Northwest Georgia Vols

white65

Who are some players in the northwest Georgia area we've had?

I was driving to Atlanta the other day and I could only think of Da'rick Rogers. And how we recruited Von Bell.

Seems like Cameron Mayo, a defensive lineman was from the Dalton area several years ago and ended up getting booted from the team, and wasn't there a lineman from Northwest (or Northeast) Whitfield last year?

It hasn't really been a "hotbed" for talent, Dalton and Calhoun are the biggest schools in the area and apparently the biggest sport is soccer...

Who are some players in the northwest Georgia area we've had?

I was driving to Atlanta the other day and I could only think of Da'rick Rogers. And how we recruited Von Bell.

Steve Pool played LB at Lakeview Fort Oglethorpe and at Tennessee.

Bobby Scott was a QB at the old Rossville (now called Ridgeland) high school and was a QB at Tennessee

Reactions: 1 person
College Football Hall of Fame member Chip Kell lives in the Dalton area but grew up in Decatur,Ga.

Truth. He was at my wedding last month (cool story bro). Probably see him this weekend too since I'll be at his daughter engagement party (another cool story bro).

Reactions: 2 people
Stephaun Rains (Dalton - 2005), Patrick Rhodes (Dalton - 1991), Ricky Townsend (Dalton - 1972) Sean Young (Cohutta - 2000), Bill Mayo (Dalton - 1984) All went to Dalton High School except for Sean Young who went to Northwest Whitfield High School.

Reactions: 2 people
Truth. He was at my wedding last month (cool story bro). Probably see him this weekend too since I'll be at his daughter engagement party (another cool story bro).

BornOrange.......Tell Chip Kell all us old timers still remember him and his playing time on the Hill. Tks.

Reactions: 3 people
Seems like Cameron Mayo, a defensive lineman was from the Dalton area several years ago and ended up getting booted from the team, and wasn't there a lineman from Northwest (or Northeast) Whitfield last year?

It hasn't really been a "hotbed" for talent, Dalton and Calhoun are the biggest schools in the area and apparently the biggest sport is soccer...

I Actually work in Dalton and go run laps at the high school during my lunch break because it's in walking distance from my place of work. Soccer is an enormous sport in Whitfield county only because of the high Hispanic population in the Dalton area. Although Dalton wasn't as good last year as they have been in the past, I would venture to say that football is easily still the most popular sport at Dalton high school. Soccer is really big at Northwest and Sourheast because of their competition with Dalton, and also because they're not as good at football. :)

I definitely remember Stephaun Raines being recruited by and playing for Tennessee, and there was also another really big offensive lineman that played for Dalton high school that we recruited to Tennessee, but he ended up going to Georgia because he was a legacy player and his father had passed away several years before he graduated high school. So in reality, there was no way we were going to Lure this kid to Knoxville.

We would have had Vonn Bell (Rossville, GA) if it weren't for Captain Shower Hygiene.

Ya. I'm still bitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I Actually work in Dalton and go run laps at the high school during my lunch break because it's in walking distance from my place of work. Soccer is an enormous sport in Whitfield county only because of the high Hispanic population in the Dalton area. Although Dalton wasn't as good last year as they have been in the past, I would venture to say that football is easily still the most popular sport at Dalton high school. Soccer is really big at Northwest and Sourheast because of their competition with Dalton, and also because they're not as good at football. :)

I definitely remember Stephaun Raines being recruited by and playing for Tennessee, and there was also another really big offensive lineman that played for Dalton high school that we recruited to Tennessee, but he ended up going to Georgia because he was a legacy player and his father had passed away several years before he graduated high school. So in reality, there was no way we were going to Lure this kid to Knoxville.

Pretty spot on. I live here. Soccer is by far not the main sport, but the Hispanic population may make it seem that way lol. But this is a football town.

Southeast is getting better with football. Was more of a basketball school when I was there.(class of 01.)

Kell also coached at Southeast about 8 years ago. Had a lot of talent to work with, but it didn't happen. Same as when I was there. A lot of the athletes played other sports too and coaches didn't want them getting injured in football, so they wouldn't play. Then there was a lot of guys who were just scared to compete and try to help turn the program around.

Are we talking northwest GA including or excluding ATL bc that completely changes the conversation. We've gotten some good players out of ATL, and the area is always loaded. I just wasn't sure since I saw some posts talking about a lack of talent and others that mentioned Vols from the ATL area.

And I just scanned the thread so it's probably been mentioned...but Eric Berry (my favorite VFL) and his brothers are from around Atlanta.

NE Ga is definitely not part of the metro Atlanta area. Metro Atlanta is huge but doesn't reach up to the Dalton and Calhoun areas. Sean Young was the highest profile recruit that I remember coming out of that area. Thought to be a lock for Ga he spurned his Dad's wishes and opted for Tennessee. He never lived up to his hype but was a decent OL later in his career.

Croom is from Norcross High (Gwinnett County) which is northeast of Atlanta, not west. It's only a few exits from the perimeter, so its more of a metro ATL school.

Yeah you're right. I'm from Northwest GA but I've hardly gone to Norcross. I didn't realize it was that far east.

VN Store

Back