Utah State Aggies Huge Game, Establishes Tone for Season

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Just looking at the past three years. They have won around twice as many games as they have lost plus they have a win over WISCONSIN, and two of their losses have been against USC and Auburn, both close. I also think they are on a 5-6 game winning streak. This game may set our tone. Thoughts?

I thought losing to UCLA in 2008 really killed that team's momentum. So, yeah, I believe that.

Just looking at the past three years. They have won around twice as many games as they have lost plus they have a win over WISCONSIN, and two of their losses have been against USC and Auburn, both close. I also think they are on a 5-6 game winning streak. This game may set our tone. Thoughts?

Serious? All openers are critical

Reactions: 4 people
Has there ever been an opener that didn't set a tone for the season?

Reactions: 7 people

they did not beat wisconsin. Almost did though

they also have about a dozen wins against the worst teams in FBS and FCS

Air Force
Hawaii
UNLV
New Mexico
Texas State
Weber State
New Mexico State
UT-San Antonio
Idaho
LA Tech
Southern Utah
Wyoming
San Jose State

thats why they have 20 wins the last two years. Lets not blow this up and act like they didnt lose more than we did from their starting rotation and 2 deep. This UT team knows they cant take anyone light plus its the opener. they will be more than ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Has there ever been an opener that didn't set a tone for the season?

Only if it's a loss.

If it's a win, normally it's over Austin Peay or Montana...and nobody can really read anything into that.

I think that Utah State will be the best measuring stick of an opener we've had, outside of NC State in 2012 since UCLA in 2008.

Openers are normally jokes. Which have set us up with way overinflated opinions about our team.

So, I think that Utah State is not a feared name, or program....

But if you look at their schedules from the past few years, you'll see they're definitely a different caliber of team from Austin Peay, Montana, Western Kentucky, etc.

It'll be a good start for us. No doubt. And if we walk in cocky, it might be ugly.

I'm excited about it. 29 days!

Reactions: 2 people
BTW, just looked at Utah State's website, and they already have a Heisman campaign for Keeton.

They have a 1:30 video of him. Of the 20 or so plays of him, only one is him throwing the football.

That tells me alot. Tells me that our linebackers should be getting a lot of tackles.

they did not beat wisconsin. Almost did though

they also have about a dozen wins against the worst teams in FBS and FCS

Air Force
Hawaii
UNLV
New Mexico
Texas State
Weber State
New Mexico State
UT-San Antonio
Idaho
LA Tech
Southern Utah
Wyoming
San Jose State

thats why they have 20 wins the last two years. Lets not blow this up and act like they didnt lose more than we did from their starting rotation and 2 deep. This UT team knows they cant take anyone light plus its the opener. they will be more than ready.
Combined win/loss total for the teams they beat last year was 46-66 . . . and that's if you include their bowl win.

I think it will be close thru 3 qts. then the Vols will pull away in the 4th.

No doubt in my mind that Butch will have this team prepared. :thumbsup:

BTW, just looked at Utah State's website, and they already have a Heisman campaign for Keeton.

They have a 1:30 video of him. Of the 20 or so plays of him, only one is him throwing the football.

That tells me alot. Tells me that our linebackers should be getting a lot of tackles.

kiss of death. starting a heisman campaign already and hasnt played a snap post injury. They started it last yr and he got hurt

kiss of death. starting a heisman campaign already and hasnt played a snap post injury.

Yeah....they may have just ended his football career. Only thing that can happen after that is he breaks a bone, or he sucks so badly he won't even get drafted.

We grease the floor with these guys and no one talks much about this game after about three weeks.

Heisman trophy truly represents how great you are as the best college player...Signed

Ty Detmer
Gino Torrreta
Charlie Ward
Rashaan Salaam
Danny Wuerffel
Ron Dayne
Chris Weinke
Eric Couch- Classic
Jason White-Really Classic
Troy Smith

He's also coming off of a knee injury. His first game back in action will be in Neyland. We'll see how much confidence he has in his knee the first time he gets hit or scrambles.

Our defense will determine the outcome IMO. I could see a 35-31 win or a 35-14 win. I would like to think our team speed has dramatically improved, and with this game being in Neyland in August, I'd like to think the latter. If our offense struggles and they are able to hang around it will be a long game.

The offseason is waaaaaaay too long........I'm tired of predictions, let's play football!

Reactions: 1 person
He's also coming off of a knee injury. His first game back in action will be in Neyland. We'll see how much confidence he has in his knee the first time he gets hit or scrambles.

Yeah, i would say...just wait until Eric Berry meets him across the middle...

But....now there's TWO Berry brothers to meet him across the middle.

Hope he has life insurance....

Reactions: 3 people
Heisman trophy truly represents how great you are as the best college player...Signed

Ty Detmer
Gino Torrreta
Charlie Ward
Rashaan Salaam
Danny Wuerffel
Ron Dayne
Chris Weinke
Eric Couch- Classic
Jason White-Really Classic
Troy Smith

You forgot the most classic... Charles Woodson. :yes::rofl:

Last edited:
Our defense will determine the outcome IMO. I could see a 35-31 win or a 35-14 win. I would like to think our team speed has dramatically improved, and with this game being in Neyland in August, I'd like to think the latter. If our offense struggles and they are able to hang around it will be a long game.

The offseason is waaaaaaay too long........I'm tired of predictions, let's play football!

I agree. We must contain the edges and not allow Keaton to kill us with his legs. If he can't run, I can't see USU winning this one.

Agree with your post, except that they lost to Wisconsin.

VN Store

Back