Great SEC RB's - Most Recent and 2014 Forecast

voldawgforever

Who will become the SEC’s next great freshman running back?

Several coaches hope to be able to answer that question with their signees this year.

Over the last several years, the conference has seen some wide-eyed, uber-talented running backs make instant splashes. Over the last 10 years, six true freshmen running backs have rushed for 1,000 yards:

Darren McFadden, Arkansas 1,113 yards (2005)
Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina, 1,197 yards (2010)
Michael Dyer, Auburn 1,093 yards (2010)
Todd Gurley, Georgia, 1,385 yards (2012)
TJ Yeldon, Alabama, 1,108 yards (2012)
Alex Collins, Arkansas, 1,026 yards (2013)
The most recent back to eclipse the mark was Arkansas freshman Alex Collins, who hit the mark with virtually no passing game helping offset the running game. Collins had a fantastic year in 2013, rushing for 1,026 yards. TJ Yeldon and Todd Gurley were the two to beat the mark in 2012.

RELATED: Will Mark Richt run Gurley too much in 2014?

So, which freshmen will rush for 1,000 yards in 2014? Lucky for you, we’ve narrowed down five frontrunners who were all top 10 high school running backs:

Nick Chubb, Georgia

Why he will: Chubb is the most like Todd Gurley and is physically ready for the SEC punishment. Despite being a monster, Chubb has excellent vision and speed to be a big-time player immediately.

Why he won’t: Georgia’s backfield is crowded, and assuming Keith Marshall is healthy, the bulk of the carries will go to Gurley and Marshall. Sony Michel could also show up ready to contribute immediately.

Leonard Fournette, LSU

Why he will: Dubbed the next Adrian Peterson, Leonard Fournette is the total package and may be the most talented player in the country, regardless of age. At 6-1, 226 pounds, if you could build the prototypical back, Fournette’s it. The Tigers’ offensive line is a veteran group, and he could become the top back immediately in an offense that’s conducive for many carries.

Why he won’t: Seniors Terrence Magee and Kenny Hilliard have both proven they are capable of being the featured back, and there may not be enough carries for Fournette to even get to 1,000 yards.

Jalen Hurd, Tennessee

Why he will: Hurd could be a perfect fit for Tennessee’s offense and could become the featured back over returner Marlin Lane. Butch Jones’ goal is to put playmakers in space, and Hurd could be a key catalyst for an improved offense. Knowing Rajion Neal rushed for 1,124 yards, Jones’ offense will run the football. Hurd could be the recipient of the most carries.

Why he won’t: Despite the running game being a base for the offense, the passing game has to improve. But the biggest liability to Hurd not getting 1,000 yards may be the offensive line. The Vols replace all five starters, and inexperience will headline the group.

Article from Saturday Down South

I believe Hurd will make an immediate impact. If our O-line jells I think he could reach 1,000 yds. And having a threat like that will help take pressure off the passing game, which should be fine given the talent we have there, so long as our QB can get the WRs the ball and avoid turnovers. Obvious I know but we don't have to have a world beater at QB this yr, a game manager type of QB will do just fine.

Somebody told me his old high school coach told Butch not to play him this year. It basically sounded like "Jalen's old coach at Beech High School is the man."

Reactions: 3 people
I wouldn't be surprised if Lane gets hurt or just passed. I think Hurd gets about 1100 this year with about 9 tds.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lane has a senior year similar to Montario Hardesty

I always liked Lane. I don't know if he can stay healthty though. I also think even if he does Hurd is just that talented. Not a knock on Lane. Just that Hurd will be that good imo.

i like hurd, but i don't see him passing Lane, unless injury. This guy has been through his share of injuries, but runs really hard and runs with a style that you don't really see. He's got great vision and uses his blocks very well. he seems very smart and has a lot of patience too. he's hungery, this kid wants to make his mark.

I believe Hurd will make an immediate impact. If our O-line jells I think he could reach 1,000 yds. And having a threat like that will help take pressure off the passing game, which should be fine given the talent we have there, so long as our QB can get the WRs the ball and avoid turnovers. Obvious I know but we don't have to have a world beater at QB this yr, a game manager type of QB will do just fine.
I agree 100% with everything you said. On a side note, did you see the protesters out last night at the county complex? Didn't look to be as many as last year to me.

Would love to see Lane and Hurd each get 1000 yards rushing and North, Croom, and Malone each get 1000 yards receiving!

I agree 100% with everything you said. On a side note, did you see the protesters out last night at the county complex? Didn't look to be as many as last year to me.

I didn't even notice them lol. So I guess there was fewer this year. You going to the jambo next week?

Lane is looking like a freak right now. He is going to surprise a lot of people this year. He probably has like 6 percent body fat, no joke. Hurd will provide us with a dynamic back-up and will plow over an overworked defense. I say Hurd houses one the first game from deep.

VN Store

Back