SDS ranks RBs surprised how well Lane did

Volteacher

10. Marlin Lane, Tennessee: The Vols’ featured back heading into Butch Jones’ second season, Lane is hoping to stay healthy for the first time in his career and showcase burst and vision that’s been a contributing factor to his nearly 5-yard per carry career average. Lane’s a reliable every-down option, but five-star freshman Jalen Hurd will also see his share of totes as the quicker, more explosive ballcarrier.

Looks like Alabama and Arkansas and LSU will be loaded. Tennessee will have Lane AND Hurd!!!! I foresee 1800 of yards from both backs total.

Reactions: 3 people
I think Lane is going to flourish in his second season with Jones' staff. He'll surprise a lot of people with his running.

Reactions: 3 people
Excited to see what Lane and Hurd will rush for this year. IMO this year's backfield will be much better than the past 4 have been on production.

Reactions: 2 people
10. Marlin Lane, Tennessee: The Vols’ featured back heading into Butch Jones’ second season, Lane is hoping to stay healthy for the first time in his career and showcase burst and vision that’s been a contributing factor to his nearly 5-yard per carry career average. Lane’s a reliable every-down option, but five-star freshman Jalen Hurd will also see his share of totes as the quicker, more explosive ballcarrier.

Looks like Alabama and Arkansas and LSU will be loaded. Tennessee will have Lane AND Hurd!!!! I foresee 1800 of yards from both backs total.

Is that 10th in the SEC?

Reactions: 1 person
10th isn't terrible imo. Highest I'd put him is like 7, there's a lot of solid rb's in the sec. As long as lane is a top10 back, and Hurd helps, it opens a lot of potential in the offense.

yes. are u kidding?

Just checking. I guess I don't see what's so "surprising" about him being 10th in the league. That's all. Lane's a solid senior running back who put up good numbers last year.

Are you surprised by how "well Lane did" in those rankings?

That's about what the 1 and 2 combined for last year. I want more.

I would like Lane to rush for 1,300 and Hurd to go for about 800 to 900 yards. I hope that gets us about 180- 195, wishful thinking with our O line BUT....... Would you rather have an all world back behind a inexperienced line OR A Mediocre back behind a all star experienced line...... Hmmmmmm

That's about what the 1 and 2 combined for last year. I want more.

Yep we need somewhere around 2800+ yds running and receiving from the backfield. Lane is a top 10 back in both the SEC and and nationally! Good grief have you seen the backs in this league? Between GA, Bama, Auburn, SC, LSU and UT there are 10 backs that will be playing on Sundays just from those 6 schools! Lane will have a great season now that he is the feature!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

I think Lane will have a big year. I hope the freshmen coming in will give confidence for the future.

Lane is a pure bruiser on the field. There is no finesse, just straight GTFO of my way or I will run you over kind of back.

I hope he has a great season like Neal did to end his career at UT.

I would like Lane to rush for 1,300 and Hurd to go for about 800 to 900 yards. I hope that gets us about 180- 195, wishful thinking with our O line BUT....... Would you rather have an all world back behind a inexperienced line OR A Mediocre back behind a all star experienced line...... Hmmmmmm

I'd take the all world line with an average back. Runningbacks are a dime a dozen. Good linemen.make your whole offense work better.

I'd take the all world line with an average back. Runningbacks are a dime a dozen. Good linemen.make your whole offense work better.

I was thinking I'd rather have both myself.

Maybe I'm just greedy though.

So they ranked RB's who are surprised how well Lane did? What subject do you teach? Not English I suppose.

If Lane stays healthy, he will do fine. He is being pushed by not one but five quality backs (Hurd, Scott, Paulk, Young and Pickett. Although Paulk or Scott may redshirt.

Lane is a pure bruiser on the field. There is no finesse, just straight GTFO of my way or I will run you over kind of back.

I hope he has a great season like Neal did to end his career at UT.

Agreed he can finish runs in a bruising fashion, but he does seem to also have a good bit of finesse as well. His cuts are very seamless and fluid. Reminds me a little of Arian Foster when he's picking and popping through the defense.

The one thing no one on here mentions is how well the upgrade of WR's is going to spread out defenses. Quick slants, hitches, outs, or screens...North, Pig, VP, Malone, Wharton, etc...all have that ability to take it to the checkered house if left one on one. Stretch the D out to account will help an average line and above average RB be productive.

Agree! Better receivers = less people in the box! 6 in the box opposed to 7 or 8 allows inexperience o-line to be more successful!

Overlook the dawgs?? Probably the best stable in all of college ball.

Both Lane and Hurd have to carry a lot in the first few games to reduce the load on QB and also give the line time to gel......... I just hope the line doesn't take too long....

This O-line will be a pleasant surprise. They seem like a scrappy, hungry bunch.

They will have a couple dominant performances against quality teams, this season... these guys look like they will take it to everybody they line up against.

Watch and see... :rock:

This isn't the NFL. Good running backs in college are not a dime a dozen unless your Georgia or Alabama. We went years trying to get a great running back to commit here only to strike out year after year.

VN Store

Back