Practice #4 - Updates

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1666022

Redshirt sophomore Nathan Peterman opened fourth-period team work with largely the Vols' projected starting offense. It's also interesting to note that Josh Smith joined Marquez North and Von Pearson as the third wideout while Alex Ellis was the initial tight end. The same starting five along the offensive front opened the drill, from left to right, Jacob Gilliam, Marcus Jackson, Mack Crowder, Kyler Kerbyson and Coleman Thomas. Jalen Hurd also got work at tailback with the first-team unit.

For the first-team defensive, the Vols opened with Curt Maggitt, Danny O'Brien, Jordan Williams and Corey Vereen up front, although Owen Williams was quickly inserted along the interior. The second level consisted of A.J. Johnson and Jalen Reeves-Maybin, with Justin Coleman manning that nickelback/third linebacker role. The secondary was Emmanuel Moseley and Cam Sutton at the cornerback spots with Brian Randolph and Devaun Swafford at safety. Ethan Wolf caught the first pass from Peterman, and Hurd had a powerful run into the Vols' second and third levels against Johnson and Randolph.

Other notes.

-Dobbs was the second QB in.
-Scott was the second RB in.
-Malone made a spectacular catch from Worley
-Wiesman returned

Reactions: 12 people
BuOg1kZIEAIWdcs.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
NOW you can question how secure Worley's claim to #1 is... until tomorrow.

Also from VQ

Jashon Robertson was the first positional switch, with the powerful rookie from Nashville flip-flopping from the defensive line to the offensive side of the ball. Robertson quickly gained some second-team reps at guard --- a position familiar to Robertson from high school.

Redshirt freshman tight end Jay Rochelle was the only player in “The Pit” injury area during portions of practice open to reporters, and even Rochelle rejoined his position group later in the day

It’s worth noting that sophomore tight end A.J. Branisel and freshman tailback Treyvon Paulk are still clearly knocking off rust from recent ACL tears, though.

It’s hard to categorize Monday’s rotations as a firm “first-team” and “second-team” and “third-team” with players like sophomore receiver Marquez North running with the second-team unit. But, still, it’s worth noting that Peterman went out there first Monday, and he was technically with the first-team group. Don’t expect this competition to end anytime soon.

-Swafford still at 1st team safety.
-TK jr was 2nd team.

Fast Five: Tennessee Vols football Monday practice

Reactions: 1 person
Jason Yellin: Today Coach Jones announced he will be the only one from the program to speak to the media. pic.twitter.com/Uj4VjWQnSR

Fortenberry: Butch says that it's a right to talk to the media and they haven't earned that right. Sounds like players aren't talking today.

Reactions: 4 people
JONES: Everything is based on merit, our players are going to earn the right with the way they practice.

JONES: We have to stop using youth as an excuse. Our players are competing, we're just not there yet.

JONES: We can't waste a single opportunity.

Reactions: 3 people
Nathan Peterman actually was the quarterback with the first-team offense and made a couple of plays with his feet. Freshman tailback Jalen Hurd had a bruising run between the tackles, while fellow freshman Josh Malone hauled in a deep pass from Justin Worley later in the period. Devrin Young also turned a quick, wide throw into a long gain, although Tennessee's defense essentially was playing two-hand touch since the Vols aren't yet in full pads.

A handful of newcomers got looks with the second group defensively, including defensive ends Dewayne Hendrix and Derek Barnett, defensive tackles Dimarya Mixon and Owen Williams, linebacker Dillon Bates and safety Todd Kelly.

-Josh Smith worked with 1st team offense.
-Malone was yelled at again, by Azzanni this time.
-Pig did very little. Appeared overheated.

Tennessee football practice report: Mike Bajakian OK with Vols' QBs using private coaches | Times Free Press

JONES: I haven't seen the consistency. Some of it is going through it for the first time, but that can't be an excuse.

JONES: Every team is different. It's a process, but it's also leadership. Do you spend your time or do you invest your time?

BuOkn8yIEAA4pu8.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
JONES: We have to set the tone. Our players are willing, but you have to continue to grind.

JONES: We had way to many balls on the ground. We can't be a team that beats ourselves.

JONES: Our players will come out and be fine tomorrow, but you have to bring it every day.

JONES: It's easy to lead when things are easy, it's how you lead when things are tough. We can't be a quiet football team.

JONES: You have to work on leadership every single day. That's a skill set.

JONES: You have to practice leadership and it's out job as coaches to point that out.

JONES: There are a lot of individuals letting the mind tie the feet up. There's soreness. You've got to fight through that.

JONES: It's the small details of playing winning football. Even though it's practice 4, you can't let that happen.

JONES: We'll get better and work through it. This is a learning opportunity.

JONES: I love our players, they've done everything we've asked. Now they have to learn our expectation.

JONES: At some positions, there are no older players to lead, so the younger players have to step up. They're trying, but have to be better

Reactions: 5 people
JONES: We're about right where I expected. Out patience is going to be tried. We have to be great teachers.

JONES: You get to represent the University of Tennessee. What could be better?

JONES: I want our players to understand that what you have at UT is special, don't take it for granted.

JONES: We don't have an individual that has played in a bowl game, that should motivate them.

JONES: They want to do it, they just have to be taught how to do it.

So far they say qb's are completing about 40% of their passes. The WR's are helping them out a ton, but they look terrible.

Then Ainge and Swann both said Worley looks the best, but he's not even getting 1st team reps.

Camp season is so confusing

Pads coming soon! I like Jashon Robertson getting a look on offense. I believe he will be great wherever. Seems like Barnett is turning some heads. Any reports on Sawyers? Go Vols!!

Grant Ramey: Butch confirms his staff is "trying" Jashon Robertson at offensive guard.

So far they say qb's are completing about 40% of their passes. The WR's are helping them out a ton, but they look terrible.

Then Ainge and Swann both said Worley looks the best, but he's not even getting 1st team reps.

Camp season is so confusing

He was up until today. Last fall Peterman got reps then both Dobbs and Ferguson got several practices to try to take the job... Worley ended up the starter.

And FTR, I DO NOT have a favorite in the QB battle. I like all three and liked all 4 when RF was there.. I don't know the other kid who transferred in.

I will fully support whoever the best QB turns out to be.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back