SEC Network & cord cutters

DynaVol

Just a friendly reminder that if you've cut the cord on cable and have a Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV or any device with the WatchESPN app, now's the time to get the authentication login info from your family or friends required to watch live sports on the app. The first two home games are on the SEC network. It's Football Time in Tennessee!!!

That's my plan. What's the realistic timeframe for the cable companies developing a way to prevent this? I hold my breath every time I use the app.

I was very happy to hear that the WatchESPN app will carry the SEC network.

I have a roku with watch ESPN, but I've never used it. What is the authentication code your speaking of?

That's my plan. What's the realistic timeframe for the cable companies developing a way to prevent this? I hold my breath every time I use the app.
They want to keep customers and with app it the closing deal with tv subscribers. It is not worth their time or effort to see only 5% people watching app is not paying for subscription. Most chord cutters if they can't watch sports event on local networks they will go to sports bar, family, or friends houses to watch games.

Last edited:

How would they check it? They can't restrict it to just your home wifi network. If I pay for cable and live in TN but I'm using the app at a Starbucks in Seattle via free wifi or my cell service are they going to not let me access a perk of my cable package? When cord cutters outnumber cable subscribers they'll probably look into some form of tighter restrictions. Until then, I'm not going to be sweating it.

I have a roku with watch ESPN, but I've never used it. What is the authentication code your speaking of?

when you try to watch a game from that app, it asks you to provide your cable provider account info, along with password. So you need a cable subscription to watch it since its a premium cable channel. So the OP is saying to get the logon info from your family or friends that have cable

Reactions: 1 person

In order to watch live sports with the app you have to login with an authorized cable provider's credentials. You can get the login info from a willing friend or family member for their cable company.

You get it from Comcast or Time Warner...only way to access ESPN3.

Joevol33

The list of authorized cable providers for the WatchESPN app is a mile long.

WatchESPN FAQ

Edited: However, you'll need to use a login from a cable company that actually offers the SEC network in order to watch with the app.

Last edited:
How would they check it? They can't restrict it to just your home wifi network. If I pay for cable and live in TN but I'm using the app at a Starbucks in Seattle via free wifi or my cell service are they going to not let me access a perk of my cable package? When cord cutters outnumber cable subscribers they'll probably look into some form of tighter restrictions. Until then, I'm not going to be sweating it.

Exactly! The whole point of the app is so you can use it on the go. If they limited it to your home IP it would have no value.

My sister, a couple of close buddies, and I all use my mom's cable account. Now you you could argue that multiple people using the the same account in different locations would be a red flag but what if there is a large family or house of roommates spread out across different locations during game time?

I do know DirectTV limits streaming the NFL Sunday Ticket to one device at a time. If I paid for that service I would definitely file an official complaint. For the price of the service you should be able to pull up multiple games on different devices if you want to.

Just a friendly reminder that if you've cut the cord on cable and have a Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV or any device with the WatchESPN app, now's the time to get the authentication login info from your family or friends required to watch live sports on the app. The first two home games are on the SEC network. It's Football Time in Tennessee!!!

Zero TV is becoming very popular . Much cheaper. Much better if you have a"Smart TV', mine is a Samsung. :yes:

Did someone say Chromecast? Is it possible to get SECN with the chromecast dongle only, or does it require a cable / Satellite subscription too?

Stupid Comcast still doesnt have SEC N on the channel lineup yet and the morons in cust service are still clueless -- if its not ready by 8/14 then its switch to Dish for me

Did someone say Chromecast? Is it possible to get SECN with the chromecast dongle only, or does it require a cable / Satellite subscription too?

You'll still need the login info for the WatchESPN app on the Chromecast in order to view the SEC network.

Login credentials need to be from a cable company that offers the SEC network.

Stupid Comcast still doesnt have SEC N on the channel lineup yet and the morons in cust service are still clueless -- if its not ready by 8/14 then its switch to Dish for me

I have Comcast/Xfinity out here in Denver. Their website states to check back later for more details on how to obtain the SEC Network. We will just have to wait and see. However, considering it is set to launch in a week, you would think they would have that figured out by now.

You would think that at some point, you could just pay for online ESPN service only. No Tv subscription necessary. Then ESPN would get paid no matter if someone has cable or not.

VN Store

Back