Advice on Knoxville

Madmartigan

Greetings Vols fans. I am planning on traveling to Knoxville to see what is rumored to be one of the finest CFB environments you can find in the nation. I had a couple of questions about the game/logistics and Knoxville in general for the Utah State game.

1. What are restaurants a man can't miss eating at if in Knoxville
2. Any Hotel recommendations? Obviously I'd like to be close to the stadium, but those are all 150 + a night
3. Parking- planning on arriving early afernoon- 2 PM or so with my trusty rental car, where should I park?

I imagine everything will be quite packed, what with 100 k + fans trying to get into the game tailgating. Any general pointers would be appreciated.

I will keep this simple

Eat at Ye Olde Steakhouse ....if you like steak. Don't go on game day, probably impossible to get in there on game day.

I would probably book the Hilton next to Market Square since it has a shuttle to the game and is also within walking distance. It sits right next to Market Square which is just a neat little place for you to walk around and check out on the day of or day before the game. Also an Art Museum and the Tennessee Theater nearby as well as the old fairgrounds for the World's Fair, which are nice to walk through.

Last edited:
Stay as close to downtown as possible.

Go eat at ye olde or Calhoun's on the river's deck simply for the atmosphere.

On game day, get your drinks of choice, wear orange and walk over to the fort Sanders area.

Walk up to a fun looking tailgate and introduce yourself.

Tell them you hate Alabama, and make some new friends.

Get into the stadium 15 minutes before kickoff and enjoy the best pre game tradition in all of football.

Go vols.

Reactions: 6 people
Foothills Milling Company in Maryville is probably the best dining in the area if you aren't afraid to drive. There is a great thread in the Pub on other restaurants. Nama on Gay Street, Shuck, Stock and Barrel, Ruth's Chris... Lots of options downtown.

The Hooters in Alcoa has an unbelievable scenery and the customer service is awesome !

Not too long ago I went to meet someone at what I thought was Fridays at Papermill, only to discover it's now an establishment called Twin Peaks. It didn't take long to understand the significance of the name.

Reactions: 18 people
Those are all some great places to eat in K-ville. My suggestion to you is to walk around all the tailgates, walk up and down the river where the Vol Navy boats are docked. Tennessee fans are usually pretty awesome to opposition fans who aren't jerks. Be friendly, introduce yourself, socialize... I bet you end up with all the free food and beer your heart will desire.

Reactions: 3 people
You can get a good steak anywhere, I say live a little. Go to Green Acres Flea Market on Alcoa Hwy, find one of the Mexican eateries where little (if any) English is spoken, point to something on the menu and chow down. You will even drive past it on the way to the stadium!

Failing this, do as suggested above and sample tailgater fare. Top it off with desert at Litton's in North Knox. Get the Red Velvet Cake.

Litton's Market and Restaurant - Knoxville, TN - Award Winning Bakery

Reactions: 2 people
I think Calhoun's on the river is really nice you can look up reviews of it online but it can be a tad pricy. Since it's a night game I think you should eat at Calhoun's (about .5 mile at most from Neyland Stadium) for a late lunch then walk along the river and see the Vol navy.(It's cool to see, only wash st. has anything else like it) Then you could walk around the stadium and look for cool tailgates to stop and talk at. Then get into the stadium early ( I assume if your coming all the way to TN you'll want to watch your team warm up.)

The most important tip

Vol fan are mostly good people. But like most fan bases we have homers. They may be alittle rude but just ignore em'. Most Tennessee fans are expecting a big win. So if you guys pull out an upset STAY AWAY FROM THE STRIP it's a road right off I75 I live in chattanooga so I'm not sure of the name, but you'll know it when you see it. It gets crowded quick after games and alot of fans will be there win or lose. I hope you have a nice trip.

Maby drive up to gatlinburg, TN and go through the smokey mountains in the fall if you have enough time in TN.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Calhoun's on the river is really nice you can look up reviews of it online but it can be a tad pricy. Since it's a night game I think you should eat at Calhoun's (about .5 mile at most from Neyland Stadium) for a late lunch then walk along the river and see the Vol navy.(It's cool to see, only wash st. has anything else like it) Then you could walk around the stadium and look for cool tailgates to stop and talk at. Then get into the stadium early ( I assume if your coming all the way to TN you'll want to watch your team warm up.)

The most important tip

Vol fan are mostly good people. But like most fan bases we have homers. They may be alittle rude but just ignore em'. Most Tennessee fans are expecting a big win. So if you guys pull out an upset STAY AWAY FROM THE STRIP it's a road right off I75 I live in chattanooga so I'm not sure of the name, but you'll know it when you see it. It gets crowded quick after games and alot of fans will be there win or lose. I hope you have a nice trip.

Maby drive up to gatlinburg, TN and go through the smokey mountains in the fall if you have enough time in TN.

It's Cumberland Ave. and he's not for Florida or Alabama so he'll be just fine wherever he goes.
:good!:

Stay as close to downtown as possible.

Go eat at ye olde or Calhoun's on the river's deck simply for the atmosphere.

On game day, get your drinks of choice, wear orange and walk over to the fort Sanders area.

Walk up to a fun looking tailgate and introduce yourself.

Tell them you hate Alabama, and make some new friends.

Get into the stadium 15 minutes before kickoff and enjoy the best pre game tradition in all of football.

Go vols.

I can't wait to experience this.

I would also watch the Vol Walk with the players and the band march down the hill near the stadium before the game. More fans and energy than you'll see anywhere in the country for a walk to the stadium.

I would also at least walk by Calhouns on the River even if you can't get in to eat. The Vol Navy (a tailgate with tons of boats) is really close to there.

Last edited:
You really should arrive a day earlier and take in BOOMS DAY, its one of the largest fireworks shown in the USA. Having it on the river just gives it a special environment for the show, probably 100 boats in the river along with a festival on the river that morning.

Reactions: 2 people
If you dont want to spend that $$$$
Most hotels outside of downtown will provide a shuttle its just a nightmare leaving the stadium in those.

Not too long ago I went to meet someone at what I thought was Fridays at Papermill, only to discover it's now an establishment called Twin Peaks. It didn't take long to understand the significance of the name.

Coffee spewed on IPhone. Thanks Freak!

Calhoun's has great atmosphere but IDK the food on gamedays just isn't that great to me personally. It's definitely worth a visit just because of the atmosphere on gameday though.

Reactions: 4 people
You can get a good steak anywhere, I say live a little. Go to Green Acres Flea Market on Alcoa Hwy, find one of the Mexican eateries where little (if any) English is spoken, point to something on the menu and chow down. You will even drive past it on the way to the stadium!

Failing this, do as suggested above and sample tailgater fare. Top it off with desert at Litton's in North Knox. Get the Red Velvet Cake.

Litton's Market and Restaurant - Knoxville, TN - Award Winning Bakery
The Mexican restaurant in front of green acres is authentic (menu in Spanish) and I've heard rave reviews.

VN Store

Back