Will Butch Jones be a better coach this year?

orange parmejohn

Will a year of battle, help CBJ better prepare for games, make better adjustments, and generally be a better football coach or as with Dooley, do you get what you get and live with it? Many say that at this level, there is no learning curve. You are what you are, so to speak. Obviously talent and staff dictate how a coach handles business, but in the SEC, does Jones deserve the benefit of a learning curve?

This thread is so silly. Knowing everything we know about last year i.e new QBs, new WRs, new offensive/defensivd schemes, one of the toughests schedules and having to overcome the Dooley effect, I would say he deserves the "benefit of the learning curve", especially after beating USCe and almost beating UGA. This year we have a much more talented offense/defense.

Reactions: 19 people
I hope so If he does..... Watch out baby. Pairing good/ great coaching with his recruting will mean off the chart success for our team

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think it's silly. valad question IMO
Butch has had one year with an awful roster and a tough schedule, of course he deserves the benefit of a learning curve - that's why I think it's silly. I'm not sure there are many coaches who would have done better knowing the condition of the program. Jmo.

Reactions: 10 people
Let's hope so. It's honestly difficult to grade him based off last year because of the awful roster he was handed. That being said, I'm on record saying I wasn't very impressed outside of the Georgia and SCar games last year. We were just so completely overwhelmed and uncompetitive in the 4 blowout losses that it was hard to see where his ability to prepare and scheme did anything to give confidence that he could keep us in games that we really shouldn't be in. And then..... there was the Vandy game. Not good.

Let's hope that the mixture of him learning from some mistakes and a much more talented roster shows him to be a good enough coach to get us to a championship.

Reactions: 5 people
I think so. In year two he can open up the play book some more and has better team speed across the board.

He has also brought in alot of talent in the last class which will contribute alot in their first year imo.

QB play should be alot better as well as long as the o-line can hold up, which I think could be as good if not better than last year.

Not a silly question for a discussion on VN. It's not so much a learning curve as it is having time to obtain and develop the talent. The learning curve should be considered as players will have the benefit of having the same coaching staff and system for more than one year.

Butch has had one year with an awful roster and a tough schedule, of course he deserves the benefit of a learning curve - that's why I think it's silly. I'm not sure there are many coaches who would have done better knowing the condition of the program. Jmo.

Saban, spurrier, franklin, miles, and a few others would have figured out wins against Vandy and UF.

Reactions: 7 people
This thread is so silly. Knowing everything we know about last year i.e new QBs, new WRs, new offensive/defensivd schemes, one of the toughests schedules and having to overcome the Dooley effect, I would say he deserves the "benefit of the learning curve", especially after beating USCe and almost beating UGA. This year we have a much more talented offense/defense.

I don't think it's silly. I agree that he deserves some leeway and benefit of the doubt because of the very bad roster he inherited. I also think that if we're gonna have a fair debate about his coaching last year we have to balance the good games (Georgia & SCar) with the downright awful games (Oregon, Bama, Mizzou, Auburn, Vandy). Jury's still out, but we saw a lot more bad than good last year.

Saban, spurrier, franklin, miles, and a few others would have figured out wins against Vandy and UF.

Says who? You? I really doubt that they would've won those games with the roster we had. Look at the Vandy game. We were down to one injured freshman QB and two decent receivers.

Just because you tell yourself we should've blew Vandy out of the water does not make it so.

Reactions: 7 people
I expect to see a big improvement from our offense.

IMO our defense, more importantly the defvesive staff, have alot to prove this year.

Talented, but not experienced

You guys expecting miracles this year are in for a disappointment

Also, we saw the same results last year as the year before and with the same players. Some would argue that a better coach would have been able to do better. After all, that's all we heard from VN was that all we needed was a better coach. A better coach would have taken that team to a bowl game.

Regardless, VN always gets excited about the season and disregards anything that doesn't fit the sunny disposition. This year is going to be rough and I guarantee, the firing squad will be ready by the end of this season. VN doesn't have enough patience to endure the struggles we saw with Majors.

Reactions: 3 people
Will a year of battle, help CBJ better prepare for games, make better adjustments, and generally be a better football coach or as with Dooley, do you get what you get and live with it? Many say that at this level, there is no learning curve. You are what you are, so to speak. Obviously talent and staff dictate how a coach handles business, but in the SEC, does Jones deserve the benefit of a learning curve?

Undeniably.

I don't think it's silly. I agree that he deserves some leeway and benefit of the doubt because of the very bad roster he inherited. I also think that if we're gonna have a fair debate about his coaching last year we have to balance the good games (Georgia & SCar) with the downright awful games (Oregon, Bama, Mizzou, Auburn, Vandy). Jury's still out, but we saw a lot more bad than good last year.

When we have team speed and better QB play we will be a much better team. Out of the five losses you have mentioned, those were the two huge factors in the game.

Give us team speed and SEC talent on the Defensive line and most of us would look like geniuses, or at least competent, as coaches. Not everyone is Gus Malzhan as a play caller, and I suspect that having Nick Marshall and Tre Mason increased his IQ by a few points as well.

The bottom line is that I'm not sure last year's team was capable of brilliance, regardless of the coach.

I expect to see a big improvement from our offense.

IMO our defense, more importantly the defvesive staff, have alot to prove this year.

Agreed.

The coaches obviously knew the secondary speed was well below average for the SEC, so you think our coaches would have worked on the angles our guys were using.

Your points are valid but I wasn't putting the results on trial. I'm just curious if Butch will learn and evolve as a coach or should "learning" how to coach be a finished process at this point. Sorry if I miscommunicated that.

CBJ will be a better coach when he goes to bed tonight than he was when he got up this morning. He is a relentless and driven individual. We are in good hands boys and girls.:salute:

Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back