Can the skill position talent offset the young lines?

SeniorDrill

Here is an excellent topic which can have a lot of different takes! We have a new offensive and defensive line that could make us very good if they are just average. However, when you look at the skilled positions on both offense and defense, we are loaded! Take the quarterbacks, the receivers, the linebackers, and the defensive backs and we don't look bad at all. This is not even considering the 32 newcomers adding to the strength. The kickers we know nothing much about how they will perform since they will be new also. Of course, that is a key but what if they are just average? Throw in the fact that we now have IMO one of the best coaching staffs in the country as an offset. They say hope springs eternal but if it all comes together this might be the turnaround year! Back to the basic question, can the skilled positions and coaching offset the young lines?

the best recruiting i will agree

as to best coaching staff,we will have to see

the offensive and defensive lines are what wins in the SEC

ours are going to suck for a better word,Till late in the year ,there young and have no leadership,they will have to grow into that,which should be a couple of years

then we will see some improvement

gonna be another tuff ass year

5 maybe 6 wins,book it :)

Reactions: 2 people
Don't ruin it for the "we're gonna suck" crowd.Being disappointed is a way of life for them and a habit they just can't break.They will be predicting 6 wins until hell freezes over.

VFE:angel:

Reactions: 7 people
Protection of the QB and opening up running lanes is absolutely necessary if the skill players are gonna be able to operate. Most defenses can easily shut down an offense if they can dominate the offensive line. We want be very good on offense unless the line is at least adequate.
The Defensive line is also vital for the defense to be any good. They must get pressure on the Quarterback or any good QB can pick a secondary apart no matter their ability.
I think both our lines will be far better than advertised. They will have to be if were gonna win enough to get to a bowl game this season.

You can still have a decent offense with a bad line. You just have to be creative. You have the get the ball out of the qb's hands quickly.

Defensive line may be a legitimate concern, though. We'll have to disguise coverages and bring the heat as much as possible.

Reactions: 1 person
4 of our projected starting offensive linemen are upperclassmen.
Inexperienced does not mean young.
Good observation! I really meant more inexperience than young. Those guys are chomping at the bit to prove they've got what it takes! Mack Crowder was listed as the #7 center in the nation by ESPN in his class. Mack has two older brothers: Michael, who played college football at Princeton University, and Matthew, who played college football at Cornell University. He is very intelligent along with his brothers. He has stepped up in a leadership role and will anchor the offensive line!

Reactions: 3 people
You can still have a decent offense with a bad line. You just have to be creative. You have the get the ball out of the qb's hands quickly.

Defensive line may be a legitimate concern, though. We'll have to disguise coverages and bring the heat as much as possible.

This guy will be calling for Jones to be fired by October.

Replacing your offensive tackles means a lot of Max protection at the beginning of the season.

DT pure punishment and getting wore down. The depth there night be the thinnest in a generation

This guy will be calling for Jones to be fired by October.
I think he may actually be trying to say that you can win if the line is mediocre using those tactics. If the lines step up and are average or better, which I totally expect, Volnation and the nation will be surprised.

Don't ruin it for the "we're gonna suck" crowd.Being disappointed is a way of life for them and a habit they just can't break.They will be predicting 6 wins until hell freezes over.

Sadly, you are right. A stormy weather forecast makes their day. Sunshine to them is like a curse.

Reactions: 5 people

I agree. Youth can be overcome to a large degree, and lets not forget the biggest factors heart, desire, hunger and will power. People always forget the human element. These are the things make the great players great. GBO:peace2:

Since we are a run first offense... I feel somewhat better than if Chaney was still here.. Simms took an incredible beating when Bray was a FR and injured against good DL's.

Does anyone else think that our young TE's might be able to help out the offensive line some? I mean if you leave them in to block then they should be able to help in that way at least. And if you send them out on a passing route then hey, we might actually have a threat at TE again.

Quick passes to anyone helps out the OL. Quick passes to the TE when he is matched on a LB can make you look real good.

Does anyone else think that our young TE's might be able to help out the offensive line some? I mean if you leave them in to block then they should be able to help in that way at least. And if you send them out on a passing route then hey, we might actually have a threat at TE again.

Quick passes to anyone helps out the OL. Quick passes to the TE when he is matched on a LB can make you look real good.

Depending if they are strong to block or chip a DE

Since the skilled positions depend on the lines to make their job easier. It would be especially tough in the SEC. Good line play on Offense gives the QB time and makes the running backs holes. Good line play on defense shortens the time the DBs have to cover and keeps the O-Line off the LBs. If those things do not happen than it makes a long day.

Watch a replay of the last Superbowl. You can have the best quarterback on earth and all kinds of weapons around him, but if he's getting hit before he can even get his feet set then...well...it's not good.

Watch a replay of the last Superbowl. You can have the best quarterback on earth and all kinds of weapons around him, but if he's getting hit before he can even get his feet set then...well...it's not good.

True, but in a strange way in this context, you're actually arguing for the "line doesn't matter" side. It was widely stated that the Broncos had one of the best O-lines in the league. They got out-schemed and out-hearted by an inferior opponent who wanted it more.

I hope to see our "suspect" lines vastly outperform their highly touted predecessors with heart, determination, and preparation.

AV

As it stands right now, the "we're gonna suck" crowd is on a 4 year win streak with their predictions. Just sayin.

Yes with proper coaching and development an improvement from last season is entirely possible, especially if the QB play is above average.

O-line is probably one of the most important aspects of an offense. They get no recognition but are essential to a successful offense

One thing that gives me hope is the type of offensive scheme we run. Even in the run game, we run a lot of misdirection and setup plays. It leaves the d-line wondering where the point of attack is and eventually slows them down a step. This is a scheme that allows you to steal some games with lesser talent.

I agree. Youth can be overcome to a large degree, and lets not forget the biggest factors heart, desire, hunger and will power. People always forget the human element. These are the things make the great players great. GBO:peace2:

And Butch will have them motivated and believing. That'll play a large part. I'm not expecting a national championship, but I do think we will surprise some folks.

VN Store

Back