Okay I was a bit harsh on Dooley.....

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
I know he tried. I know he didn't have all good players. I appreciate his effort. I should not knock the guy. I agree.

Funny though how some defend a multi-millionaire coach and manage to harass, poke fun, ridicule players half his age their entire career at UT and think that's okay.

He deserves everything he gets. Treated hard working people around town like second class citizens while being derelict in his own job & left town with a boat load of money for it.

Reactions: 57 people
I know he tried. I know he didn't have all good players. I appreciate his effort. I should not knock the guy. I agree.

Funny though how some defend a multi-millionaire coach and manage to harass, poke fun, ridicule players half his age their entire career at UT and think that's okay.

Who is defending him?... Seems like Dooley get trashed for his odd behavior and lack of ability every chance that is presented...

Reactions: 4 people
Dooley was in over his head as head coach at the very least. Everything I hear second hand from people who were around him is not good.

In retrospect we should have hired an interim head coach and taken a year to do a search after Lane bolted.

Agree. And agree it is just as bad to do the same to the same players AFTER the coaching change. There are WAY too many here guilty of throwing players under the bus in an effort to excuse the current staff last fall. Was it a great roster? Absolutely not. Did the coaches do a "great job" or get everything out of that roster that they could...? No.

Dooley tried and failed. Way too many here make it personal as if he intentionally hurt them or something. Jones is trying. He may fail. But it won't be because he's an evil person or even a horrible coach. UT needs a unique guy to turn things around. They have to be able to recruit at a high level to bring in competitive talent then they have to be an exceptional coach and developer of that talent. "Good" will never be close to good enough.

Reactions: 3 people

Another Dooley thread....

Reactions: 2 people

Why do you still make threads?

Reactions: 8 people
Some people have never held a position of responsibility nor observed someone in that kind of position sinking. It produces a level of stress most of you will never know. It is humiliating and crushes a person's ego completely. Different people react differently but virtually all will enter a stage of deep depression. Dooley's behavior is consistent with someone trapped in depression created by a massive personal failure.

He's not the devil and, no, not even if he lashed out at people around him. He's just a guy who was not up to the job, had everything go wrong against him that could, and was completely swallowed up by failure.

Reactions: 6 people
He deserves everything he gets. Treated hard working people around town like second class citizens while being derelict in his own job & left town with a boat load of money for it.

What do you want to bet that Dooley would trade every dime he got for a healthy Hunter and Bray throughout the '11 season? With those guys, he probably has an 8 win team and a completely different trajectory for the team.

Fans would have forgiven any personal flaw he might have had if he had won games.

Dooley sucked, but he was the only one that would take the job at the time. He did it for all the wrong reasons though. He knew a big payday was to be had and he played Hamilton like a drum. He cared nothing for UT just like the guy before him. To say he'd trade all his money for an 8 win season a couple years ago is plain ignorant. He hated it here.

Reactions: 2 people
Dooley sucked, but he was the only one that would take the job at the time. He did it for all the wrong reasons though. He knew a big payday was to be had and he played Hamilton like a drum. He cared nothing for UT just like the guy before him. To say he'd trade all his money for an 8 win season a couple years ago is plain ignorant. He hated it here.

Jones and Dooley took over the program with the same issues. Jones embraces everything and is selling the program 24/7 and Dooley went water skiing during the bye week.

Reactions: 6 people
Eff Dooley, that stupid dog, people who can't count, Sunseri, playing only one half and thinking something was accomplished, opportunity is nowhere, fat free ranch dressing, and if I missed any thing else eff them too.

Blessings VN. :)

Who sees Jones as turning program around?

Waiting to see... Recruiting was admirable the first year, great the second, and currently is tracking to be "average" in the 3rd.

The coaching last fall looked downright bad at times. It wasn't just players lacking physical ability but them not understanding where they should be, failing to play assignments, and not showing evidence of being up on opponent tendencies. My HOPE is that part of last fall was part of a strategy to turn the program around... but until that happens it is wise to wait and see.

When pretty much EVERY former player, who had any contact with DD, says he is a D*CK, I really don't need to know much more! JMO

Some people have never held a position of responsibility nor observed someone in that kind of position sinking. It produces a level of stress most of you will never know. It is humiliating and crushes a person's ego completely. Different people react differently but virtually all will enter a stage of deep depression. Dooley's behavior is consistent with someone trapped in depression created by a massive personal failure.

He's not the devil and, no, not even if he lashed out at people around him. He's just a guy who was not up to the job, had everything go wrong against him that could, and was completely swallowed up by failure.

This is pretty funny

Reactions: 1 person

There is no way anyone could have been too harsh on Dooley or Hamilton. Both were completely over their head and ruined a once proud Volunteer football program.

Dooley alienated former players and high school coaches all across the state. We were very fortunate that he lost to KY and collapsed in 2012. Otherwise he would have buried the program in 2013.

CBJ has serious work to do to raise this program back to national prominence. CBJ has done a great job so far. This year we will see if CBJ and staff can step it up with their in game coaching.

Did any you guys hear Swain recounting the story of the coach that had his shirt off, ready to tear into Dooley? Haha

VN Store

Back