What Non-Freshmen Players Do You Expect to Make the Biggest Leap on Defense?

Dr Dread

There is alot of excitement around all the incoming talent on defense this year; but what I find more exciting (and more important for our success this season), is which returning players will make the biggest improvement in their 2nd year under this staff.
Travarris Saulsberry, Corey Vereen, and LaDarrell McNeil are three that I expect to show vast improvement as they play with a better understanding of the system.

The most improved player is hard to guess. Normally it's a guy who gets a lot more playing time. I expect Vereen to burst onto the scene, but as far as improvement I am going to go with Justin Coleman. New position that much better fits him. I think Coleman has a senior year to be proud of, and finally gets out of the blogger doghouse.

Player that will make the biggest impact though will certainly be Curt Maggit. I honestly think he will be our best defensive player and you will be able to see very clearly what a difference he makes when he's healthy.

Reactions: 4 people
Cam Sutton!

He was solid last year;however, I fully expect him to be more electric this year with faster players around him. He's quickly becoming my favorite player of this current roster.

Reactions: 3 people
I want to say Dan O'Brian. Dude was a Top 100, borderline 5 star recruit. He's arguably our most important player this year. Really need him to blow it up this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Cam Sutton for sure, I completely expect teams to try and avoid throwing to his side of the field. And of course Curt Maggit being back will be big.

There is alot of excitement around all the incoming talent on defense this year; but what I find more exciting (and more important for our success this season), is which returning players will make the biggest improvement in their 2nd year under this staff.
Travarris Saulsberry, Corey Vereen, and LaDarrell McNeil are three that I expect to show vast improvement as they play with a better understanding of the system.

We've been hearing about Jordan Williams potential for a couple years now. This has to be his season.

Reactions: 1 person
Randolph goes full beast mode in Norman, OK. Sets the tone for the defense for the rest of the season.

Reactions: 1 person
My hypothetical:

Brian Randolph moves to SS. He shows good run support and TKJr takes over at FS and shows much better sideline-sideline movement. Randolph is a captain of the DBs and helps Sutton/Moseley/Coleman at CB/NB and TKJr at FS with their pre-snap reads and positioning.

If not Randolph then hopefully Danny O'Brien. He played well off the bench but now that he knows the spot is his, he'll show up and beast out at DT.

Y'all saying Maggitt are cheating. Dude was our best player in 2012 and he'll probably still be our best player in 2014.

Really hope Saulsberry will make big strides this year!

He also makes a darn good steak! :blink:

chilmonty-albums-my+pics-picture5086-index.jpeg

Reactions: 2 people
My hypothetical:

Brian Randolph moves to SS. He shows good run support and TKJr takes over at FS and shows much better sideline-sideline movement.
Though I do expect to see TKJr on the field, I don't see TKJr moving L. McNeil out of the starting lineup. They had similar ratings comming out of high school, and the extra year under this staff should allow McNeil to begin to reach his potential.

Though I do expect to see TKJr on the field, I don't see TKJr moving L. McNeil out of the starting lineup. They had similar ratings comming out of high school, and the extra year under this staff should allow McNeil to begin to reach his potential.

If McNeil can step in and play well, I'm all for it so we can RS TKJr if possible. However, McNeil looked completely lost and Randolph wasn't fast enough for FS sideline-sideline.

Also, TKJr had a stronger offer list than McNeil. McNeil wasn't really offered outside of the Big-12. TKJr was offered by just about everyone.

VN Store

Back