Anybody seen our own VFL legend Heath Shuler...?

He's a faster, more decisive Worley with a much, much, much better arm. :)

I think Heath may have had the best arm (in terms of strength, not accuracy) that has come through UT in the last 25 years, second would be Tee Martin followed by Crompton and Manning. Obviously, Manning being the most accurate.

I think Heath may have had the best arm (in terms of strength, not accuracy) that has come through UT in the last 25 years, second would be Tee Martin followed by Crompton and Manning. Obviously, Manning being the most accurate.

He was probably my most fun QB to watch. He made ish happen!

Reactions: 3 people
As long as I draw a breath, there will always be love for Iceman.

Amen.

On a real note, If he is currently unemployed. Butch should get him down her as a QB coach. Another real note. I don't even know the last time he has been back in campus..

Reactions: 1 person

Lets be real. Bray > Crompton if we're taking about who had the better arm.

I was just a kid when the Iceman was playing, but I remember him getting so much negativity. In retrospect...we probably should have appreciated him more (and we do now), but who could have anticipated our current state of affairs? In the early 2000s I thought Tennessee would be good forever.

A couple years ago, I was at work, doing my job and look up and Heath Shuler was standing there looking at me. He was touring the factory I worked in and the president, knowing I bleed orange, asked him to come meet me. Cool story bro, whatever. It was a good day.

Reactions: 4 people
For those of us that are young, would some of you grandparents shed some light on why Heath never made it in the nfl? I know he was amazing in college and was a high draft pick. Thanks!

Heath was a very exciting qb! He was on the edge of dual threat before it was cool to be dual threat.

Ah, the good old days, Heath can take me back with him as I was lucky enough to sit next to him in Econ 201 in Glocker bldg. I was his gopher to get necessary forms from the spam can. He was a very cool dude, would talk to anyone, even a lowly trombone player.

"Take me with you!" I don't care who you are. That's funny stuff right there.

Shuler's game against GA was one of the most exciting QB performances I remember

Both QB's were on fire that game. Great game. I think Heath is the second best QB to have played in Knoxville. If he had stayed his senior year Peyton would have redshirted and the 1994 season would have been much different.

Last edited:
For those of us that are young, would some of you grandparents shed some light on why Heath never made it in the nfl?

It was discussed during that time that Heath struggled with the mental part of the pro game. I know he did poorly on the Wonderlic test before the draft, but that isn't always a good indicator of pro success.

VN Store

Back