How good can our DL

jimallvol

VolHawk
Be with the addition of McKenzie. And maybe the possibility of adding Sweat and Phillips. From what I have been reading on the subject TN has a real good shot at them. If we can add all three of these guys what a DL in a couple of yrs. What does everyone else think about our chances of signing possibly one of the best defensive classes ever?

Reactions: 2 people
Be with the addition of McKenzie. And maybe the possibility of adding Sweat and Phillips. From what I have been reading on the subject TN has a real good shot at them. If we can add all three of these guys what a DL in a couple of yrs. What does everyone else think about our chances of signing possibly one of the best defensive classes ever?
I see Sweat as a big longshot but you know Butch & co will give it 100. Tuttle and DJ Jones, very realistic on the other hand. Going to be a stout DL class lead by the most talented UT DT since Mahelona.

Reactions: 4 people
I really like that we are constantly bringing in better recruits than the year before. It pushes the older guys especially in the trenches. And the fact that 2 of our DL recruits last year might end up on the OL makes me very excited

Reactions: 1 person
Mckenzie alone makes it that much better. He will be the best defensive player we have had since Eric berry. The DL is probably 2 years from being a force, but i think it will be much improved this season believe it or not. Talent level has already jumped up.

Reactions: 3 people
2014 is gonna be a learning curve year. I think with the exception of Corey Vereen and Jordan Williams, we really don't have a clue what we're getting. But, I'm thinking it's going to be fun to watch these freshman come in and get a ton of experience.

One thing I'll say about this past year's OL, was that it was really a lot of fun to watch them go from the all freshman line of Dooley's first year, to being one of the most experienced cohesive lines in the country.

I'm hoping that for the most part, this DL does the same. I'm hoping to be able to watch players like Hendrix, Henderson, Jakob Johnson, Mike Sawyers, Mixon, and the others grow up together, and be wreaking havoc on the SEC in about 3-4 years, along with players like KMac, Butcher, Tuttle, maybe Sweat, and who knows who else?

I just hope that fans remember the past few years. Because it's going to make the next few even sweeter.

Reactions: 7 people

the opportunity to play early at Tennessee should be a draw for top prospects. :yes:

iF one has the size and talent one can be as good as one wants to be at any position. Peyton Manning is a prime example, no one works harder than he. :no:

Hey man I am 52, might not make it till 16, what about this year, I know in 16 we will be kick azz but my old azz might have green grass growing over me by then.:) I wish we could jump to 16 if I knew my old azz would still be kicking.

2014 is gonna be a learning curve year. I think with the exception of Corey Vereen and Jordan Williams, we really don't have a clue what we're getting. But, I'm thinking it's going to be fun to watch these freshman come in and get a ton of experience.

One thing I'll say about this past year's OL, was that it was really a lot of fun to watch them go from the all freshman line of Dooley's first year, to being one of the most experienced cohesive lines in the country.

I'm hoping that for the most part, this DL does the same. I'm hoping to be able to watch players like Hendrix, Henderson, Jakob Johnson, Mike Sawyers, Mixon, and the others grow up together, and be wreaking havoc on the SEC in about 3-4 years, along with players like KMac, Butcher, Tuttle, maybe Sweat, and who knows who else?

I just hope that fans remember the past few years. Because it's going to make the next few even sweeter.

If healthy Saulsberry is pretty decent

Those guys were ok but hardly became as good as many of us thought they would/could be. I laugh when all these pundits say that we are having to replace one of the best OLines in the country this year because I didn't think those guys were anywhere close to that high of praise. They were above average pass blockers but average run blockers. Some of that was probably due to the change in system last year.

However, don't forget that they were blown off the ball on a 3rd and 1 against Vandy that would have practically iced the game. That is unacceptable for 4 seniors and a junior who knew he was leaving against our in-state rival on senior night. Nothing personal because those guys were talented but lacked nastiness and heart. I'm hoping the OL this year can equal or better last years because of an extra year in the system and more grit, toughness, nastiness, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Those guys were ok but hardly became as good as many of us thought they would/could be. I laugh when all these pundits say that we are having to replace one of the best OLines in the country this year because I didn't think those guys were anywhere close to that high of praise. They were above average pass blockers but average run blockers. Some of that was probably due to the change in system last year.
However, don't forget that they were blown off the ball on a 3rd and 1 against Vandy that would have practically iced the game. That is unacceptable for 4 seniors and a junior who knew he was leaving against our in-state rival on senior night. Nothing personal because those guys were talented but lacked nastiness and heart. I'm hoping the OL this year can equal or better last years because of an extra year in the system and more grit, toughness, nastiness, etc.

I still think we convert that for a first down if we'd used the beast package. I get the team needs AJ healthy, but that formation is a weapon they should be utilizing for situations like that (especially so late in the season with a bowl game on the line).

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back