Comparing SEC schools' facilities-a teenager's perspective.

TheCubster

My son is entering the 10th grade and plays football (long snapper) at his high school. Last summer he went to the OL/DL and Special Teams camps at Tennessee. This year he has gone to more camps including Special Teams camps at UT, Alabama and South Carolina. I thought it was interesting to compare what he thought of the experience at each and figured it gives some insight to what most recruits experience.
Overall Camp:
UT-CBJ spoke briefly to the players but not the parents (I was a little surprised by this). The camp was taught by current and former UT long snappers. Was organized and had good instruction.
Bama-Nick Satan came and spoke to players and parents (my wife said she gained a new respect for him, but she would still disown my son if he went to school there). They brought in Chris Rubio of Chris Sailer Kicking-the #1 long snapping instructor in the country. Instruction was excellent and the camp was well organized.
USCe-The camp was for mostly for kickers and the snappers were there just to snap to them. Very unorganized and ran by the current snapper who seemed to just make it up as he went. Steve Superior didn't even make an appearance.
Facilities:
UT-Full size indoor field, painted just like Neyland with the checker boards and Power T at the 50, turf was like real grass, huge weight room (he liked that the weights had Tennessee logos on them), team auditorium had awesome chairs, big murals everywhere, position meeting rooms were very plain, locker room was great. The whole place was laid out really well and he was very impressed with it.
Bama-Big indoor field, but field wasn't painted like the stadium/kinda plain, turf was the old style with the dumb rubber pellets, weight room was really nice but weights were just the plain ones, team auditorium was like UT's-maybe better, position meeting rooms were amazing with big fancy chairs and big murals, player lounge was nice, training room looked amazing, locker room was about as nice as UT's, the famous water falls weren't even turned on, and the whole thing seemed like they've been just adding a little at a time and didn't flow that great-had to walk outside to get to certain parts and felt pieced together.
USCe-The locker rooms the team uses for practice are the ones in the stadium and kind of old, no real practice facility-just outdoor fields they walk down and across the street to, meeting rooms were under the stadium, team auditorium was like an elementary school auditorium, weight room was kind of old but they did have the weights with the school logos on them, overall didn't come close to comparing to UT and Bama.
Judging by everything he has told me, Tennessee's facilities seem to be as good or better than Alabama's, and USCe doesn't offer very much. I'm pretty sure they are working on a new practice facility but for now they fall far short. With all the hype over Bama's facilities, I was expecting him to be blown away by them but he wasn't.

Reactions: 16 people
I know S. Carolina has plans to build a new indoor facility. It's almost a reality in this day of college football.

Great perspective, though, from your son's point of view.

...or the SC trophy room, which has to be...empty.

It's just a plaque that hangs on the wall outside the training room

il_570xN.492299564_7xdo.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Most of the highly rated kids care about winning over having good facilites.

What did he have to say about the Alabama trophy room? That has to be as big as the Super Dome...

He said it was very impressive. Their facility looked amazing from the right angles but as a whole just didn't come together like Tennessee's.
There's a reason colleges spend so much money on window dressing and stuff like hiring a DJ for a camp-these are still 15-18 year olds. Unless their names are Carlton Banks or Alex P. Keating, they aren't thinking too far in to the future.

VN Store

Back