Is Butch Jones the best recruiter Tennessee's ever had?

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
It's amazing on how Butch Jones has recruited for us so far. He comes up with crazy ideas in recruiting and he connects with kids so well. He's already pulled in a top 5 class his first year and we could easily have another top 5 class this year if we have an improved season. If Tenneseee shows major improvement these next few years, recruits will take notice. Question is, could Butch Jones be the best recruiter that Tenneseee's ever had in a very long time if we keep showing improvement on the field? What are your thoughts VolNation?

Last edited:
Hes recruiting crazy good on strictly telling these kids that tennessee is going to be back on top soon. Imagine what he can do once we start putting wins and it translates directly to the field. Im sure thats whats holding back some of the guys that has us in there final 4 or 5. There jus waiting to see how we do during the season.

Don't know if he's the best, but he sure as hell is creative. And I like it!

we have had the worst run in modern football history.

so it has to be ever. as in ever. in the world, ever.

Reactions: 1 person
green-blue-world-cup-2014-logo.png

Fulmer in his prime did not have to recruit when we were this horrid. However, Butch has taken great advantage of our facility upgrades and legacies. The kicker will be putting trophies in the case.

Reactions: 2 people
I know some of you think I'm being a "negavol" in this thread but that's just not the case.

I think the most fair thing anyone can say right now is given the cirumstances, Butch has done about as good of a job as anyone can expect so far. I still question his decision to start Peterman against Florida last year and I truly believe his conservative "playing not to lose" approach against Vanderbilt is what ultimately cost us that game. However besides those two things, I think he's done a good job. Is he "the one?" I dont' know and neither does anyone else and a couple of good recruiting classes doesn't change that.

Fulmer was an accomplished recruiter. I always said that Fulmer was not as great as everyone thought. People often assumed that no one else could recruit at UT and overcome not having homegrown, in-state talent. When Fulmer had to recruit in this newer culture, he didn't fair as well. He was old school and not innovative in a way that wows these players today.

Just imagine when we are winning consistently every year with Butch. I think that match up with McKenzie and the Bama o-line commit shows the future. TN vs Bama for the 1 and 2 spots in the recruiting rankings each year.

Just imagine when we are winning consistently every year with Butch. I think that match up with McKenzie and the Bama o-line commit shows the future. TN vs Bama for the 1 and 2 spots in the recruiting rankings each year.

It will be 3 years from now...OL is still wet behind his ears...Satan doesn't play too many frosh at lineman

I hope the people who are saying yes are 8 years old.
CPF was unreal, Johnny Majors was REAL good considering they had no recruiting services and the film on HS athletes was literally film not youtube, hudl, etc...

Butch Jones has undoubtedly been GREAT but he has also taken advantage of some excellent opportunities of better instate talent and some legacy players.

Butch is simply awesome. That tweet about 30 minutes before Mckenzie committed yesterday was priceless IMO. "Filming a commercial here in Neyland stadium and watching ESPNU, LOL!!" Not many coaches would cater to the needs of the fans like he does.

The man knows exactly what he's doing. Lets hope he's just as good with X's and O's when we get the horses in here to compete.

CPF was unreal, Johnny Majors was REAL good considering they had no recruiting services and the film on HS athletes was literally film not youtube, hudl, etc...

Butch Jones has undoubtedly been GREAT but he has also taken advantage of some excellent opportunities of better instate talent and some legacy players.

This cannot be said enough. :good!:

beware of the grey hairs!!!! :)

Legacy players are no longer a lock. He is doing a great job pulling them in also. Butch's results should not be tainted in the least because he has recruited some legacy players. In state talent isnt a lock either. There are plenty of players from TN that have decided to go elsewhere.

I cant stand it when people try to diminish the outstanding results he is having on the recruiting trail.

Legacy players are no longer a lock. He is doing a great job pulling them in also. Butch's results should not be tainted in the least because he has recruited some legacy players. In state talent isnt a lock either. There are plenty of players from TN that have decided to go elsewhere.

I cant stand it when people try to diminish the outstanding results he is having on the recruiting trail.

No one is allowed to be completely excited about what's going on. You know how it is around here with the "realists".

VN Store

Back