I was so wrong...

about Butch Jones when we hired him.

So, so, so wrong

banner4.jpg

Reactions: 12 people
It takes a big man to admit he's a moron! Seriously, welcome to the legion of the wrong-headed. Our numbers continue to grow...

Reactions: 5 people
The jury is still out on Jones. People have been praising him all offseason and speaking of him as if he had already restored the UT program to greatness. Watch those same people blast him after this season if the Vols go 5-7 or so. He may be all that and more, but he has not proven it yet and likely will not in 2014. UT fans will find out if he is the man for the job in 2015. If he trips or stumbles in 2015, he is going to feel the heat.

I liked the hire from the get go, but we still haven't won. I expect we will, but we haven't yet.
Those that said he couldn't recruit were obviously mistaken, and the family environment he has built up there in a short time is really amazing. I think the players will play for each other soon and with the uptick in talent (need I remind Palardy was the 2nd fastest at our pro day this year), the wins will come. Hell, if we had a schedule like Ohio State, we'd have won 8-9 games last year.

Reactions: 11 people
I was thrilled the day Strong turned down TN I was on the Larry Fedora bandwagon, had some uncertainty when UT hired Butch. I now think Hart could not have made a better hire period.

The jury is still out on Jones. People have been praising him all offseason and speaking of him as if he had already restored the UT program to greatness. Watch those same people blast him after thisseason if the Vols go 5-7 or so. He may be all that and more, but he has not proven ityet and likely will not in 2014. UT fans will find ou if he is the an for the job in 2015. If he trips or stumbles in 2015, he is going to feel the heat.

If the player(s) would have executed last year we would have been 7-5, with wins over two ranked teams. Is that on Jones' coaching or the players inability to execute?

Reactions: 7 people
he can recruit them. we still dont know if he can turn that into wins on the field in the SEC.

But he gets the credit he deserves so far.

Yes he still has much to prove on the field.

The good news is however, is that he would have to suck as a coach not to get wins once these guys mature a little!

I agree that he hasn't proven much yet besides the fact that he can recruit. Lane Kiffin could recruit too, but he turned out to not be a very good football coach.
I'm not saying Butch is anything like Lane, I'm just suggesting that the jury is still out on him.
It is undeniable, however, that he HAS already proven to have so much more character than either of our previous two coaches. I believe that coupled with his recruiting ability will have to amount to something in the end...won't it?
If Dormady, Dobbs, or possibly Gibson turn out to be good QBs for Tennessee, we should be in the SEC East race by 2016.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch has had somewhat of a perfect storm since he's arrived here, dealing with the leftover Dooley stench, horrible scheduling, and sub-par SEC talent. He's done wonders at this point, IMO, even though the record doesn't reflect it. We really can't expect it to until the talent that he's brought in matures and he recruits and signs another great class in 2015. I would like to see 6-6 this year, 5-6 would be a disappointment. I would be ecstatic with 7-5. In 2015, I'd like to see 8-9 wins.

Reactions: 6 people
I agree that he hasn't proven much yet besides the fact that he can recruit. Lane Kiffin could recruit too, but he turned out to not be a very good football coach.
I'm not saying Butch is anything like Lane, I'm just suggesting that the jury is still out on him.
It is undeniable, however, that he HAS already proven to have so much more character than either of our previous two coaches. I believe that coupled with his recruiting ability will have to amount to something in the end...won't it?
If Dormady, Dobbs, or possibly Gibson turn out to be good QBs for Tennessee, we should be in the SEC East race by 2016.

Kiffin & his staff could recruit from the standpoint of getting our name in the lights but what kind of bugs does a bright light attract? And as we all know, most of those 4 & 5 star guys didn't last long at all, mostly due to ethical issues.

Actually, I think Kiffin could coach. He did wonders with our QB situation and put us within a field goal of beating the NC that year. It's all the other stuff that was his downfall.

It appears that CBJ has been an excellent recruiter of high quality (ability and ethics) so far. I remember DAJ arguing that he was a great in-game coach based on what he did at Cinci & W. Michigan based on the talent he was working with and against. However, I haven't seen that in too many games so far, with the exception of UGA & SC. I am hoping he is around for a long time and that they do build a statue of him outside of Neyland, however.

Reactions: 4 people
Game day coaching hasn't been answered yet.

Recruiting? We've established ourselves as a recruiting juggernaut on bama and OSU's level.

All credit there goes to Butch.

Reactions: 7 people
Yes he still has much to prove on the field.

The good news is however, is that he would have to suck as a coach not to get wins once these guys mature a little!

The ONLY question I had about Butch when we hired him was recruiting. That has been answered completely. Now it's just a matter of time.

Reactions: 2 people
We must remember, we almost beat a UGA team with our young inexperienced team last year, and we even beat the Gamecocks.

I know he still has some to prove but beating ranked teams is something we haven't done in a while

Reactions: 4 people
he can recruit them. we still dont know if he can turn that into wins on the field in the SEC.

But he gets the credit he deserves so far.

He was able to beat #11 USCe and almost pulled a HUGE upset of #6 UGA...For now, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on being able to win in the SEC.

Reactions: 6 people
I remember when we hired him I thought "I don't know much about this guy but it seems like a good hire, wonder if he can recruit in the SEC?" Turns out he can recruit anywhere!

If the player(s) would have executed last year we would have been 7-5, with wins over two ranked teams. Is that on Jones' coaching or the players inability to execute?
It is on the coach: he is responsible for repping them until they will execute. Fulmer, who would not hesitate to heap all blame on the players, would say we had a flawless game plan, but "the kids just didn't execute." Well, after the kids didn't execute for enough years, it was Fulmer that got fired.

That said, there is only so much a coach can do in his first year with not-very-good players. If they are losing in 2015 because they don't execute, Butch will have a problem.

Not taking anything away from Butch and his recruiting because I love the guy! Two things I see some of the top recruits we have are legacy recruits which we should land and secondly Thigpen has been a ace and deserve a heck of a bump in salary. These are the only two things that question me about the greatest recruiter talk. And yes I know he hired Thigpen.

The jury is still out on Jones. People have been praising him all offseason and speaking of him as if he had already restored the UT program to greatness. Watch those same people blast him after this season if the Vols go 5-7 or so. He may be all that and more, but he has not proven it yet and likely will not in 2014. UT fans will find out if he is the man for the job in 2015. If he trips or stumbles in 2015, he is going to feel the heat.

Doubt that, a lot of the talking heads are telling Vols fans that a 5-7 year is definitely possible. They know this year will be tough.

Game day coaching hasn't been answered yet.

Recruiting? We've established ourselves as a recruiting juggernaut on bama and OSU's level.

All credit there goes to Butch.

Agree.

Recruiting/Off the field ....A+
2013 Gameday coaching/preparation ....D

I liked the hire from the get go, but we still haven't won. I expect we will, but we haven't yet.
Those that said he couldn't recruit were obviously mistaken, and the family environment he has built up there in a short time is really amazing. I think the players will play for each other soon and with the uptick in talent (need I remind Palardy was the 2nd fastest at our pro day this year), the wins will come. Hell, if we had a schedule like Ohio State, we'd have won 8-9 games last year.
This is true.

Reactions: 1 person
If Tennessee isn't in a discussion for the East next year we have completely dumbed down all hope of returning to any semblance of a solid program..That's just the truth.

VN Store

Back