Greatest Walk On In College Football History...

TNHopeful505

I was just wondering, with Kameel Jackson walking on....obviously, he is not a scrub at all, and should see time for us...

But I'd like to ask you all. Who is the greatest player to have a collegiate career that began their career as a walk-on?

I'd be interested to hear your answers. Doesn't have to be UT, but can be.

It's one thing to start as a redshirt....but another to walk on completely, and then show out, and contribute majorly.

Brandon Burlsworth, O lineman at Arkansas in the late 90s. Went from walk on to starter to captain to NFL pick. Tragically, was killed in a car accident before he ever made it to the first mini camp in the NFL.

What was that guys name from Pikeville who made all the tackles on kickoffs for the Vols? He was more country than two rows of okra

That was during the Majors era.

Reactions: 1 person
I can't speak to every team, but Florida has had a few who were pretty good.

Louis Oliver was an all-American and 1st round draft pick as a safety.

Kerwin Bell became (at one time) the school's all time passing leader. Actually, he was also the SEC's all time leading passer when he finished his career.

Chris Doering still holds the career receiving touchdown record in the SEC.

that's off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Clay Matthews (USC), Jordy Nelson (Kansas State), JJ Watt (Wisconsin), and Santana Moss (Miami) were all walk ons

Karl Mecklenberg (Minnesota), Aenaes Williams (Southern), Darren Woodson (Arizona State), Andre Wadsworth (Florida State), Scott Fujita (Cal), Logan Mankins (Fresno State)

also all walk-ons

What was that guys name from Pikeville who made all the tackles on kickoffs for the Vols? He was more country than two rows of okra

That was during the Majors era.

Houston Thomas...was on the team in the late '80's and did indeed make a lot of tackles on kickoffs.

I can't speak to every team, but Florida has had a few who were pretty good.

Louis Oliver was an all-American and 1st round draft pick as a safety.

Kerwin Bell became (at one time) the school's all time passing leader. Actually, he was also the SEC's all time leading passer when he finished his career.

Chris Doering still holds the career receiving touchdown record in the SEC.

that's off the top of my head.

Good, talk about it on the forum at GatorSports.com: University of Florida Gators Athletics, Scores, Schedules

Oh wait! They pulled the plug on that.......bwaa haaa haaaaa haaaaaaaaa ha ha!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Houston Thomas...was on the team in the late '80's and did indeed make a lot of tackles on kickoffs.

Houston Thomas!!! Ching Ching!

Winner winner....chicken dinner! He talked like Davy Crocket!

Houston Thomas was the greatest walk-on in NCAA history (in my heart)!

Who holds the single game receiving record (yards) at TN? That guy was a walk on. If he hadn't hurt his neck against UGA I think he would be in the mix.

VN Store

Back