Worley gets high praise from Ainge/Swain

skasper06

ICYMI, On the Erik Ainge show this morning he praised Worley a ton. He said "Worley didn't just look for Worley, Worley looked good period." He said he and Jason Swain were astonished at Worley's play and had Worley been wearing a different number they wouldn't have recognized him.

Apparently Dobbs and Peterman are in a competition for QB2 but as of right now Worley looks to be the starter for sure.

TIFWIF. I personally am excited to hear this and have been saying Worley would/should start this season since the end of last season.

Reactions: 34 people
I've heard Worley is day and night better from last year. Can't wait to see the improvement.

Reactions: 7 people
I've heard great things from media, bad things from coaches. I don't know what to believe about our QB situation...

Reactions: 3 people
I'd like to hear the coaches say more good things about our QBs including Worley.

Reactions: 2 people
Just hope when they go Live, he can progress through his reads better/quicker. Seems to be a sticking point. Maybe this has been worked out.

Reactions: 1 person
Definitely some chex mix being served up on the QB front. Mixed info coming out of practices. If Worley is the best we have and I could imagine he is I'll pray that our brand new line keeps him off his ass.
Simms is on an NFL roster now but we all remember what he looked like under pressure all game.

Reactions: 2 people
Just hope when they go Live, he can progress through his reads better/quicker. Seems to be a sticking point. Maybe this has been worked out.

It will probably help that he has a few more targets this year. I am not sure any of the receivers from last year would have started for many schools.

Nothing against North and Pig but last year they probably don't start for the top half of the SEC.

This year they will light it up.

Reactions: 3 people
That's interesting because Hyams was on 104.5 this morning talking about how the coaches stated they were not terribly happy with the QB situation at the moment. Said there were 62 passes thrown off mark in their first practice - compared to 63 in last year's first practice. According to Bajakian, good football teams have 15-25 misses in a practice.

That's interesting because Hyams was on 104.5 this morning talking about how the coaches stated they were not terribly happy with the QB situation at the moment. Said there were 62 passes thrown off mark in their first practice - compared to 63 in last year's first practice. According to Bajakian, good football teams have 15-25 misses in a practice.

I heard that stated as 62 balls hitting the ground. As in drops/misses.

Either way..that's turble.

Reactions: 5 people

If that's the same stat I read, it wasn't 63 missed throws. The stat I read said last year on the first day there were 63 DROPPED BALLS, and this year there were 62 DROPPED BALLS. That is way different than passes off the mark.

Worst of all is they have a years experience in the system and better receivers too. Whew. I'd like to see this Worley improved (per camps) talk start translating to practices and games.

If that's the same stat I read, it wasn't 63 missed throws. The stat I read said last year on the first day there were 63 DROPPED BALLS, and this year there were 62 DROPPED BALLS. That is way different than passes off the mark.

I think Hyams simply said balls hitting the ground, so it can be inferred as a combo of drops/misses. But the rest of his spiel was praising the WR corps as the strength of the team and discussing how the QB's didn't appear to have improved much since summer. TIFWIW - it's coming from Jimmy Hyams.

They're talking about from all QBs.

Worley could be throwing well but if Dobbs is air-mailing his passes (which he is) and Peterman and the walk-on are doing okay but missing some and mix in drops and what-not and that's how you get to 62. You have to understand where the coaches are coming from. If you're doing well, they won't tell you. They'll focus on what you did wrong so you don't get ahead of yourself.

Also, given they're breeding a QB competition (which they are) they'll never be happy about the QB situation to the media.

Reactions: 6 people
According to some, Worley has increased his throwing power this off season. While that may be true, after watching some of the practice videos, he still under throws the receivers on 40 yard passes. Maybe it's an accuracy issue, but he looks very accurate in 10-20 yard throws.

They're talking about from all QBs.

Worley could be throwing well but if Dobbs is air-mailing his passes (which he is) and Peterman and the walk-on are doing okay but missing some and mix in drops and what-not and that's how you get to 62. You have to understand where the coaches are coming from. If you're doing well, they won't tell you. They'll focus on what you did wrong so you don't get ahead of yourself.

Also, given they're breeding a QB competition (which they are) they'll never be happy about the QB situation to the media.

Good point made by you - Hyams specifically stated Dobbs was routinely overthrowing balls when he tried to put "zip" on them. Wycheck surmised it was based on Dobbs poor footwork.

According to some, Worley has increased his throwing power this off season. While that may be true, after watching some of the practice videos, he still under throws the receivers on 40 yard passes. Maybe it's an accuracy issue, but he looks very accurate in 10-20 yard throws.

I noticed that also

Last edited:
Coach Jake said they got that number down into the twenties yesterday. As for Worley under throwing guys, I have only seen one horrible under throw in the video's I've seen. They were running post routes and he was throwing to Malone. Since they were making a big deal about throwing to a spot, and with Coach Z yelling the whole time, "flatten out, flatten out," I think Worley threw to the spot and Malone wasn't where he was supposed to be.

I'm not a football expert by any means, but that's just what I saw.

Reactions: 8 people
According to Coach Z there were 62 the first practice, high 40's the second and mid 40's the third.

Keep lowering the numbers of balls on the ground each practice and by game day it's going to be on.

VN Store

Back