DirecTV and the SEC Network (merged)

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
I have a friend who's father is in the higher echelon of the Directv corporate ladder and he stated the same thing that was printed in an article this morning in USA Today. Their big hangup seems to be making non sports fans paying for a sports channel. It still boggles my mind, I have directv and I pay for channels that I have no interest in, that other people do. It's all part of a package anyway. Anyways, I'm still sweating it out, c'mon Directv, shape up!!!

Reactions: 8 people
No, I was just stating what I was told a couple days ago, it appeared in USA Today this morning.

I have a friend who's father is in the higher echelon of the Directv corporate ladder and he stated the same thing that was printed in an article this morning in USA Today. Their big hangup seems to be making non sports fans paying for a sports channel. It still boggles my mind, I have directv and I pay for channels that I have no interest in, that other people do. It's all part of a package anyway. Anyways, I'm still sweating it out, c'mon Directv, shape up!!!

say-what.gif

Then why am I paying Direct TV for more infomercials than entertaining programming? They may have over 200 channels but most of them are sales channels. And they want you to pay $15.00 more per month for sports channels. At least Comcast had quality programming.

Reactions: 2 people
I've pretty much decided I'll be switching from Directv to Dish the first of the month. I believe Directv will be a holdout until they lose a bunch of customers. JMO, though. Like the OP, I'm paying for a lot of channels I care nothing about. Other providers are getting it done, they could too.

Heck, I may switch before the end of the month. Seen too many statements before like the last one Directv put out and wound up missing programming.

Good one, Count.

Then why am I paying Direct TV for more infomercials than entertaining programming? They may have over 200 channels but most of them are sales channels. And they want you to pay $15.00 more per month for sports channels. At least Comcast had quality programming.

I've had Directv for a while, and they are more greedy than anything. When WWE network was released, Directv immediately cut off any WWE PPV limiting fans who couldn't afford the $10 a month for the network. So now, if you don't have the network you can't watch any ppv's unless you stream them on the internet for free. Dish did the same thing concerning WWE, my question is when does the greediness stop?

Directv has to be the dumbest company around to not see the millions and millions of dollars they can make off the SEC Network. Worrying about non sports fans, BULL****!!! If you're so concerned about non sports fans, then where is your concern for myself, the non craft channel fan? Tell your lies to someone else.

Reactions: 4 people
You have an inside track to a member of the higher echelon of the Directv corporate ladder and you're complaining on VN?

Reactions: 4 people
No way would I give up DirecTV for Dish. I have the college sports package and often get to see UT's Pay-Per-View games included and lots of UT basketball....not to mention NFL Sunday Ticket is like crack for a football fan.

You HAVE to think DirecTV will get the deal done....they're just holding out for leverage.

Reactions: 5 people
Direct tv got purchased by att earlier this year....they are in final stages......att uverse went thru this negotiation I am hoping they get this deal done....they should not be surprised by the numbers....they might feel like they should get a better deal with u verse and directv combined!!!!
Just thoughts.

Directv's statement makes it sound like the issue with ESPN is about which ""package" the SEC Network goes in. I would think DTV is wanting to put the channel in a sports package and charge extra ( with fewer viewers ) and that ESPN is wanting it placed in the same package with ESPN and ESPN2 ( more viewers ). Either way, it's a money deal.

Reactions: 3 people
Here's a quote about the same issue out of an article in the Chattanooga Times Free Press today...

The Sports Business Journal reported earlier this year that the SEC Network will cost $1.30 a month for cable subscribers, or $15.60 annually, in the SEC's 11-state footprint. The SEC Network will cost an extra 25 cents a month outside the league's footprint.

DirecTV announced Thursday that it is having productive discussions with ESPN about carrying the SEC Network but expressed concern with the rising costs.

"Anyone who pays for TV service should have a choice over what teams they want to follow," DirecTV said in a released statement, "and anyone with no interest in sports should not be forced to pay a huge premium for something they don't care to watch. No matter who provides your TV service, the relentlessly rising price of sports has already caused everyone's bill for basic TV to more than double over the past decade.

"In many large cities, the cost for fans to keep the same local teams' games they've always had will double still again between this year and next. Many teams, leagues and conferences will deny their most loyal fans access to games in order to get everyone -- whether you're a fan or not -- to pay the soaring price of admission."​

Also interesting is that apparently EPB is getting roll the deal in their premium sports package, which is probably what DirecTV wants to do.

Pless said EPB has 59,000 subscribers and should be closer to 60,000 by the launch of the SEC Network. The new network would be rolled into a current sports package that is already an additional service.

"Our customers will not have to pay anything additional to receive it," Pless said.​

EPB, Comcast nearing deals with SEC Network | Times Free Press

Question: when I signed up for Directv a few months back, THEIR salesperson told me yes, 100% YES they would be carrying the SEC network. Could I get out of my contract with them due to false advertising? Be interesting to see what a court would say. Would have never signed with them if I thought they would not get the network.

Direct tv got purchased by att earlier this year....they are in final stages......att uverse went thru this negotiation I am hoping they get this deal done....they should not be surprised by the numbers....they might feel like they should get a better deal with u verse and directv combined!!!!
Just thoughts.

yeah, it was a multi-billion dollar deal. ATT and DTV pretty strong stuff. DTV will get the deal done.

Reactions: 1 person
This is not whether Directv will carry the SEC network that has been decided long ago but WHAT PRICE they will pay....nothing less...:clapping::clapping::clapping:

VN Store

Back