Is this team, preseason really different?

Is this preseason any different from other preseasons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pump Guy

If Steve Spurrier was my neighbor, I would move.
This is the time of year I always start drinking the Kool-Aid even though it is a running joke with several of my friends that the same newspaper articles have been running since the early 70's and they just change the names.

A nice article, Freshmen figure to factor in UT Vols' D-line mix | Times Free Press, with the quote that really got me thinking: "I haven't seen anything like it," he said. "We'll have a tough day, a tough squat day, a tough running day, and I come back 20 minutes later, you see younger guys still in there doing some extra [triceps] and [biceps], or extra on-the-field work, some extra hands. I've had a lot of guys say, 'Hey, Curt, you ready to go watch film'".

Is this team, preseason different than any other preseason?

Reactions: 7 people
This is the time of year I always start drinking the Kool-Aid even though it is a running joke with several of my friends that the same newspaper articles have been running since the early 70's and they just change the names.

A nice article, Freshmen figure to factor in UT Vols' D-line mix | Times Free Press, with the quote that really got me thinking: "I haven't seen anything like it," he said. "We'll have a tough day, a tough squat day, a tough running day, and I come back 20 minutes later, you see younger guys still in there doing some extra [triceps] and [biceps], or extra on-the-field work, some extra hands. I've had a lot of guys say, 'Hey, Curt, you ready to go watch film'".

compared to the past four years? I would say it is different, we have real competition at every position

Reactions: 5 people
The attitude seems to be much better. The conditioning will become obvious later. Time will tell but I'm upbeat about it.

It's a little bit different, but not as much as everyone thinks.

I can't believe the things people believe about this past year's recruiting class. Tennessee is going to win the Super Bowl in two years because of this class.

I have said on numerous occasions that recruiting is important because it makes these games a fair fight and Tennessee hasn't been in a fair fight in a long time. But, a quick look at the recruiting rankings will tell you that five or six schools on Tennessee' s schedule bring in the same kind of recruiting class every year.

The light can be seen at the end of the tunnel. But, the talent is in the freshman class and you don't win with freshman.

Bottom line, Tennessee is still going to be an underdog in a lot of games and will still lose more games than anyone here would like. It's still going to be a fairly mediocre year, imo.

However, better times are coming as these kids grow up and these games become more and more of a fair fight. At that point, Tennessee will win its share.

Reactions: 16 people
3 years ago the players went to the gym, checked their name off and left without lifting a single weight.
This year sounds like they are going back for a second dose. I'd say that is a big difference and will pay dividends down the road

Reactions: 7 people
Attitude seems to be the biggest difference. That alone could win a close game or two, such as Vandy last year or Missouri two years ago.

The talent and experience levels may not be greatly better, but are both certainly headed in the right direction.

Reactions: 2 people
The change in shower etiquette alone should give rise to a bowl bid this season.

The bacon strip left in the boxers by Dooley is finally starting to be washed away.. Some but not a lot evidence remain.

Reactions: 1 person
3 years ago the players went to the gym, checked their name off and left without lifting a single weight.
This year sounds like they are going back for a second dose. I'd say that is a big difference and will pay dividends down the road

Can you provide a source for that first sentence, chief?

I think the fact that our players are measurably stronger, and are building bonds and pushing eachother despite so many of them being freshmen is evidence in itself.

Can you provide a source for that first sentence, chief?

Players have said this about the Dooley staff. I can't remember which players, but I do remember reading this as soon as Butch was hired. The biggest proof might be Palardy.

Reactions: 3 people
Johnny Manziel and Jameis Winston think otherwise...

Did they have any teammates or did they just go on the field by themselves?

Florida State has had 18 players taken in the NFL draft the last 2 seasons and will be represented big time in the 2015 draft.

How about finding an apples to apples comparison?

Find me a team that won with a bunch of no talent upperclassmen and a bunch of freshman.

I don't understand the constant need to find every potential exception to the rule, instead of paying attention to the rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
We don't have either of them on our roster.

Yea? FSU and aTm didn't know they had them either. That's what happens sometimes. Players surprise you. Anyone think North was going to have a big impact last year? Probably not, until he single handedly beat South Carolina. How do we know Jalen Hurd won't come in and bulldoze everyone? How do we know the Berry twins won't have 3 INT's a game? We don't. So don't tell me that we don't have a Johnny Manziel or a Jameis Winston, because you don't know.

Last edited:
Can't believe I am agreeing with a gator but you are correct. Now, we could possibly win enough to make a bowl game if these guys can put together an effort like UGA and USC last year again. If they do improved playmaking ability may help us get over the hump.

Now I have to go shower and try to get the gator stench off of me.

It's a little bit different, but not as much as everyone thinks.

I can't believe the things people believe about this past year's recruiting class. Tennessee is going to win the Super Bowl in two years because of this class.

I have said on numerous occasions that recruiting is important because it makes these games a fair fight and Tennessee hasn't been in a fair fight in a long time. But, a quick look at the recruiting rankings will tell you that five or six schools on Tennessee' s schedule bring in the same kind of recruiting class every year.

The light can be seen at the end of the tunnel. But, the talent is in the freshman class and you don't win with freshman.

Bottom line, Tennessee is still going to be an underdog in a lot of games and will still lose more games than anyone here would like. It's still going to be a fairly mediocre year, imo.

However, better times are coming as these kids grow up and these games become more and more of a fair fight. At that point, Tennessee will win its share.

Looking at this team realistically, there is much to look forward to. Like last year's team, this one is young and has to mature quickly. There is more speed than last year which was obviously lacking. The talent level should be much better. The youth and inexperience will show early but the team should improve greatly throughout the year and maybe pull off an upset or two.

I believe you win with a blend of all class years, because sometimes the freshman breaks off coverage because they saw something (Now that could turn into a touchdown for the visitor or a interception) But that's why we love college football, because you just don't know. Having leaders on the team will take care of the (non-lifting) just check the box issues, but knowledge of the game is GOLDEN, to CBJ point a lot of the players coming in are football junkies and that at some time will win games for you...coaches job is to put them in position to win..Go Vols

Not much if any different than the other major college programs being run by competent head coaches/staffs/administrations IMO. Worlds different from the previous regime's offseasons, especially the last couple ones.

Typical pre-season hype. Because of what happened in 2012 alone, I'm taking my realist medication this time of the year.

Reactions: 2 people
We are just so young, this team will be a lot better than last year and a lot more talent as we all know with the schedule we might not see the results in the wins, we just got to hang in there and get to next year when the results will show big time.

VN Store

Back