How would you define a "break out season" for the Tennessee Vols?

VolFan4Life87

Negatron
Well it's no secret we've been down for quite some time now. Most of the historical power house programs have had down times and then reversed the trend with "break-out" seasons - seasons that showed stark contrast to previous years, particularly (obviously) in the wins column.

My question to VN is not when, since I know most on here would predict 2015, but rather what milestone(s) would in your mind classify the season as a "break-out" season for the Vols?

For me personally, it would be finishing 3rd or better in the SEC East. It would be not only a bowl appearance but a bowl WIN. Lastly, as far as wins, I think my first two points would require 8-9 wins to achieve thus setting the mark for the win column.

Thoughts???

Reactions: 1 person
1. Win ALL the games that should be wins.
2. Win at least some of the games that are subject to debate.
3. Have at least one surprise win.

That's a breakout. Anything less can be progress but not a "breakout."

For me, here's how I'd measure the season..

5-7 (or worse). I would consider this a "let down" season.

6-6 with losses to Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina. I would consider this an "expected" season.

7-5 with 1 win against any of Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina. I would consider a "suprising" or "overachieving" season.

8-4 (or better) with 2 wins against any of Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina. I would consider this a truly "breakout" season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
To me a "breakout season" connotes wildly exceeding expectations which by most predictions puts our win total at 5-6 wins. I think breakout season equals 9-10 wins.

Seven would be a very good season but "break out" to me is something more than just above average.

For this team and schedule, I'd say 8-4 and in the conversation for the East for at least a portion of the season. Breaking the streaks against Bama and UF would be good signs too.

Reactions: 3 people
VolFan4Life - I think a breakout season would be at least 2 upset wins and finishing, at the minimum, in the top 3 of the east.

Okay for real now:

Its going to be a tough, but very exciting year I believe. I think we can win 6 games, but winning one unexpected games out of Florida, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Georgia, and to get to seven games would really help out in recruiting. This needs to be the year we get back to bowl game and do some damage to the SEC East finishing in the top 3.

But I really wanna beat Missouri. That's the team I really really wanna beat.

Go Vols!

14-0, SEC Champs, Nat'l title, 5 or more All Americans, anything less and I say we fire Jones and hire Gruden.

This. And for us, I think the Colts go 19-0 on their way to the Super Bowl next season while the Pacers go 82-0 and 16-0 in the post season. Lance Stephenson will successfully blow in Lebron's ear again while simultaneously averaging 20 ppg 15 rpg 12 apg and 10 spg in a Heat-Pacers ECF. Not only that, but Indianapolis will be awarded an MLB team, an MLS team, and an NHL team. Barack Obama will move the capitol building to the Circle and Indianapolis will become the center of the universe. Dream big, right?

Reactions: 2 people
This. And for us, I think the Colts go 19-0 on their way to the Super Bowl next season while the Pacers go 82-0 and 16-0 in the post season. Lance Stephenson will successfully blow in Lebron's ear again while simultaneously averaging 20 ppg 15 rpg 12 apg and 10 spg in a Heat-Pacers ECF. Not only that, but Indianapolis will be awarded an MLB team, an MLS team, and an NHL team. Barack Obama will move the capitol building to the Circle and Indianapolis will become the center of the universe. Dream big, right?

Dude, are you serious?? No way Stephenson averages 10 steals per game.

Reactions: 4 people
Dude, are you serious?? No way Stephenson averages 10 steals per game.

:eek:lol:

...You know, the sad part is many posters would think your response was serious and get super mad about how you didn't get the joke.

Reactions: 3 people
For me, here's how I'd measure the season..

5-7 (or worse). I would consider this a "let down" season.

6-6 with losses to Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina. I would consider this an "expected" season.

7-5 with 1 win against any of Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina. I would consider a "suprising" or "overachieving" season.

8-4 (or better) with 2 wins against any of Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina. I would consider this a truly "breakout" season.

Granted I'm expecting a 6-6 or 7-5 season, let's be realistic here. 5-7 would be hard to stomach, but USU could very easily be their conference champion, Arky State could very easily be their conference champion, OU could easily be their conference champion. Those are 3 very poorly, unfortunately planned OOC games. Then we play Georgia, Florida, USC, Bama, and Ole Miss. Mizzou will still be decent maybe, Vandy should be worse, and Kentucky might improve but still... meh. Then we play Chatt which is the only absolute lock win I see on this schedule. With the amount of freshmen we'll be playing, I wouldn't call 5-7 a "let down" so much as a tough break. I expect better, but if it does happen, the turnaround next season will be all the sweeter.

1. Win ALL the games that should be wins.
2. Win at least some of the games that are subject to debate.
3. Have at least one surprise win.

That's a breakout. Anything less can be progress but not a "breakout."

This sums it up perfectly. Win the ones we should a couple we shouldn't.

With our schedule this year, going 8-4 would be breakout because that means we got at least 1-2 wins we shouldn't have. If one of those were Bama or OU then lookout.

Well it's no secret we've been down for quite some time now. Most of the historical power house programs have had down times and then reversed the trend with "break-out" seasons - seasons that showed stark contrast to previous years, particularly (obviously) in the wins column.

My question to VN is not when, since I know most on here would predict 2015, but rather what milestone(s) would in your mind classify the season as a "break-out" season for the Vols?

For me personally, it would be finishing 3rd or better in the SEC East. It would be not only a bowl appearance but a bowl WIN. Lastly, as far as wins, I think my first two points would require 8-9 wins to achieve thus setting the mark for the win column.

Thoughts???

So that is the modern day definition of a breakout season now? 3rd place? Really?

So that is the modern day definition of a breakout season now? 3rd place? Really?

I agree... Breakout is what Mizzou and Auburn did last year, though a season that gets you "coach of the year" honors would have to be pretty good without putting an absolute win/loss total

Presently, yes. Given the competitive nature of the SEC, finishing 3rd in the east would mean anywhere from 8-10 wins on the season last year for example. Also note I said 3rd or better. Breakout season is relative and we haven't won more than 5 games in 3 years or been bowling in 4.

Also I think people are defining breakout seasons for THIS YEAR. That was not my question, though it is one way to answer I guess.

I get 8 wins, bowl games, etc. but to truly be breakout you gotta beat either Bama or Florida and end at least one of those beat down streaks!

anything above 8 wins in consecutive seasons signals a comeback to me. I'm gonna get excited when we get to 9 wins. It's fun as hell and I expect to win some we shouldn't until then.

8 wins which includes a win over Florida and GA. We take Bama to the 2 min mark and Saban looks like he needs to take a dump he's so worried.

VN Store

Back