Strength and Conditioning of The Players

WilliamDuVOL

I decided to make this it's own thread so I could get opinions. Something got me thinking. We're all saying we're worried about our lines, and yes freshman mistakes will be an issue, but I just kind of thought back on the comment Jones made in March that we now have 9 players (three months ago) that could squat 600+ pounds. That number might have improved. I'm wondering if poor condition from prior coaching left our lines weak. Well not wondering, I know it did. I guess I'm asking, do you think that with this new work ethic and increased all around strength training, our lines may actually be able to perform better this year from a competitiveness standpoint?

Reactions: 7 people
I believe in Dave Lawson. The man will get our players ready for whatever it is they need to do. This staff has worked together for a long time. They know exactly what needs to happen and what kind of strength and speed needs to be there.

I do think we'll see a HUGE difference in speed and conditioning at all positions this year.

Reactions: 7 people
I heard Quay Picou on TSR yesterday. He said one of his biggest goals for this season was to show up in shape because of all the running that UT does. It's definitely nice having guys try to prepare themselves, conditioning wise, before they even get here. It definitely can't hurt

Reactions: 9 people
I think more than anything the frequency of S&C coach changes plus the changes of direction with regard to philosophy hurt the past players a good bit. Lawson has them going in a singular direction now based on Jones' philosophies on O and D.

IMO, one of the keys to Oregon's success is that they have hired HC's that didn't change the philosophies of their team very much. Dooley's biggest disservice to UT was his failed attempt to go to a Bama style power O and 3-4 D. Previously UT was balanced and multiple on O and built around speed on D. Jones is headed back in that direction on D.

On O, the loss of the OL may be a blessing in disguise. The new starters will be more products of the new system.

Reactions: 10 people
I believe in Dave Lawson. The man will get our players ready for whatever it is they need to do. This staff has worked together for a long time. They know exactly what needs to happen and what kind of strength and speed needs to be there.

I do think we'll see a HUGE difference in speed and conditioning at all positions this year.

That's what I'm suggesting with this post. I think with that improvement we may actually see better push and pressure on the opposing QB, and maybe even better running lanes coupled with faster RBs.

Reactions: 1 person
Seems like every pic I have seen of players, they all look pretty ripped! I think CBJ and Co. are working the hell out of these guys and that is good! JMO

Reactions: 2 people
Honestly I think all of our S&C coaches have been pretty good, the turnover has been way too much for them to have much of an influence.
The only coach I didnt care for too much was Johnny Long, I did like the guy Kiffy brought in that Coach O ran off

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMpPF4I2mYY[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmzpGGMy46c[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I like this thread and most of the comments so far. I do recall reading of more accountability in the S&C program since CBJ and his crew have been on the scene. Yes, it does seem as if we are seeing a leaner more cut bunch of players from the pics published here at VN so far. Will that translate to performance on the field? A lot of people don't realize it but most plays that go <10 yds, last about 3/5 seconds. It takes speed and explosiveness at the point of attack to succeed for those entire 3/5 seconds. Based on pictures alone along with their weights, I believe we'll see a very serviceable and good OL. We're thin at DL no doubt, but those that show up will be good there IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
Honestly I think all of our S&C coaches have been pretty good, the turnover has been way too much for them to have much of an influence.
The only coach I didnt care for too much was Johnny Long, I did like the guy Kiffy brought in that Coach O ran off

I actually liked the guy that Dooley brought in from Florida (forgot his name). The guy who had trained special forces. I had hoped Coach Jones would keep him on staff but I understand why he hired Lawson. He trusts him and has worked with him for years.

There's a reason that Bama's and LSU's S&C Coaches have what amounts to tenure in their profession...singular dedication,consistent output....and results...it seems all Lawson needs is spins of the globe to make his own imprint...face it...ANYONE who gets hired at this level is academically knowledgeable and certified credentially...but like the HC position,what you do works...or it doesn't....it seems he's improved athletic stock at every stop he's been.

I decided to make this it's own thread so I could get opinions. Something got me thinking. We're all saying we're worried about our lines, and yes freshman mistakes will be an issue, but I just kind of thought back on the comment Jones made in March that we now have 9 players (three months ago) that could squat 600+ pounds. That number might have improved. I'm wondering if poor condition from prior coaching left our lines weak. Well not wondering, I know it did. I guess I'm asking, do you think that with this new work ethic and increased all around strength training, our lines may actually be able to perform better this year from a competitiveness standpoint?
I have not seen the workouts of the previous coaches or the present coaches. I find it hard to believe that with all the facilities that a Division 1 program has at it's disposal you would not work as hard as the other teams in you conference. I guess the point I am trying to make is that we all seem to be impressed with the "work ethic of the present coaching staff', I for one look forward to seeing what this group of athletes will accomplish. Yes, the "work ethic" of these recruits looks impressive!

Last edited:
The big challenge we'll have is with the young guys. They may get in shape, but there is a whole lot of physical development that happens between the ages of 18-21 that allows their bodies(and minds) to respond to the stresses of the sport much more effectively. One of the reasons it takes a couple of years to produce top linemen is simply the need to change their bodies. Some respond faster than others, but on average you want those freshmen to have the time in a redshirt to get them through that transformation. We won't have that luxury with all of them, but I'm sure the coaches will have a few they want to allow to grow into men.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0gS3vOgYEc[/youtube]

Finally got my videos to post.

This is the most recent video concerning UT's S&C

@0:35 I cringe watching whoever's knee position is. Snap city is imminent

Reactions: 4 people
The big challenge we'll have is with the young guys. They may get in shape, but there is a whole lot of physical development that happens between the ages of 18-21 that allows their bodies(and minds) to respond to the stresses of the sport much more effectively. One of the reasons it takes a couple of years to produce top linemen is simply the need to change their bodies. Some respond faster than others, but on average you want those freshmen to have the time in a redshirt to get them through that transformation. We won't have that luxury with all of them, but I'm sure the coaches will have a few they want to allow to grow into men.

I have to agree with you on this. No matter how big they are at 17 they still need to develop mentally to handle the pressure of the game. But I believe that this staff knows that and they are push to the limit mentally in the weight room so they can be prepared for that.

J. James commented last year that under CDD, players would often times just check off S&C sessions.

That is one reason our OL underperformed the last two years. Tiny being banged up and transitioning to the Read Option were other factors.

Something that Juwan James said last year stuck with me, his Fresh and So season all they had to do is to show up at the center and sign their name for attendance...probably why they didnt live up to their billing...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0gS3vOgYEc[/youtube]

Finally got my videos to post.

This is the most recent video concerning UT's S&C

@0:35 I cringe watching whoever's knee position is. Snap city is imminent

No it isn't. Quit making stuff. Aj is still walking just fine. Everybody's an expert off one minute clips.

J. James commented last year that under CDD, players would often times just check off S&C sessions.

That is one reason our OL underperformed the last two years. Tiny being banged up and transitioning to the Read Option were other factors.

So that explains why our so called star studded line couldn't get any push.

My opinion, Todd Kelly Jr. will definitely, be moved from safety to outside linebacker, you can tell by his body stature, 6'0 191...

Seems like every pic I have seen of players, they all look pretty ripped! I think CBJ and Co. are working the hell out of these guys and that is good! JMO

I can't remember the last time our players looked this fit.

My opinion, Todd Kelly Jr. will definitely, be moved from safety to outside linebacker, you can tell by his body stature, 6'0 191...

One of these days we 're going to keep our players at the position we recruited them to dominate at.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back