CFP projects TN to suck...

Uh...because the suck that has become Tennessee Football has been pretty strong for 10+ years??

just say'in...

Reactions: 4 people
I am as big of a fan as I've met, but I understand why people say we suck. Because we have lived through the worst era in UT football history.

What bothers me is that the national guys act like getting 32 highly touted kids is insignificant to this season. You hear things like "you don't win with freshmen, they're inexperienced on the OLine" etc.

My argument is that even in the last 10 years, heck maybe even 5, freshmen have changed. These kids have camps, private coaches, nutrition plans, more gyms are available at low prices etc. They're coming in and they're about as prepared as we've seen freshmen be.

Now that's not to say that we'll win 10 games, but nobody is expecting that. But why is 7 wins looked at as impossible by the national media? Because they're not in touch with every program.

I'll say it again, 7 wins is what I'm expecting. I'm hoping for 8, and I honestly don't think it's that crazy of a stretch.

Last year who would have picked us to beat a superior SC team? Or to take Georgia within an inch of another upset?

Now you infuse the team with more talent, although less experienced. And I say we're a better team. If Butch and company could coach up those guys from last year, I expect the same this year.

You have 6 games on the schedule that you're going to be the favorite in. Find one upset and bam there's 7 games.

Last year we had experienced OLine and DLine and still sucked so the theory that "no returning starters on either lines" is flawed. These kids have played, just not started a lot. And we got an upgrade at skill positions.

QB-better this year
RB-better this year
WR-better this year
TE-better this year
OL-not as talented, but we'll see if they can perform better since they fit this system better.

DL-taking a step back
LB-more athletic, a little better this year
DB-better this year
K-worse this year
P-worse this year
KR-better this year
PR-slightly better this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Wishful thinking

Take a hint at what coaches say and tweet

When you hear, "We are a young team"

'We will be one on the youngest teams in the country on both sides of the ball"

They are dropping hints that we shouldn't expect too much

Reactions: 10 people
I am as big of a fan as I've met, but I understand why people say we suck. Because we have lived through the worst era in UT football history.

What bothers me is that the national guys act like getting 32 highly touted kids is insignificant to this season. You hear things like "you don't win with freshmen, they're inexperienced on the OLine" etc.

My argument is that even in the last 10 years, heck maybe even 5, freshmen have changed. These kids have camps, private coaches, nutrition plans, more gyms are available at low prices etc. They're coming in and they're about as prepared as we've seen freshmen be.

Now that's not to say that we'll win 10 games, but nobody is expecting that. But why is 7 wins looked at as impossible by the national media? Because they're not in touch with every program.

I'll say it again, 7 wins is what I'm expecting. I'm hoping for 8, and I honestly don't think it's that crazy of a stretch.

Last year who would have picked us to beat a superior SC team? Or to take Georgia within an inch of another upset?

Now you infuse the team with more talent, although less experienced. And I say we're a better team. If Butch and company could coach up those guys from last year, I expect the same this year.

You have 6 games on the schedule that you're going to be the favorite in. Find one upset and bam there's 7 games.

Last year we had experienced OLine and DLine and still sucked so the theory that "no returning starters on either lines" is flawed. These kids have played, just not started a lot. And we got an upgrade at skill positions.

QB-better this year
RB-better this year
WR-better this year
TE-better this year
OL-not as talented, but we'll see if they can perform better since they fit this system better.

DL-taking a step back
DB-better this year
K-worse this year
P-worse this year
KR-better this year

While it's true that more and more freshmen are coming in physically ready to play, it's the MENTAL aspect of going from high school football to college football that most freshmen have the hardest time adjusting to. Nothing they do prior to stepping on campus can prepare them for that. The game is much faster than high school and these freshmen's heads are swimming as soon as they step on campus. Once they understand the game and what they are supposed to do, the game begins to slow down for them and they can just react without having to think too much. That usually takes at least a year in the program to get to that point. Bear Bryant used to say that for every freshman you start, you can pencil in a loss. I think he was right.

While it's true that more and more freshmen are coming in physically ready to play, it's the MENTAL aspect of going from high school football to college football that most freshmen have the hardest time adjusting to. Nothing they do prior to stepping on campus can prepare them for that. The game is much faster than high school and these freshmen's heads are swimming as soon as they step on campus. Once they understand the game and what they are supposed to do, the game begins to slow down for them and they can just react without having to think too much. That usually takes at least a year in the program to get to that point. Bear Bryant used to say that for every freshman you start, you can pencil in a loss. I think he was right.

I agree. But let's say that out of 32 new comers. 5 Freshmen and 2 Juco's contribute on a decent level. That's 7 guys, pretty big deal and it's not unrealistic.

Wonder why that is?

Maybe, but none of that measures up to having 2-3 years of experience in an SEC program - 2-3 years to have gotten bigger and stronger in the S&C program; 2-3 years to know the playbook and schemes; 2-3 years of developing team chemistry and trusting that you know exactly what the guys around you are going to do on every play.

I don't think any analysts is saying to is impossible for UT to get 6 wins; it's just what they expect to happen. Same for me; I expect UT to probably go 5-7; the youngest team in the SEC and maybe in college football playing what analysts project as the 3rd toughest schedule in the nation. But, I also believe there is the possibility - IF we get much better QB play this season; IF Malone and Pearson can provide immediate help at WR to take pressure off of North; IF Hurd is an immediate difference maker and Lane can stay healthy for a full season; IF the OL can at least hold its own, and not only open running lanes but also protect the QB (especially the blind side); IF Saulsberry can pick up where he was last season and also stay healthy; IF someone else can hold their own at the other DT spot; IF we can get a pass rush this season; IF we have the players this season who can set the edges and stop letting RBs and QBs run untouched around the corners for 80 yd TDs; IF we can avoid giving up 5+ big plays (and several times 20+) every game - then we can possibly win at least 7 games. But all analysts really have to go on is what we have done the last couple of seasons and the fact that we are even younger this season with a brutal schedule.

Reactions: 3 people

QB-better this year
RB-better this year
WR-better this year
TE-better this year

DL-taking a step back
DB-better this year
K-worse this year
P-worse this year
KR-better this year

A lot of fantasy and wishful thinking. Uga was without Gurley, Carolina qb was hurt.
Do you think our freshmen will be better as juniors and seniors? We have poor talent in junior/senior classes. Freshmen don't beat juniors and seniors.

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of fantasy and wishful thinking. Uga was without Gurley, Carolina qb was hurt.
Do you think our freshmen will be better as juniors and seniors? We have poor talent in junior/senior classes. Freshmen don't beat juniors and seniors.

I agree with you. But let me ask who would you rather take. Gurley as a freshman or R. Neal as a senior? I'm going to assume Gurley, talent> low talent+experience.

I'm not saying our freshmen will have near the impact that Gurley had. But who's to say that some of these guys won't live up to the billing?

Not sure who was hurt for SC, but UGA also had the statistically best QB the SEC has ever seen and barely beat out our bunch of older low talented guys with their older highly talented guys.

Reactions: 2 people
IF there's any reason to have a little hope in being better is the one thing that makes an IMMEDIATE impact.,,,,OVERALL TEAM SPEED....now obviously that speed needs a little talent(see our attempts in the past to put world class sprinters at wideout) but just closing the spacing gap is HUGE..,,hopefully we can still be in a couple of games late and have a chance and turn our season into success....and I think early enrollees can give an advantage where the freshmen are concerned,,,,we shall see.,,

IF there's any reason to have a little hope in being better is the one thing that makes an IMMEDIATE impact.,,,,OVERALL TEAM SPEED....now obviously that speed needs a little talent(see our attempts in the past to put world class sprinters at wideout) but just closing the spacing gap is HUGE..,,hopefully we can still be in a couple of games late and have a chance and turn our season into success....and I think early enrollees can give an advantage where the freshmen are concerned,,,,we shall see.,,

This man speaks the truth.

People underestimate how tough it is to try to rebuild from suckiness, install an entirely new system and program with the fewest Nfl players on the roster in 20 years, and play one of the toughest schedules possible.
Being yr 2 will make a big difference in what we see on the field and the speed with which we play. This year's team in another conference wins 9.

People underestimate how tough it is to try to rebuild from suckiness, install an entirely new system and program with the fewest Nfl players on the roster in 20 years, and play one of the toughest schedules possible.
Being yr 2 will make a big difference in what we see on the field and the speed with which we play. This year's team in another conference wins 9.

Spot on.. Jones took over a roster that had more holes than Loris Lerner's story about her IRS emails. Also, who has TN had as a real difference maker on D since Berry?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back