S&C Coach Question

CroKev

The Oldest Sport
OK, I'm trying to figure out just where we are with our Strength & Conditioning status. Not too long ago, we had Bennie Wylie coaching the guys and his forte was, evidently, running & conditioning. Then Ron McKeefery arrived and he was the guy known as the one who spent a brief episode coaching the U.S. Army Special Forces.

Now we have Dave Lawson and we're hearing that UT currently has 11 guys on the team squatting 600 lbs. - a feat nobody could do last year. What I want to know is this: WHERE EXACTLY DOES THAT STACK UP WITH THE REST OF THE CONFERENCE? It would be good to see some apples and apples comparisons over the summer. Finally, I don't remember our guys being whipped as much in the 2nd half of games last year as they were in previous years.

Attachments

• Weightlifting Pants Burst.gif
    Weightlifting Pants Burst.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 591
Reactions: 6 people
I'm not sure how it stacks up in the conference, but I know that the fact that we had nobody last year who could do that is pretty sad. I would have expected at least some of the "experienced" OL to be able to.

Dave's philosophy is strength without losing agility. He wants them to be able to play fast. There's a large portion of conditioning that goes along with the weight training. So, you may have some teams that have a ton of guys that can squat 600 pounds....but can they squat 600 pounds and play fast? You can have massive OL and DL that can't explode off of the ball, or that can't move their feet fast enough to keep up. What good does that do you? Being 300 pounds and winded after 4 plays isn't what is sought after anymore.

Butch wants a team that plays fast on offense. So, while you want OL that are big, you gotta have guys that are still very much in shape and that can move their feet quickly to be able to keep up with the tempo of play that Butch wants. And on defense, in order to be able to keep up with the trending no-huddle offenses, you've gotta be strong yes, but you've gotta be in great shape.

Funny story about Dave that I was told. While at a previous stop, Dave had some linemen who got in trouble off the field, or who broke a team rule. So, he had the lineman get in a three point stance, and he put pennies on the ground. He had them put their finger on the penny and push it around for hours in the three point stance. That was his form of discipline. I thought that was humorous.

Anyways, yes, you are correct about our conditioning. You could see it in the UGA game specifically. We weren't tired last year. We weren't laying down and dying in the fourth quarter. We're in shape. I think that's one of the reasons I'm not as worried about the OL this year. I dont think they're going to be the type of OL we are used to seeing here at TN, but I think they're going to be able to do what Butch wants them to in his system well.

Reactions: 11 people
I doubt D1 universities publish the strength measurables of their team, though I wish they would. We did in high school - obviously worlds of difference there. We kept records on the website of each players bench, squat, and clean maxes. Obviously position size and height were knowns so you could look at the data and compare.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not sure how it stacks up in the conference, but I know that the fact that we had nobody last year who could do that is pretty sad. I would have expected at least some of the "experienced" OL to be able to.

Dave's philosophy is strength without losing agility. He wants them to be able to play fast. There's a large portion of conditioning that goes along with the weight training. So, you may have some teams that have a ton of guys that can squat 600 pounds....but can they squat 600 pounds and play fast? You can have massive OL and DL that can't explode off of the ball, or that can't move their feet fast enough to keep up. What good does that do you? Being 300 pounds and winded after 4 plays isn't what is sought after anymore.

Butch wants a team that plays fast on offense. So, while you want OL that are big, you gotta have guys that are still very much in shape and that can move their feet quickly to be able to keep up with the tempo of play that Butch wants. And on defense, in order to be able to keep up with the trending no-huddle offenses, you've gotta be strong yes, but you've gotta be in great shape.

Funny story about Dave that I was told. While at a previous stop, Dave had some linemen who got in trouble off the field, or who broke a team rule. So, he had the lineman get in a three point stance, and he put pennies on the ground. He had them put their finger on the penny and push it around for hours in the three point stance. That was his form of discipline. I thought that was humorous.

Anyways, yes, you are correct about our conditioning. You could see it in the UGA game specifically. We weren't tired last year. We weren't laying down and dying in the fourth quarter. We're in shape. I think that's one of the reasons I'm not as worried about the OL this year. I dont think they're going to be the type of OL we are used to seeing here at TN, but I think they're going to be able to do what Butch wants them to in his system well.

Agreed: Strength, Speed and Endurance! I think we will hit the sweet spot for all three and I think it depends on the player position what that sweet spot is.

For example, a CB who can squat 400 pounds but gets torched on every play, That doesn't mean squat...pun intended.

Reactions: 2 people
Because we have had so many dang S&C coaches one thing about Volnation is that the latest one we have is always better than the last one we had.

To be honest I dont think any of them have been here long enough to have a great deal of influence. Mark Smith the first one Kiffy hired was real good but ogre chased him off, then Aaron Ausmus was real good and DD chased him off.
I never got the Mckeffery hire, having played football and been trained in the military they are 2 different worlds, only thing in common was violence.

However I think the 30 we have had since Long left have all been better than him.

I read something somewhere about this off season being really focused on strength. So much so that they were actually getting into conditioning a little late this year. My guess is that's due to our youth and need for bulking guys up fast. I thought our conditioning was pretty good last year versus previous though.

It may be unrelated to Lawson but I thought we played aggressive and brought the pain to several teams last year. I'm hoping being even stronger just makes that even more evident.

OK, I'm trying to figure out just where we are with our Strength & Conditioning status. Not too long ago, we had Bennie Wylie coaching the guys and his forte was, evidently, running & conditioning. Then Ron McKeefery arrived and he was the guy known as the one who spent a brief episode coaching the U.S. Army Special Forces.

Now we have Dave Lawson and we're hearing that UT currently has 11 guys on the team squatting 600 lbs. - a feat nobody could do last year. What I want to know is this: WHERE EXACTLY DOES THAT STACK UP WITH THE REST OF THE CONFERENCE? It would be good to see some apples and apples comparisons over the summer. Finally, I don't remember our guys being whipped as much in the 2nd half of games last year as they were in previous years.

Thank God that he is Dave "Lawson" and NOT Dave "Clawson"

Reactions: 4 people
Because we have had so many dang S&C coaches one thing about Volnation is that the latest one we have is always better than the last one we had.

To be honest I dont think any of them have been here long enough to have a great deal of influence. Mark Smith the first one Kiffy hired was real good but ogre chased him off, then Aaron Ausmus was real good and DD chased him off.
I never got the Mckeffery hire, having played football and been trained in the military they are 2 different worlds, only thing in common was violence.

However I think the 30 we have had since Long left have all been better than him.

I remember with Long we kept hearing about guys breaking bench press records. I would much rather guys be breaking squat records than bench press records. Lower body strength is a lot more functional for football.

Seeing all the pics of this years team in the weight room , IMO they all seem to be in real good shape. I don't think we looked this fit in awhile.

Thanks to you and to the OP for these insights. It sounds like Lawson might become to today's teams what John Stuckey was to Vols teams of a past era. If memory serves, maxing out was a thing of pride in Stuckey's weight room and I don't recall his teams ever running out of gas. But I might be wrong.

Thanks for the insights and views. My hope is that we start seeing the strongest, fastest, most athletic and best-conditioned teams of the modern Big Orange era.

Jac McClendon benched 645 lbs while at UT and last year nobody could squat 600? That's crazy and really damn sad considering all the 300+ pound guys we had.

Last edited:
Thanks to you and to the OP for these insights. It sounds like Lawson might become to today's teams what John Stuckey was to Vols teams of a past era. If memory serves, maxing out was a thing of pride in Stuckey's weight room and I don't recall his teams ever running out of gas. But I might be wrong.

Thanks for the insights and views. My hope is that we start seeing the strongest, fastest, most athletic and best-conditioned teams of the modern Big Orange era.

Coach Stucky's fingerprints are all over the success UT had in the 90s.

Hell of a man.

I can't say that I know Dave very well as a coach. I try not to talk about football when I'm around him. I figure he's sick of talking about it. But I am pleased to say that I do know him as a man, and if he is half the strength coach as he is a man, then he will be every bit and more of what Stuckey is. Dave is a fantastic guy, with a fantastic family. Has been nothing but kind to me every time I've spoken with him.

That being said, yes, I think that too often people try to focus on "What do we need to teach, and what do we need to already have?"

Some coaches bring in size, and then try to add strength, speed and quickness. Some coaches bring in strength, and try to add speed and quickness and size.

I think the reason you're seeing not as much talk about conditioning (though there has been a lot, I know, the late night Neyland conditioning from the early summer is one example), is because Butch and company brought in guys who have natural speed, and who already had great conditioning. ALSO, bringing in 14 EE's, means that these guys went straight from their senior year of high school to a College S&C program. Conditioning wouldn't have been a huge issue for them. But getting stronger and bigger, and working on their quickness would be. Those are things that you have to continually get better on in the SEC.

But I think that's why you haven't seen AS much conditioning this year.

Another Dave quote. He said that when he was at Cincinnati, they'd recruit guys who had a lot of potential, but he had to turn them in to athletes. But here, at Tennessee, he says they bring in athletes already, and he just gets to help them reach their potential. He says it's a whole new world.

Next time I see him, I'll ask him how excited he is to get a player like Kahlil McKenzie in the weight room in December.

Anyways, this team will be well conditioned. We will be deep and well conditioned, and we won't be pushed around on either line. That's one thing I do not at all worry about. We won't be the biggest on the field. But football is not about being the biggest. Or the quickest. Or the fastest. But if you can be the biggest and quickest and fastest all at the same time, and you can do it consistently, then you have DRAMATICALLY increased your chances of winning every single football game you play.

VN Store

Back