reactions: 4 people

so was the D Line. It was pathetic really. thats why im not too worried about it. they will be much faster. we absolutely needed some athleticism. Hood, McCullers and Smith made for one of the slowest D Lines to ever grace the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person

That OL was the strength of the team for the past two years. One of the few bright spots in that timeframe. The RB's enjoyed running behind it, and with great success. The QB's were protected much better than most SEC QB's. What more does one want?

Reactions: 2 people

Wrong.....................2 potential NFL starters and another likely in Richardson making the Vikings roster.

That OL was the strength of the team for the past two years. One of the few bright spots in that timeframe. The RB's enjoyed running behind it, and with great success. The QB's were protected much better than most SEC QB's. What more does one want?

I'm sorry, what team were you watching?

Our O-line was SUPPOSED to be good. They proved otherwise. What running backs stood out to you? I dont remember having multiple hundred yard rushing games. Maybe I missed something. And then there was all the QB injuries from the pocket always collapsing on them.

Hmmmm.... maybe I need new glasses.

It's possible 3 of them will be playing as rookies in the NFL. Sorry if I don't accept your talent assessment

I think he was right in the point he was making. When you have NFL caliber linemen, you tend to expect more than mediocrity. Kind of the same thing with the NBA caliber players we had last year, who finally came to life at the end of the season and made a run.

VN Store

Back