OFFICIAL Tennessee SEC Media Days thread

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Bsmaa7oCMAAnUkC.jpg

JONES: We are making move in the right direction. Nearly 50 pct of our team will be new this year. It will be a lot about the learning curve

Jones: We are the only team in America that has to replace its entire Offensive Line and Defensive Line.

Jones: @ClamCrowder57 has earned the right to be here at #SECMD14 He has been consistent and a leader.

Jones: I am excited about all 3 QBs. They have all made progress. We have increased team speed which will help all 3.

Jones: Last year, we had 0 players that could squat 600 lbs, now we have 9

Jones: Everything is about getting back to a bowl game. But it starts with the Power of 1.

Jones: I like coaching a team of unknowns. They are eager and hungry. They want to learn more. I like coaching a team like this

Jones: @aj_thebeast_45 always has the drive and work ethic. Now he is holding others accountable. You can see his growth & leadership.

Jones: I walked in weight room the other day and Albert Haynesworth is holding court with the D-Line.

Jones: The great football teams run on their own gas. We spend an inordinate time on personal growth and building great men.

Jones: Our legacy players are critical. They understand Vol Nation and that they are representing the great people of the state of Tennessee

Jones: Utah State will be a great challenge. They are used to winning. They have our attention and respect.

Jones: Anything is possible. What Auburn did was that it gives you an example of that. You just have to keep grinding

Jones: Nothing has changed with Pig Howard's situation. He has done everything we have asked.

Butch on ESPNU (summary) from here: http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...see-sec-media-days-thread-2.html#post10336888

In year two you know a little bit more of what to expect. The conference is better than people realize. You have to go on the road in hostile environments and win games.

It's an unforgiving league. It's extremely competitive. The overall daily grind of an SEC season...

Positives from last year: The standard, the expectation, the foundation is in place. We have a little less than half of a new roster. That's exciting but challenging.

We are the only FBS school not to have an returning lineman on either side of the ball. It's going to be a challenge. The players we have are excited about it. It's also a great recruiting tool.

QB battle: We have a great competition. Worley and Dobbs, and Peterman. All three have live game experience. All three have elevated their play. The support around them this year will increase their play. Quarterback will be a strength of this year's team.

Won't put a time on the qb battle. Let it happen. When someone takes the job, we'll announce it. All three are very very capable of starting and winning in this league.

Our young players are going to get the know the qb at Utah State very quickly. They have our attention. Our first three opponents are bowl champions. It's an unforgiving schedule which will be a great challenge but provides many opportunities as well.

Expectations: Our fan base is exceptional. Best fans in the country. We have to be a better football team day in and day one. Focus on the power of one: one day at time, one snap at a time, etc. If we focus on getting better one day at at time, we're going to like where this football team ends up.

Tennessee is a national brand. What a great opportunity for student athletes to come in and make an impact. We want players who want the challenge of putting Tennessee football backin it's rightful place in college football. Everything in life is timing: Tennessee is the right place at the right time and it's only a matter of time.

Reactions: 36 people
Phil Murphy @Phil_Sports
Steve Spurrier says his toughest loss was at Florida in 2001 to Tennessee, says that #Gators team was as good as the 1996 one. #SECMD14

Reactions: 17 people
Most telling quote so far (IMHO):
"Last year, we had 0 players that could squat 600 lbs, now we have 9"

Mind you this includes Big Dan, Tiny, and Jauan......

Reactions: 5 people
I don't like the "get back to a bowl game". I take that as "let's shoot for 6-6". We need to shoot for as many wins as possible. 6-6 is never ok even when we are down, but I would be happy with a bowl.

I don't like the "get back to a bowl game". I take that as "let's shoot for 6-6". We need to shoot for as many wins as possible. 6-6 is never ok even when we are down, but I would be happy with a bowl.

Goal Setting 101
You don't set a goal to run a 6-minute mile if you have never run before.

Reactions: 1 person
MAGGITT (summarized)

We have a stable foundation. Jones is doing a great job bringing in guys (recruiting).

It's important for Maggit to be a leader and teach the younger guys, but have to take it one day at a time.

Butch Jones is passionate. He lives it and he loves it. That's something that pushes me every day. We haven't seen passion like that around.

Can see this program being top five. Jones won't sleep until he reaches it. Maggitt is excited.

Maggitt is really focusing on being a leader on the field and for the young guys.

Guys who made an impression in the spring: Malone, Hurd... a lot of guys. Blair.

Reactions: 5 people
It was clear that Maggitt thinks he can help this team on the field, but is also taking it upon himself to work with the younger guys and let them know what it takes to be successful on this level.

It was a good appearance. I think he said all the right things and really focused on the "team" even though it would have been easier to talk more about himself.

Reactions: 6 people
It was clear that Maggitt thinks he can help this team on the field, but is also taking it upon himself to work with the younger guys and let them know what it takes to be successful on this level.

It was a good appearance. I think he said all the right things and really focused on the "team" even though it would have been easier to talk more about himself.

Love hearing that news about Blair

VN Store

Back