A few thoughts after Day 1

TechnoVol

Watched all the video I could find from last night... a few things that caught my attention.

1) Transfer WR Adrian Gamble looks very fast and fluid with good hands
2) Cortez McDowell is a BIG safety
3) Vic Wharton gets to top speed in a couple of strides, caught passes & punts very well
4) Alton Howard looks to have dropped about 15 lbs from last season and is quicker
5) Derrell Scott looks much bigger than I thought he'd be and is super quick
6) Todd Kelly Jr. is a BIG safety
7) TE, whoever it is will be a weapon for us
8) WR position is stocked 10 deep, at least
9) Lane, Hurd, Scott, Paulk et al will be fine as long as OL comes together
10) Worley has added some serious zip to his arm

Reactions: 17 people
Can you link some videos? I only saw a brief 1:30 minute one and it had Sarah Mitchell so that is all I remember.

Reactions: 5 people
Watched all the video I could find from last night... a few things that caught my attention.

3) Vic Wharton gets to top speed in a couple of strides, caught passes & punts very well
4) Alton Howard looks to have dropped about 15 lbs from last season and is quicker

Everyone relax. Pig didn't lose 15lbs because that would put him at 170, still looks about 180-185 to me. TK at 203-205 isn't a "BIG" safety but that's good size for a young guy. Scott at 5'10-5'11 and 195 looks solid to me not sure why everyone is surprised, not like he's 180.

No comment on the TE position since we haven't started hitting. I assume the TE position will be a weapon considering what we'll have on the outside. But I just don't see why everyone is losing their minds with predictions after a helmets only practice.

GO VOLS

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone relax. Pig didn't lose 15lbs because that would put him at 170, still looks about 180-185 to me. TK at 203-205 isn't a "BIG" safety but that's good size for a young guy. Scott at 5'10-5'11 and 195 looks solid to me not sure why everyone is surprised, not like he's 180.

No comment on the TE position since we haven't started hitting. I assume the TE position will be a weapon considering what we'll have on the outside. But I just don't see why everyone is losing their minds with predictions after a helmets only practice.

GO VOLS
TE was a zero weapon last year....

But I just don't see why everyone is losing their minds with predictions after a helmets only practice.

GO VOLS

This fan base has been starved and absolutely void of seeing hardly any improvement from within the team over the last decade.

Yes it's the first day and take it for what it is...but be understanding of why they are being positive.

Reactions: 13 people
TE was a zero weapon last year....

Agreed and from what we've heard the young guys are an upgrade. But let's hold off on getting crazy just yet. I say give it till Thursday after a couple of full pads practices and then just lose your
poop.png

Reactions: 2 people
This fan base has been starved and absolutely void of seeing hardly any improvement from within the team over the last decade.

Yes it's the first day and take it for what it is...but be understanding of why they are being positive.

I agree. I've been starving and I'm extremely excited and positive, not saying you shouldn't be. But let's just chill with the predictions and such.:)

GO VOLS

I'm saying Alton Howard was pushing 200 lbs. last season. It was obvious to many who attended practice last night that his fitness has moved to another level. I'm guessing he's more like 185 lbs. right now

As for TK Jr and Cortez McDowell, I say they are BIG safeties for the same reason you did. It's not often first-year safeties come in with that size and speed.

Derrell Scott was around 180 lbs. when he finished his HS career. Based on what I saw last night it was surprising to see how he'd bulked up since the last time I saw him play live.

I'm not losing my mind, but I see light years difference already between this year and last in early camp. CBJ and staff were teaching how to run drills this time last year. The team looks more fit, looks like they know how to practice and has energy from start to finish. Yes, it's only helmets but we couldn't say the same thing this time last year.

All this said, I'm realistic and expect a 6-win season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
I'm saying Alton Howard was pushing 200 lbs. last season. It was obvious to many who attended practice last night that his fitness has moved to another level. I'm guessing he's more like 185 lbs. right now

Can you please provide some source where you saw this number? Everything I saw last year had him in the mid 180s

Agreed and from what we've heard the young guys are an upgrade. But let's hold off on getting crazy just yet. I say give it till Thursday after a couple of full pads practices and then just lose your
poop.png

Growler

Is Downs practicing and if so how does he look? I feel bad for him./

Is Downs practicing and if so how does he look? I feel bad for him./

He might be one of the Sr's that getting his playing time reduced more and more during the season.. Never hear Jones say anything about him

Can you please provide some source where you saw this number? Everything I saw last year had him in the mid 180s

All I've seen in print or online says the same thing you just said but looking at him last year he looked thicker especially in the lower body compared to last night.

Check out the attached picture, I combined a first week practice photo from last year and this year. He looks more cut and not quite as thick in the lower body.

Attachments

• Alton Howard 3.jpg
    Alton Howard 3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
All I've seen in print or online says the same thing you just said but looking at him last year he looked thicker especially in the lower body compared to last night.

Check out the attached picture, I combined a first week practice photo from last year and this year. He looks more cut and not quite as thick in the lower body.

I agree he looks to have trimmed some fat and looks more aesthetic, but I honestly haven't heard about him being anything other than in the mid 180s. Either way it's not that important. Carry on brother.

Can't tell a damn thing from that pic.

Reactions: 7 people
I agree he looks to have trimmed some fat and looks more aesthetic, but I honestly haven't heard about him being anything other than in the mid 180s. Either way it's not that important. Carry on brother.

It's all good... Since I couldn't find any weights for Alton in print that would support my observation, I thought I'd try and find photos to compare. The difference seemed noticeable to me last night and since he's 5'8" I'm willing to say a difference of rearranging as little as 5-10 lbs. could make him look a good deal different. I'm pulling for Alton to have a big year.

VN Store

Back