2014 SEC Top 100 Countdown - #38 Marquez North

WilliamDuVOL

2014 SEC Top 100 Countdown: No. 38 Marquez North, Tennessee | Saturday Down South

38. Marquez North, Soph., WR, Tennessee

Waiting to emerge as one of nation’s best wideouts is this athletic sophomore, a three-sport athlete out of North Carolina who was an instant impact player for coach Butch Jones and the Vols last season. One of the SEC’s strongest pass-catchers with a sizable frame, North hauls in everything thrown his way and is especially lethal at coming down with 50-50 balls in tight coverage.

He’s not as loud and boisterous as most high-profile cohorts, but North plays with a similar chip on his shoulder and a physical presence Tennessee has been lacking on offense during recent years of struggle. Tennessee’s counting on its projected No. 1 to deliver with rising junior Pig Howard’s future uncertain. The pair produced 82 catches in 2013 — 39 more than the next three closest receivers combined.

It’s difficult to label North as one of the league’s most underrated after he was named to the freshman All-American squad, but his name’s not often mentioned in the same breath as other top SEC wideouts Sammie Coates, Laquon Treadwell and Amari Cooper. It should be and his production as a sophomore no matter who wins the quarterback job for the Vols will prove it.

Let the recognition keep rolling in.

Reactions: 7 people
If he plays like he did last year and goes off this year. I can't see him staying past his junior year, too much potential. IMHO

If he plays like he did last year and goes off this year. I can't see him staying past his junior year, too much potential. IMHO

What a terrible problem to have :)

If other young, elite WRs see we can put talent in the NFL (Josh Malone and Preston Williams for starters) we should have no problem filling his shoes, and those of the players who follow him.

Just think what the WR core his junior year could look like lol ..

North - Malone - Croom - Pearson - Williams .

Gonna be tough getting touches ha. But yeah North got potential to be first rounder fo sure.

Just think what the WR core his junior year could look like lol ..

North - Malone - Croom - Pearson - Williams .

Gonna be tough getting touches ha. But yeah North got potential to be first rounder fo sure.

Hell, I could throw for 4 thousand yards with that crew. This why I think we are going to be OK with Worley. Don't try to do too much, just get it to these guys.

I love these articles who act like 1. Pig Howard's future is uncertain 2. Our receivers are going to be anything but filthy and 3. Our Qbs aren't going to have great production this fall.

Our O is gonna shock the media world.

Reactions: 1 person
I love these articles who act like 1. Pig Howard's future is uncertain 2. Our receivers are going to be anything but filthy and 3. Our Qbs aren't going to have great production this fall.

Our O is gonna shock the media world.

We all would really love to see that, as it means our season looks more like 7-5 with a decent bowl win instead of the fifth seven-loss season in a row!:loco:

Honestly it wouldn't shock me if North ended up breaking the 1,000 yard mark. Now I know most will say "but our QB sucks" which I think is an overreaction to what happened last year. I think Worley will be serviceable.

Da'Rick had a huge sophomore season without much help at the WR spot and with Bray getting hurt. North seems like a bigger verison of Da'Rick and he has 3 guys who should take pressure off of him in Pig, Pearson, and Malone.

I'm expecting a big year from our offense.

Good article... It's really the 1st one I've seen that mentions North in the same breath as Treadwell, Cooper and Coates... Last year was his 1st year as a Wr, anyone with half a brain can see the talent, but being a Fr, new system for the qb's,etc., his numbers weren't going to match the other guys, but he's definitely as talented as they are with a bigger upside in the NFL IMO

It's a nice problem to have (losing players to the NFL ) hope it's a trend again.

If I'm Croom and watching everybody talk about North North North North ... I go nova when I get on the field this year ... North is all that no doubt and I expect big things out of him ... but Croom is not that far removed from being a North .. I see Croom getting no respect until he turns a in a couple of monster games .. then DCs are gonna have to decide which guy gets doubled ... Croom or North? Make it happen young Mr. Croom!

Long time? Last "best" receiver that's not CP was Robert Meachem. Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't he the last all-American WR for the UT?

Yep. I firmly believe if CP had played 3 years here he would have ended up a Top 5 all time WR for UT.

VN Store

Back