SDS - Who will win the SEC East in 2014?

WilliamDuVOL

Who will win the SEC East in 2014? | Saturday Down South

Too many question marks

Tennessee Volunteers
Vanderbilt Commodores

Too many questions exist for Tennessee and Vanderbilt to compete for the East. Tennessee has to replace both lines of scrimmage and has questions at quarterback. The running game will be fine, anchored by Jalen Hurd and Marlin Lane, and the Vols could boast the top receiving corps in the conference, headlined by All-SEC candidate Marquez North. The secondary and linebacking corps should be fine, but the defensive line and offensive line are major concerns. Vanderbilt loses experience, but overall, there shouldn’t be too big of a drop off from 2013 to 2014. The Commodores have the easiest schedule in the SEC, and that should pay dividends when Derek Mason is pushing for his first bowl game appearance as a head coach. The offensive line and running backs are strengths; questions remain in the defensive secondary, at receiver and at quarterback.

Some positive talk about us, but I have to say if the defense comes together well, we could potentially be a "dark horse" candidate. Time will tell.

As an edit, a very interesting thing I notice is how many teams have mentionable secondary issues, and we are mentioned as having a killer WR core. If the O line holds up, many of our games could come down to who can simply outscore the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
A dark horse?

what-do-you-mean-you-people-tropic-thunder-movie--1309633407.jpg

I am not sure why people are overhyping a team like Florida who went 4-8 last year. They have not changed much and still have Will Muschump as their head coach. That's cool and all but Darkhorse? Nah, not even.

Regardless, Georgia or South Carolina SHOULD win the East, but Tennessee was relatively close to beating both of them last year (Beating SoCar.), and even though we lost a lot on both sides of the line, I don't see the production going down much.

We play a lot of tough games this year, and its going to be hard for us to win many, but the East is WEAK sauce this year. Really, its a toss up, and anyone can win besides Vandy and Kentucky.

The OL last year underachieved. This years OL definitely has less talent but i'm not convinced they will preform far below last years group.

The DL last year was slow and lacked playmakers... Even though we lost everyone i actually think this group will out preform last years. Way more explosiveness, Vereen and Maggit, and talent on the DL this season. We do need some guys to step up and stay healthy on the interior of that line though.

We should be better everywhere else than last year as well.

The East is down.

Just gotta put it all together!

Who will win the SEC East in 2014? | Saturday Down South

Some positive talk about us, but I have to say if the defense comestogether well, we coul potentially be a "dark horse" candidate. Time will tell.

As an edit, a very interesting thing I notice is how many teams have mentionable secondary issues, and we are mentioned as having a killer WR core. If the O line holds up, many of our games could come down to who can simply outscore the other.

We will not be in a shooting match with other teams unfortunately. I dont care how good our wide outs are, if the QB cant throw the ball downfield more than 5 yards with accuracy and not throw to the guy that is double covered instead of the wide open man, then we wont be outscoring many.

Also, our defense is going to be pretty bad by all accounts. We will most likely be playing from behind against most good opponents and therefore relying too much on the passing game to catch up. Puts more pressure on the line and the QBs.

I think Georgia is the favorite to win the East.

They are

odds to win the SEC

Alabama 13/10
Georgia 15/4
Auburn 4/1
LSU 8/1
South Carolina 8/1
Ole Miss 15/1
Florida 18/1
Missouri 33/1
Miss St 55/1
Texas A&M 65/1
Tennessee 110/1
Arkansas 225/1
Vanderbilt 225/1
Kentucky 225/1

Check this out from August 14, 2013

Auburn Football: Tigers Bound for Rough Season No Matter Who Wins QB Battle | Bleacher Report

The Tigers should use this season as a stepping stone for the future and can’t have very high hopes. The best-case scenario is that the program wins six games in 2013.

Six wins may even be a stretch for the Tigers. Most of the games will either be blowouts in their opponents' favors or close games that could go either way. The team is bound to top its win total from a year ago, but not by a ton. Neither Marshall nor Johnson will be able to get the Tigers to a bowl game this season.

This shows that in the pre-season no one knows squat! Its a new season each year. VOLS CAN WIN THE EAST!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Our O-line will be fine. Our QB play will be much improved with the WR upgrades...shhhhh....the orange thunder roar is building!

We will not be in a shooting match with other teams unfortunately. I dont care how good our wide outs are, if the QB cant throw the ball downfield more than 5 yards with accuracy and not throw to the guy that is double covered instead of the wide open man, then we wont be outscoring many.

Also, our defense is going to be pretty bad by all accounts. We will most likely be playing from behind against most good opponents and therefore relying too much on the passing game to catch up. Puts more pressure on the line and the QBs.

Yeah. We've had experts raving over Worley's accuracy this summer... but what do they know? You say he can't throw the ball accurately more than 5 yds so it must be that way... :whistling:

Will you ever stop with your non-sense?

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee can only improve at this point after sub .500 records for four straight years.

This is my humble opinion..

My kids doctor (a gator allumn) were talking today.. And we both agreed that Tennessee is going to shock some people this year in the east..

Florida is still down and muschamp get fired after this season plus this is driskels 3rd diff o. Coord..
Missouri is a coin toss, cause they lost some, and kinda had an out of no where season last year...
South Carolina is still good, but we still beat them last year, and this year they have a new qb so we still have a good chance to beat them...
Georgia is breaking in a new qb and they always under perform.. They are the favorite in my opinion, but I could still make an argument why they wouldn't..
Kentucky is.. Well.. Kentucky..
Vanderbilt has a new coach, scheme and are still our little brother..
That leaves us.. We are by far the best option for dark horse, but but I don't think we should be.. Yes we are replacing both lines, but its not like there is no experience taking over.. They have it.. Just not a lot.. We have the most experienced qb in the east, and the best wr corps in the conference.. Besides the lines positions every position is upgraded from last year and should make us 10xs better.. Not to mention we beat SC, should of beat UGA, could have beat UF (we didn't know what to do with that Murphy kid).. And WE WILL BE BETTER this year.. So I think we compete in the east.. Possibly win or come in second.. And I think we earn back the respect of some people who need to give it..

That's just my opinion tho lol

Our destiny lies on QB play...if Worley and his new upgraded weapons to compliment North and Howard have the impact that we all believe they will...we may just see blue collar Crompton-esque type season and put some points up on the board. We can make bad match up problems across the board for teams position wise...just gotta get them the ball. Worley mentally should be 100x more confident in his receiver corp to make difficult throws and these WR/TE to make plays on the ball. I don't believe he'll be overthrowing or under throwing receivers like last season.

The lines could be rough but it doesn't matter if our QB isn't significaly improved. If JW plays a lot better i think we will have more concerns with the defense.

Everyone counting us out because of our Lines are going to have a rude awakening coming.. both lines are going to be good, maybe not great but most definitely good.

VN Store

Back