Dolly Parton Singing Rocky Top at Glastonbury

turambar85

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQW_iXXarc[/youtube]

I know it isn't exactly Vol Football news, but watching Dolly Parton sing Rocky Top in front of an enormous crowd at Glastonbury is still pretty awesome!

Rocky Top starts around 23:39

Reactions: 8 people
check out the phish version. it's pretty great. also, it happens to be their most performed cover over the course of their career.

102,000 singing it sounds better to me. Good ole rocky top!

There's nothing like a crowd at Neyland singing it unison. It's just special and we're fortunate to have such a tradition. I don't think I'm being a homer either - I've heard too many fans comment about how amazing that is and even a few who said the first time they heard the crowd sing it gave them chills. I know our SEC brethren get tired of how catchy it is especially since the band plays it a lot but a lot of them will admit it's awesome (in limited doses).

Reactions: 2 people
check out the phish version. it's pretty great. also, it happens to be their most performed cover over the course of their career.

Just looked this up, can't believe I'd never heard Phish doing Rocky Top! The vocals were weak but the instrumentals were rockin.

And yeah, Dolly is still awesome.

Reactions: 1 person
Great Stuff! Thx for sharing and wonder how many other SEC teams or NCAA teams had their song played this summer at an international music festival?

Reactions: 2 people
you motor boating son of a gun. you old sailor you.

tumblr_mjj6jtVWnp1qzv5kko1_500.gif

Reactions: 6 people

it definitely is not their most performed cover over their career.

Rocky top = 193 times
2001 (Also Sprach Zarathustra) = 194
Good Times Bad Times = 211
Hold Your Head Up = 303
Uncle Pen = 207

Songs - Phish.net

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQW_iXXarc[/youtube]

I know it isn't exactly Vol Football news, but watching Dolly Parton sing Rocky Top in front of an enormous crowd at Glastonbury is still pretty awesome!

Rocky Top starts around 23:39
I love Dolly, but her voice doesn't fit the song.

There's nothing like a crowd at Neyland singing it unison. It's just special and we're fortunate to have such a tradition. I don't think I'm being a homer either - I've heard too many fans comment about how amazing that is and even a few who said the first time they heard the crowd sing it gave them chills. I know our SEC brethren get tired of how catchy it is especially since the band plays it a lot but a lot of them will admit it's awesome (in limited doses).

I'm not a You Tube person...but a few years ago I uploaded a single video I took at the UT v. Florida game that showed the pregame program at the point the above poster is referencing when the band salutes the opposing team by playing their fight song.....then turns back up the field and the Rocky Top sing along begins.

I posted it thinking a few hundred or a few thousand (?) fans might get a kick out of it. Nearly four years later----it has over 160,000 views. Just Google 'Rocky Top Sing Along' and you'll find it. (Oh, and some of the comments left about the video are about what you'd expect---some praise, some trash talking.)

VN Store

Back