Vols Too Young to Win?

Volumnus 2011

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!
Nice article by Inside Tennessee.

Scout.com - College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page

I don’t see that as an excuse at all,” redshirt junior center Mack Crowder said. “Youth is not an excuse that we’ll be able to say ‘That’s the reason we lost the game on Saturday.’ We’re just going to have to suck it up and play like veterans.”

“I think our team chemistry and the respect we have for each other is at an all-time high since I’ve been here,” he said. “We’ve really bonded as a team, I feel like. I know it sounds like a cliché but it’s true. We’ve got a good group of seniors – not many of them, but a good group – and I think we can take this program to another level.”

I'm staying realistic, but I think this class will be THE class that will get credit for our turnaround. And they may start that turnaround this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Better than that "We will lose" mentality that Dooley brainwashed into those kids.

Reactions: 7 people
It's obviously great for them to have a winning mentality, but this team is going to struggle to win because right now it's not only young, but most of the experience it does have sucks. In another year or two, though, we'll be good to go.

My daddy would often say that if they were 18, they were old enough. I'm fairly certain he was referring to something else, but I reckon that fatherly wisdom still applies here.

Reactions: 11 people
I don't buy into the "the lights are to bright for thier eyes" deal. Anybody can win at any time. If they work tgeir tails off and commit to.winning the sky is.the limit.

Reactions: 6 people
I love that these guys are saying the right things and have the right attitude. But it's the second day of practice and we haven't even put on the pads yet.

Reactions: 1 person
Nice article by Inside Tennessee.

Scout.com - College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page

I'm staying realistic, but I think this class will be THE class that will get credit for our turnaround. And they may start that turnaround this year.

I don't want to repost it all here, but here are some charts that show the average class of our players, talent and other measureables compared to last year. I don't think we are as bad off as many alarmist believe.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/221420-ut-roster-comparison-2013-2014-a.html

Reactions: 2 people
It's obviously great for them to have a winning mentality, but this team is going to struggle to win because right now it's not only young, but most of the experience it does have sucks. In another year or two, though, we'll be good to go.

Curt, AJ, Cam, Randolph, Coleman, North, Pig, and Lane disagree with your "sucks" comment. Those guys are most of the experienced guys on the roster.

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah you have to get rid of all that Dooley mess. Get the losing crap out of these kids head. I am glad Butch Jones is our coach now. Finally we did something right. Thank you Dave Hart. Dooley showed he could not run a big time football program. All you have to do is look at what Butch has to work with this year. Dooley didn't have a back up plan when all the O-line and D-line players left. He is a lawyer which showed when he got all that money from Mike Hamilton.

Complete unknown.. History says a real young teams does not translate into a lot of wins... Who the F knows.. Times are different

Posters who use Tennessee and suck in the same sentence should be banned from this site, CBJ has changed the culture. :yes:

Every team struggles to win their games. When they don't they get beat. That is what happens to good teams that don't "get up" for their game and take care of business. Obviously the level of struggle can depend on who you are facing, but it is always a struggle.

As far as you saying the guys we have now that have experience just suck....well that just tells me you don't really know much about what your talking about!

Reactions: 1 person
Complete unknown.. History says a real young teams does not translate into a lot of wins... Who the F knows.. Times are different

Wasn't michagoon's fab5 all freshmen?

And then you have that felon: famous jamous.

It only one year for Holdsclaw to take command of the Lady Vols!

Talent is preferred to experience, ideally you have both.

My daddy would often say that if they were 18, they were old enough. I'm fairly certain he was referring to something else, but I reckon that fatherly wisdom still applies here.

He's wrong. You have to be 21 to buy alcohol.

VN Store

Back