Butch and staff raises

Nocleats

Regardless of the 2014 teams record, Butch and his key assistants will have to get significant raises this year. Other schools are watching them rebuild and recruit and that is exactly what every team needing to replace a coach or an assistant wants.. Going to have to open the pocket books up and write some big boy checks. Tennessee can not afford to loose any of these guys because of money and win or lose this year with the youngest team in the nation, these coaches HAVE to be rewarded. GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 1 person
Hold on there, Sparky. The best recruiter in the world isn't worth squat if he can't put the right pieces in their places. We have all seen he is worlds ahead of Dumpster Juice Dooley, but let's see what kind of coach he can be on the field before we start throwing more money at him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Thought I could get in before the "whoa, whoa, whoas" got started....... I was wrong.

I dont even know how much BJ makes but I can darn sure see that he is earning every bit of it.

Reactions: 6 people
The way I see it, UT doesn't have a choice but to pay them whatever it takes to keep them here. Not saying I'd pay them just to pay them but it would cost a lot more to replace a Butch, Thig, etc than to just give them a raise.

Reactions: 3 people
I'll say this

He's earned every cent he was promised.

And if he wins 7 games this year and beats another rival, I say you have to pay him and his staff a bit more.

Down the road when he's winning 10 games year in and year out is when you take out the checkbook.

Winning this year is not a prerequisite for getting a raise IMO. He's obviously putting in the hard work and he's been a winner everywhere he's coached. We all know wins are going to be hard to come by this year. (at least rational people know it).

Reactions: 2 people
ALL coaches should be evaluated at season's end based on recruiting, academics, and athletics. They all share a responsibility in all three. Unlike MH, who handed out raises and extensions like Halloween treats, DH knows what he's doing and coaches will get increases when they earn them.

Reactions: 5 people
According to my google search CBJ is paid $2.95 mil which ranks him 7th in the SEC. If he and his staff continue to progress the pay will follow.

Winning this year is not a prerequisite for getting a raise IMO. He's obviously putting in the hard work and he's been a winner everywhere he's coached. We all know wins are going to be hard to come by this year. (at least rational people know it).

Exactly! This is the youngest team in the country. There is a HUGE difference between an 18 yr old and a 22 year old.. Our troubles on the DLine and depth cant be overstated. Not excuses but reasons. Those who will attack Jancek this year because Tenns DLine will not be able to take the pressure off the secondary or LBs will be wrong. Thigpen, Elder, Azzani, Gillespie will all have to have raises or they will be stolen away.. Its not Butchs fault that Kiffin, or Dooley did not recruit DLineman and to expect that problem to be corrected over a season with Xs and Os is naĂŻve

Reactions: 7 people
Dammit people he's a proven recruiter and if you will only look it up he's a proven winner also. you ought to be saying, "I can't wait until he gets all the bricks laid." He also loves the Tennessee VOLS. Enjoy it.

Reactions: 4 people
Dammit people he's a proven recruiter and if you will only look it up he's a proven winner also. you ought to be saying, "I can't wait until he gets all the bricks laid." He also loves the Tennessee VOLS. Enjoy it.

Love Butch and his staff but until he wins on the field his salary is right where it needs to be. I don't think he can spend 2.9 million per year. He's not in any danger of applying for an EBT card no need to panic

Reactions: 5 people

What makes you think any of those people are posting here? I mean.....besides me :)

His excellent recruiting so far only gets him to the "Put Up or Shut Up" phase quicker. I don't think it qualifies him for a raise just yet...

The rubber will meet the pavement soon and we will see our Win column trend upwards commensurately with our recruiting. If so his pay will also...

If not what excuse will he have if we are hovering around 5-7 wins in 2015-2016?

I am a big fan of Butch and Co. but that is how is see it.

Regardless of the 2014 teams record, Butch and his key assistants will have to get significant raises this year. Other schools are watching them rebuild and recruit and that is exactly what every team needing to replace a coach or an assistant wants.. Going to have to open the pocket books up and write some big boy checks. Tennessee can not afford to loose any of these guys because of money and win or lose this year with the youngest team in the nation, these coaches HAVE to be rewarded. GO BIG ORANGE!

Money won't necessarily keep them all here. The reason I say that is because if some were offered a promotion to move up the coaching ranks, then they would likely go.
Move from LB coach to Defensive CoOrdinator or from Receivers coach to Offensive CoOrdinator.

It has happened before. Chavis moved from LB to DC. Sanders moved from QB to OC. Cutcliffe moved from QB to OC.
The money is nice but you can't go from LB coach to Head Coach. You have to be an DC first. So, a career move may cause us to lose some of our coaches.

I rarely post on the board, but I read it several times a day--boring job, I know. Anyway, I am a huge CBJ fan and think he and his staff are doing a great job. I couldn't be happier with the national attention we are getting on the recruiting front, and, as our most hated brethren south of us has shown, recruiting has a lot to do with winning ball games.

I have some friends who went to the NCAA Tourney this year and CBJ was at the UT-UM game. My friends got to meet CBJ, but they said he spent most of his time in a suite with a bunch of Michigan fans. Also, I read something from an interview with CDT that he knew CBJ got back to Michigan as often as he could, but he (CDT) did not go back that often.

That being said, does anyone else have the hidden fear of CBJ's success coupled with another lack-luster performance from Brady Hoke equal CBJ looking at Michigan? Or Michigan looking at him?

Bottom line is......the wins are coming and there's nothing the Gators, Bammers, Bulldogs, Dores, Wildcats, Rebels, or Sooners can do to us this year thats gonna stop it. 2015 and especially 2016 is going to be fun boys, just believe and enjoy the ride. They might not come this year but they are coming!

VN Store

Back