This keeps being repeated about Tennessee at SEC Media Days

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
To paraphrase "When you're rebuilding you want to have all your talent in the lines, not in the skill positions. This season Tennessee is going to have just the opposite, talent in the skill positions but no experience on the lines. That could make for a rough season."

I simply don't agree with this notion. Personally I think a strong O-line only compliments the skill positions. You have to have it in the skill positions. Giving the QB 5 minutes to make a decision is great, but your QB has to be able to hit the target and your WR has to be able to catch. Creating a hole for your RB is great but your RB is still going to take contact, he has to be able to stand his ground. Likewise your D-line getting pressure is great but your DB's have to be able to cover and your linebackers have to know when to rush/drop back.

I use the 2013 season to support my argument. We had the team last year where all the talent was on the lines. We went 5-7. IMO to rebuild you have to have the playmakers first and foremost. Thoughts?

Reactions: 8 people
To paraphrase "When you're rebuilding you want to have all your talent in the lines, not in the skill positions. This season Tennessee is going to have just the opposite, talent in the skill positions but no experience on the lines. That could make for a rough season."

I simply don't agree with this notion. Personally I think a strong O-line only compliments the skill positions. You have to have it in the skill positions. Giving the QB 5 minutes to make a decision is great, but your QB has to be able to hit the target and your WR has to be able to catch. Creating a hole for your RB is great but your RB is still going to take contact, he has to be able to stand his ground. Likewise your D-line getting pressure is great but your DB's have to be able to cover and your linebackers have to know when to rush/drop back.

I use the 2013 season to support my argument. We had the team last year where all the talent was on the lines. We went 5-7. IMO to rebuild you have to have the playmakers first and foremost. Thoughts?

I have to agree, especially after last season. If you don't have good players in the skill positions, how do you score? Now that's not to say you dont have to have any talent in the trenches. But I think the talent is there for the team, just inexperience may be an issue. That's why many sports journalists and what not are saying that we are going to be a dangerous team late in the season.

Reactions: 2 people

Rebuilding both would've been nice. The reality is you only have so many spots in one recruiting class, and it takes much longer for lineman to develop than skill players who can jump in and contribute.

But I think those that say we are going to have a tough year because we have no talent on our oline are discounting Coach Mahoney's ability to mold less touted recruits into NFL-caliber lineman (see Eric Fisher). I could see this year's OL surprising to the upside.

Reactions: 6 people

Our D-line hasn't been good since Early-mid 2000s

Reactions: 5 people
Gotta have good to great fundamentals in the trenches. That starts with kids who are disciplined and willing to learn. Look at the o-line when Kiffin was here. Prime example that those who want it and give their all may not necessarily be NFL lineman, but can be very effective

Reactions: 7 people

Obviously to be REALLY good, you got to have both but I agree with what's being said. A good line on both sides of the ball can take you along way. Just about any QB can throw the ball decently without pressure. Virtually every receiver can catch the ball at this level. If there is a whole the size of texas, any running back can hit it.

The game starts at the line of scrimmage. Let's hope that we are better than most think and the coaches can make up the rest. It's just tough to scheme getting whipped at the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: 1 person
The thing is our lines are an unknown commodity right now. They are neither good nor bad. No one knows but the coaches. However you can believe that the coaches will play to their strengths.

Gotta have good to great fundamentals in the trenches. That starts with kids who are disciplined and willing to learn. Look at the o-line when Kiffin was here. Prime example that those who want it and give their all may not necessarily be NFL lineman, but can be very effective

DISCLAIMER: Except when blocking for FG tries

Eaxctly! Many people forget Kiffin's ragtag bunch of Vols in the trenches on both sides of the ball almost jammed that yellow hammer up dat bammer donkey. Writers all to often believe there is some formula i.e. "start at the line then move to the skill positions," this is the same bunch of "pros" that had no clue what Auburn and Malzahn was going to produce. Everybody taking the grid iron has two arms and two legs, its what you do with them.

Reactions: 4 people
Eaxctly! Many people forget Kiffin's ragtag bunch of Vols in the trenches on both sides of the ball almost jammed that yellow hammer up dat bammer donkey. Writers all to often believe there is some formula i.e. "start at the line then move to the skill positions," this is the same bunch of "pros" that had no clue what Auburn and Malzahn was going to produce. Everybody taking the grid iron has two arms and two legs, its what you do with them.

I agree about the "pros" in the media. They are over rated gossip mongers who try to look to be "sports experts", but their mother lode is to spout off about rumors and innuendo. We should put as much stock in their rantings as we do with ranking services like Rivals who downgrade Kahlil McKenzie to a 4 star when he is the highest rated DT prospect in the country. They all have their agendas and will slant everything to make their points. Kahlil didn't plunk down the money to attend the Rivals camp so he doesn't get their 5 stars. Rant over.

I think you are believing what you want to believe.
Replacing your lines is SOOO tough, I actually think by end of the season they will be better as a unit than last years line. Just getting there will be tough they are going to play some sophisticated defenses early on and its just hard to coach experience. You have to learn by fire at those positions.

I think you are believing what you want to believe.
Replacing your lines is SOOO tough, I actually think by end of the season they will be better as a unit than last years line. Just getting there will be tough they are going to play some sophisticated defenses early on and its just hard to coach experience. You have to learn by fire at those positions.

I'm not. Last year is my proof. Last year I really tried to buy into the "we'll win a couple of games just because we are good in the trenches" idea. Again, we went 5-7 and it was very obvious why, we just didn't have the skill position talent. Having a good O-line was cool and all, but our QB play (especially our non-Worley QB play) was bad enough that we could have had an NFL line and still lost those games. North carried the WR load by himself. Rajion was good but he was never a world-beater. A line will only take you so far, it's a bit overrated IMO.

I'm not. Last year is my proof. Last year I really tried to buy into the "we'll win a couple of games just because we are good in the trenches" idea. Again, we went 5-7 and it was very obvious why, we just didn't have the skill position talent. Having a good O-line was cool and all, but our QB play (especially our non-Worley QB play) was bad enough that we could have had an NFL line and still lost those games. North carried the WR load by himself. Rajion was good but he was never a world-beater. A line will only take you so far, it's a bit overrated IMO.

O-line was overrated

D-line was average but likely better than 2014

Reactions: 4 people

Other than OT positions (and I'm really impressed with Coleman Thomas), I think our OLine and DLine are as good or better than last year. We are simply trading experience for talent, strength and speed.

Couple that with weapons galore at the skill positions and we are in much better shape than last year.

Oh yeah, don't forget about the massive upgrade at the TE position compared to last year. That part of the Oline will be much, much more effective at blocking and receptions.

Reactions: 3 people

I have to agrre about the line thing. Teams who control the line of scrimmage are usually more successful than those who don't. You could have all the 5* players you want at skill positions but if the QB is on his back every time he drops back to pass then you're not going to win. I hate to use Bama as an example but they make average QB's look great because they never get hit and can control the game by running the ball.

I thought our line the last 2 years was disappointing, so maybe a new line will do us some good.

Look at the sack statistics in the SEC since 2008. We have been last or next to last 3 times and 7th, 8th and 9th in the other years. Last year, Missouri and Auburn were 1st and 3rd in sacks. In 2012, Alabama was tied for 3rd and Georgia was 5th. South Carolina was 1st in sacks in 2012.

Sacks equal success on defense. Give me the best big uglies you can find on both sides of the ball and I will almost guarantee a bowl game with only average skill talent.

Look at the sack statistics in the SEC since 2008. We have been last or next to last 3 times and 7th, 8th and 9th in the other years. Last year, Missouri and Auburn were 1st and 3rd in sacks. In 2012, Alabama was tied for 3rd and Georgia was 5th. South Carolina was 1st in sacks in 2012.

Sacks equal success on defense. Give me the best big uglies you can find on both sides of the ball and I will almost guarantee a bowl game with only average skill talent.

I strongly disagree. Every team you're using as an example was also STACKED in the skill positions so I could make the same argument. Lines don't get you in the endzone when it's 3rd and 15. Lines don't stop a mobile QB that can avoid the sack and still throw 40 yards accurately. Gotta have the playmakers first and foremost.

Butch wasn't going to bench upperclassmen last year while trying to rebuild a program in the dust. The last thing he needed while building a family atmosphere was to ostracize the upperclassmen and build a divide in a locker room that has been divided since Kelly Washington.
We have some OL with a little nastiness now, and I'm not concerned about replacing a DL that saw one sr de get his first sack of the year in his last game against Ky and allowed teams to run at and around him anytime they wanted.
To add, several of the new OL have been in the program now for a full year already and will be more mentally ready than our nfl linemen last year. With breakaway threats in the backfield now, at TE and at WR, I don't think there will be a big dropoff.

I know that's not popular, but it's jmo.

Reactions: 11 people
A teams success starts and ends on both sides of the ball on the line..........always has and always will.

To each his own but I just think this line of thinking is medieval. Athletes are stronger, faster, bigger than they used to be. Playmakers in high school are easier to find out there than they used to be.

The bottom line is, JMO of course, a team with great skill positions and mediocre lines is always going to be more successful than a team with great lines and mediocre skill positions.

. A line will only take you so far, it's a bit overrated IMO.

I respect your opinion.
I have been coaching the game a long time, albeit at a junior high level.
One thing is common for EVERY champion they play tough D, and have a good o lines. Only exception is we played against Golden Tate his 8th grade year and in our league he was untackable. Their line was avg but he was unreal and their D was good.

I would take a very good OL and DL and settle for avg to above avg skill positions every year.

Only position on the ol I'm even worried about is lt. Hopefully with blair in better shape he will step up. On the dl let's be honest it can't be as bad as it's been the past few years so anything is up from that prospective.

I might be going out on a limb here, but exactly how do any of these media guys KNOW that our Oline and Dline won't be great? I mean...I'm pretty sure I just heard Jesse Palmer mention Ferguson in the QB battle, which tells me they're not doing their homework on the Vols. 😎

Last edited:

VN Store

Back