Best SEC East backs since 1992

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
I can't believe he's the only Vol on the list or that he's #5

5. Jamal Lewis, Tennessee, 1997-99: Lewis was a rare combination of size and speed, and he was tough to bring down when healthy. The only problem for many Vols fans is that Lewis wasn’t healthy often enough. He played just 26 games in his three-year career, but he averaged 103 yards per game in those contests. He burst onto the scene as a freshman, rushing for 1,364 yards and seven touchdowns. He also caught 23 passes and added two receiving TDs. As a sophomore, he was average about 120 yards per game and almost 7 yards per carry when he injured his knee in the fourth game of the Vols’ National Championship season. He recovered enough to play as a junior, and was the No. 5 overall pick in the 2000 draft by the Baltimore Ravens. He averaged 5.5 yards per carry for his Tennessee career and 12.2 yards per catch.

The best running backs to play in the SEC East in divisional era

Last edited:
I agree considering these guys fit the criteria:

Hayden
Stewart
Garner
Henry
Stephens
Riggs

I'm sure there are others, but these popped in my head.

Reactions: 1 person
# 1 is Rhett.

# 2 is
berry2copy.gif

Reactions: 5 people
Garner came in and took the starting position from Stewart and ... Impressive, Both had great NFL careers

Some non-Vols that are better than Moe freakin Williams. Fred Taylor, Deuce Staley, and the underated Robert Edwards of UGA. Garrison Hearst is the only guy on that list close to Jamal Lewis.

Hearst has no business on the list since it starts in. '92 JMO.

Moe Williams was a nice back for Kentucky. Not top 5 since '92

Moe Williams was one of the best I've seen. I hate Kentucky but I liked him. Sad he suffered that injury. He was serious business folks.....

Garrison Hearst should most definitely be near the top of the list.

Charlie Garner was great. Of course Jamal Lewis and Travis Henry. Travis Stephens was the only all American out of that Vol backfield though.....

Someone said Gerald Riggs? That's laughable at best. Biggest underachieving rb, maybe.....

Moe Williams was one of the best I've seen. I hate Kentucky but I liked him. Sad he suffered that injury. He was serious business folks.....

Garrison Hearst should most definitely be near the top of the list.

Charlie Garner was great. Of course Jamal Lewis and Travis Henry. Travis Stephens was the only all American out of that Vol backfield though.....

Someone said Gerald Riggs? That's laughable at best. Biggest underachieving rb, maybe.....

no.. that would be Jabri Davis

Errict Rhett was a true fan favorite. This is another case where his statistics are more impressive than other players, but other players are better.

Fred Taylor is flat out a better running back than Rhett.

Errict Rhett was a true fan favorite. This is another case where his statistics are more impressive than other players, but other players are better.

I hated the "wrap-around" draw to Rhett. It was always called at the right time and always worked.

Agreed

Riggs was NOT even close to being a top back since 1992 or ever.

Come on man!!

That would have been me that mentioned Riggs. I didn't see the list and realize it was only 5 players. Based on that, I would put Garner slightly ahead of Lewis.

VN Store

Back