Dormady will give Dobbs a run for his money, immediately ~ Brad Shepard

Gandalf

The Orange/White Wizard
I thought this response Brad Shepard made in the comments section of a very positive article for UT (yes, its bleacher but its a good article) was very interesting:

I think Dormady is a little off the radar so his commitment maybe doesn't carry as much clout with some prospects as it should, but if they see him throw, they'll change his mind. He has noted recently he's been recruiting Van Jefferson hard, and that's who he needs to be on. I completely think he'll give Dobbs a run for his money immediately.

Tells me:

1. Not a lot of confidence in Dobbs if he thinks he can pressure a Jr right away.
2. Dormandy is perhaps better than we are thinking - maybe (big maybe) we have truly found our QB solution going forward.
3. Our recruits are recruiting, which is how it needs to be - VJ would be a great pickup.

What do you think/how accurate?

Reactions: 2 people
Hope he is correct and Dormandy is a stud.

I would imagine that if he got offered on the spot by Kff/Saban without much pedigree or scouting attention that he must have shown overwhelmingly the necessary tangibles

Reactions: 3 people
I thought this response Brad Shepard made in the comments section of a very positive article for UT (yes, its bleacher but its a good article) was very interesting:

Tells me:

1. Not a lot of confidence in Dobbs if he thinks he can pressure a Jr right away.
2. Dormandy is perhaps better than we are thinking - maybe (big maybe) we have truly found our QB solution going forward.
3. Our recruits are recruiting, which is how it needs to be - VJ would be a great pickup.

I think we found it in Gibson.

If something happens with Worley this year and Dobbs steps in an impresses then he will be the clear leader going into next year. If Worley plays well enough all year to start the whole year then yeah QB will be up for grabs. Dormady with the receivers that we have will light it up.

Reactions: 1 person
All freshman QB's that come in are always better than what we have on the roster, thought everyone knew that. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 23 people
Gonna be a very long (and futile) wait IMO.

This is kind of how I'm thinking about it. And the class is filling up already. IDK if it would be wise to wait so long for him and passing on other positions of need. I want to see a little more beef in this class. So go out and get it for us KM!

Another in depth article and thread on high school kids kicking butts at the college level and not having to sweat the little details, like actually being there.

If something happens with Worley this year and Dobbs steps in an impresses then he will be the clear leader going into next year. If Worley plays well enough all year to start the whole year then yeah QB will be up for grabs. Dormady with the receivers that we have will light it up.

Dobbs may improve some but I don't see him improving a great deal.

If Dormandy comes on campus in January and hits the ground running, he will beat Dobbs out before the 4th game of his freshman season.

Reactions: 4 people
If they both come it will be RF vs Dobbs II. QD will get hype from VN get beat out and transfer.

Of course your shades are on because TG is black and athletic and you are stargazing. If QD played last year I honestly believe he'd be top 5 QB this class. He's a pure QB and I stand by my statement. If they both come here and you expect TG to play QB, prepare to be disappointed.

Edit: for the RF vs Dobbs debate. RF didn't get "beat" for the job. He was hurt last season and unable to compete. For this year I don't guess he wanted to compete.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Of course your shades are on because TG is black and athletic and you are stargazing. If QD played last year I honestly believe he'd be top 5 QB this class. He's a pure QB and I stand by my statement. If they both come here and you expect TG to play QB, prepare to be disappointed.

Edit: for the RF vs Dobbs debate. RF didn't get "beat" for the job. He was hurt last season and unable to compete. For this year I don't guess he wanted to compete.

Ok stop with the Black /White BS. If I claimed the ones wanting QD wanted him because he was White you and others would throw a fit. It is probably true for some with the way people seem obsessed with bashing a top 20 player at any chance.

I want Gibson who has way more potential. When people start saying Dormady could win a Heisman and comparing him to a bunch of probable college Hall of Famers and say he could get drafted I will change how I think. There is no category Dormady beats him in except being more consistent with his accuracy. Not surprising since Dormady is a coach's son who has been a qb his whole life. That can be fixed easily with a little work. Every other qb attribute Gibson beats him in or matches. Gibson dominated better competition on the field also.

If wanting top rated players is stargazing so be it. Enough of the Dooley diamond in the rough or he is better than the ranking crap. They both have the same amount of qb film. They both have been seen in camps. 247 has seen them both in person and their one year of films and reranked them. Gibson is still way higher on 247. He has more potential and is a better fit for the O.

Dobbs will be a junior next year. Dormady will redshirt, sit Dobbs senior year, and then start as a Sophomore.

Someone screenshot this prediction.

I'm not a college football analyst or any kind of an expert. Just a avid college football fan. I like the Dormady film more than any other QBs we have signed in a long while and certainly more than any other QB currently on our roster. He does a great job going through his progressions and throwing to secondary targets. That's not that common in HS.

Tells me:

Lot of good reports coming lately on how well Dormady is throwing the ball this summer. He's a big strong coach's kid with an elite arm according to Barton Simmons of 24/7. He's also an EE.

As far as Dobbs, of whom I'm a big fan, Swain said he was having a poor Spring and suggested that he might've even taken a step back with regards to his accuracy and decision-making prior to his excellent showing in the O&W game. I personally like the kid and his skill set and would love to see him take the job as a junior and senior.

No one can really know at this point but it's reasonable to believe that this guy's take can be accurate.

Also, don't think we ought to write off Jauan a Jennings. He's the #1 player in Tennessee, a phenomenal athlete and, according to Doug Mathews, will be given every opportunity to play QB at Tennessee. Oughtta be fun to watch 3 talented kids compete.

VN Store

Back