The new 'Voice of Neyland Stadium'

I think they should still have a recording of Denton's "It's Football Time in Tennessee!" play each game even though he's gone, kind of like how Bob Sheppard still announces Derek Jeter when he steps up to the plate. I grew up hearing Denton, and it just won't be right without that voice. I think that could be a cool tradition/homage to the guy.

Reactions: 13 people
I like this choice. People will say there's a difference in calling football and basketball but he is exciting. My favorite memories as a student at UT was beating Kansas and UK and he made the experience better. I think he will do a fine job.

I think they should still have a recording of Denton's "It's Football Time in Tennessee!" play each game even though he's gone, kind of like how Bob Sheppard still announces Derek Jeter when he steps up to the plate. I grew up hearing Denton, and it just won't be right without that voice. I think that could be a cool tradition/homage to the guy.

I'm not certain they won't do exactly this. At least for the opening kickoff.

I like this pick. I can't think of any time I've had a problem with Jeff Jarnagin being the TBA announcer. I'm sure he'll do a fine job. No ONE could replace Denton.

Reactions: 1 person
Nothing wrong with new traditions.

I think Jarnigan will fit in nicely in Butch Jones new tradition of Vol dominance.

This was a no brainer. He does a great job doing the basketball games, somebody had to fill the void, go with some familiarity.

Good luck JJ!

Reactions: 2 people
We were all lucky to experience Mr Denton and his iconic announcing. Glad they chose someone that has a good understanding of UT and the game day experience.

im sure after we loose a tough one yall will hate him just like yall hate kesling

Bob is bumbling and boring. His calls are not descriptive of the action and do not capture the intensity of the game or the importance of big plays. It has nothing to do with who he followed. My 14 year old son never heard Ward call a game and can't stand to listen to Bob. He is just bad on his own merits...Jarnigan is a proven commodity in doing the job for which he has been hired unlike Kesling was in ''99.

im sure after we loose a tough one yall will hate him just like yall hate kesling

Hate the PA announcer? Not likely. And I don't hate Kesling by any stretch of the imagination. I just don't listen to him unless I have to because he's not nearly as good as Ward was.

I'm sure Jarnigan will do well as the new PA Announcer which is quite different than being the radio play by play guy.

I've never heard the first throw back to John Ward/Bill Anderson since they left. Haven't listened to every game.

I think it would be cool to have JW orBA do a sit in for a few plays once a season, just as a throwback. I know UT did not want to steal BKs thunder, but we're way past settling in (being stuck? LOL) with the new guys.

Maybe even have Ward be the mixmaster pre game. LOL!

Last edited:
I thought Kesling was bad until I had to listen to Ole Miss's radio guys announce our game vs them in '09. It was painful. Kesling may not be good, but it could be soooo much worse.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back