Why do we claim 1967 as a national title in football?

BeattieFeathers

We make fun of Bama fans a lot for claiming questionable titles, but I know we weren't better than USC and ou beat us in the orange bowl. Claiming 1967 has always been a mystery to me. Anybody know why?:hi:

Reactions: 1 person
It's not complicated. It was awarded by Litkenhaus. Litkenhaus was recognized by the NCAA. Hence the national title claim.

Reactions: 20 people
We make fun of Bama fans a lot for claiming questionable titles, but I know we weren't better than USC and ou beat us in the orange bowl. Claiming 1967 has always been a mystery to me. Anybody know why?:hi:

Just accept it and move on.

Eyeroll-kandi-1.gif

Reactions: 2 people
These threads are starting to get comical. I only click on Beattie threads to watch the epic flaming that goes on.

Reactions: 3 people
It's not complicated. It was awarded by Litkenhaus. Litkenhaus was recognized by the NCAA. Hence the national title claim.

what?

I thought the whole problem with all of this is that nothing is recognized by the NCAA.

If we all want to get technical, there has never been a national champion in division 1 football.

Reactions: 2 people
what?

I thought the whole problem with all of this is that nothing is recognized by the NCAA.

If we all want to get technical, there has never been a national champion in division 1 football.

It was always mythical until the Bowl Coalition and later the BCS got 1 vs 2 at the end of the year. But . . . the official NCAA record book recognizes "championships" that were awarded from several different polls. When more than half the polls agreed, it was considered a consensus championship. That's the reason there's always a difference between claimed championships and consensus championships. [/dissertationcomplete]

Reactions: 7 people

How can you claim you aren't a troll when just about every post/thread you make suggests that you would want us to be mediocre? "8-4 and 7-5 are ok" "we can never recreate the fulmer days" "we should claim less titles" This attitude is one that makes no sense for any true VFL to have.

Reactions: 4 people
I can make it stop for you. Here's how: When you see a thread titled "why do we claim 1967 as a national title in football", don't click on it.

Hope that helps.

I was speaking more to the OPs threads. I'm on mobile and didn't see who started it.

Glad I could help you get your smart a$$ fix for the day.

Reactions: 4 people
This. This was the way national titles were decided at that time. End of story.

The consensus selectors were already acknowledged by that point. Litkenhous has never been a consensus selector.

Yep. Various organizations had polls for a mythical championship that did t even factor in bowl games.

Litkenhous was not a poll. It was a mathematical system, kinda like Sagarin.

Reactions: 1 person
It was always mythical until the Bowl Coalition and later the BCS got 1 vs 2 at the end of the year. But . . . the official NCAA record book recognizes "championships" that were awarded from several different polls. When more than half the polls agreed, it was considered a consensus championship. That's the reason there's always a difference between claimed championships and consensus championships. [/dissertationcomplete]

That's not what "consensus" means in this case. There have been four consensus selectors: AP, Coaches (UP, USA Today, BCS), FWAA, and NCF. Being selected by any one of the four qualifies as a consensus championship. Ohio State was a consensus champion in 1961 even though they only won the FWAA while Alabama won the other three.

If you knew that much history regarding the 1967 season I'm pretty sure you already know why the University claims a title in 67? It's a bogus claim but everybody seems to do it these days. AP and UPI had us at like 8 or 9 at the end of the season.

VN Store

Back