Best Tennessee Linebackers

Nocleats

During John Chavis run as Tenns DC. many of their best linebackers started or recruited as Tall Safeties or ones that were a little heavy for the position.. In about 24 months after arriving they would be slightly undersized but extremely fast and athletic Linebackers who dominated at the college game. By their redshirt junior year they were studs! A few that come to mind are Al Wilson, Mayo, and others.. Some were running backs who fit the same mold. Just wondering who Tennessee has on their roster that might fit this kind of profile because it works?
Also J Majors used to recruit more DLineman than Olineman and the ones who weren't fast enough to play on Defense were moved to the offense where 2 years "marinating" in the weight room and learning technique had them ready to go on offense and they were meaner than hell with their DLineman mindsets.. I think we will see this from 2 or three DLine Freshmen this year and give them a couple of seasons to get there..

:yahoo::detective:

This staff is getting really fast guys who can multiple position except for DT and thy are already on the defensive side

My favorite LB was a RB coming out of high school. It was Eric Westmoreland. Fuller really like to turn RB into LB.

Reactions: 10 people
Is there an echo in here? :)

h1609182F

Reactions: 2 people
"..Also J Majors used to recruit more DLineman than Olineman and the ones who weren't fast enough to play on Defense were moved to the offense."

When you think of the dominating O-lines that he had in '89, '90, '91 etc., that's not a bad philosophy.

Chavis has also been recruiting strong, athletic DL for years. Thats how he shut down Johnny Mandouche for 2 years straight.

God I miss Chavis. Another one who should have never been fired.

Reactions: 3 people
Keith Delong. I lost count of how many tackles he made vs. the criminal tide in '88.

Westmoreland, Hacksaw, Jackie Walker, Darrin Miller, RAYNOCH!, #27... too many!

Reactions: 1 person
The Alpha and Omega of UT LBs, and it isn't close IMO. Amazing player and leader.

Absolutely! I wish we had him on campus more than anybody. The fire and passion he had for the game would be contagious!

The way that he hit people would be illegal today.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back