Vanilla Offense?

Dougie_D

I was listening to ESPN radio and they were talking about the Johnny Football situation in Cleveland.

I think Herm Edwards said "if they want to make it a competition they have to put the QB's in a situation where the competition is even.... they have to dummy down the playbook"..

For us, Dobbs is more of a runner than Worley. And maybe one has a better arm than the other.

Do you think CBJ and Bajakian are simplifying the playbook for ALL the QB's to compete better?

Vanilla Offense?

thatsracist.gif

Reactions: 23 people
If you have to cut your playbook short in order to make it a competition.. then it is not really a competition. JMHO

Reactions: 5 people
Pretty sure what he meant was that if you simplify the playbook enough where manzel can practice full speed like the other QB's, then you can compare apples to apples who the best QB is in a fair environment, and it would be short term. Otherwise Manzel obviously would look worse because he wouldn't know what to do.

Reactions: 4 people
If that's the case then, whoever is better at the basics holds the #1 spot. But something tells me butch will throw the playbook at them in 2 weeks. Drill the fundamentals into their head. It makes for an easier transition to the more complex and up tempo plays and formations.

In our case all the QBs have the same amount of time in the system. Last year the playbook was pared back just so they could learn some plays. This year more of the playbook is being put in

Next year when we get new QBs on the team, the coaches may have to reduce the playbook for them if they play (much like was done for Ainge and Sheaffer when they alternated as freshmen )

I can't even get on volnation without hearing about Johnny football. Wish him and herm Edwards would just go away. And herm can taking his matching socks with him. What grown man has time to match some cute socks in the morning!

Reactions: 5 people
We need to throw everything at them like we will our opposing teams. We can't win on talent alone. We need to have a few wrinkles here and there to keep the opposition honest.

How in the hell does a comment from Herm about Cleveland's situation have anything to do with our situation? This is just stupid. Reaching to find something to post about are we?:unsure:

Geez - I can't get away from Manziel. Figured I was safe on Volnation. But noooo, low and behold he's on here too. I'm sick of hearing about him. Have you been drinking the Johnny Football kool-aid? :p

Herm is full of ****, he had to say something so ignorance ruled. GO VOLS

Ditto.

Dumbing the playbook down is not making a more fair competition. It is hurting the greater team. If both QBs are running the same playbook, it is a fair competition.

Now, if the coaches believe they have a better chance of winning with QB-2 running a simpler playbook, then play him with a simplified playbook. If they feel they have a better chance of winning with QB-1 running the full playbook, then play him with a full playbook. It's really pretty simple.

The whole concept of "fair" is a leftover from our "everybody gets a trophy" society. Make the decision that gives the team a greater opportunity to succeed.

Reactions: 2 people
Seems to be a lot of people who think they know more about coaching football than Herm Edwards. Im not really surprised though.

Seems to be a lot of people who think they know more about coaching football than Herm Edwards. Im not really surprised though.

You really think a guy who went 54–74 in his only coaching stint is really someone that is worth listening to?

No doubt he knows more about football than all of us but he was a bad football coach in comparison to his peers. I doubt they're doing things the way he did things.

I'd listen to Andy Reid comment about how he handles a rotation of new QBs.

ESPN is just worried that if Manziel doesn't start then they can't talk about him as much. I think the thing I hate the most about ESPN is the way they play favorites. Whether it's Lebron or Tebow, they just can't help themselves but beat the audience over the head with it.

I can't even get on volnation without hearing about Johnny football. Wish him and herm Edwards would just go away. And herm can taking his matching socks with him. What grown man has time to match some cute socks in the morning!

Amen brother. Thought this was a Johnny free zone

Reactions: 1 person
I was listening to ESPN radio and they were talking about the Johnny Football situation in Cleveland.

I think Herm Edwards said "if they want to make it a competition they have to put the QB's in a situation where the competition is even.... they have to dummy down the playbook"..

For us, Dobbs is more of a runner than Worley. And maybe one has a better arm than the other.

Do you think CBJ and Bajakian are simplifying the playbook for ALL the QB's to compete better?

There are rumors that Manziel had sex with some ole girl after practice last week...no confirmation yet, but we are investigating the crap out of this.

-Schefter

There are rumors that Manziel had sex with some ole girl after practice last week...no confirmation yet, but we are investigating the crap out of this.

-Schefter

Can we please stop with the TMZ Manziel reporting. This is Volnation for God's sake

I think the coaches are feeding us info so we will not be surprised if the team does not fair well....you know...the ole CYA......At some point this team needs to start winning......the coaches are being paid a lot of money to produce a good product. Notice I did not say great due to our QB situation.

Can we please stop with the TMZ Manziel reporting. This is Volnation for God's sake

There needs to be an introductory course for new posters. Edit: See you've been on here since 2011...sooo?

Last edited:
I think the coaches are feeding us info so we will not be surprised if the team does not fair well....you know...the ole CYA......At some point this team needs to start winning......the coaches are being paid a lot of money to produce a good product. Notice I did not say great due to our QB situation.

So you think the OP's supposition is true?

Bless your heart.:crazy:

VFE

You play to win the game! You don't play it just to play it!

Sorry no relevance and ESPN hates us! Never ever compare us to the crappy Cleveland Browns and Johnny Manziel!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

VN Store

Back