Not worried about Blair at LT

VOLorNuttin

During the spring it seemed like Blair may have been supplanted by the walk-on and recent scholarship recipient, Jacob Gilliam. And thus a lot of folks are scared about our OL, this fall. I don't think so. Seems like there was some question about his conditioning...not about his ability.

He's not a HS Freshman, He's a JUCO guy and I'm sure they saw enough of him before he committed, to discern whether or not he had the talent to play in the SEC.

He didn't have much time to get into shape to play in the kind of up-tempo system that we run, before Spring camp started. I have no doubt he will get there by the time Fall camp rolls around...in our summer S&C program.

So, let's not jump to conclusions, thinking we are in trouble at the LT spot this fall. We'll be just fine and will be in good hands, with Blair.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wY58qzw1jY[/youtube]

Reactions: 6 people
I agree. I don't think our OL will be as much of a liability as some writers and fans seem to think (although I understand why they say it).

If not anything else, I hope they possess the "mean streak" we've missed in the last few years and show a willingness to be great run blockers as the pass blocking improves.

as long as they can run the ball, they will be fine. Play action pass and zone reads will be very successful if we can run up the middle.

Reactions: 2 people
During the spring it seemed like Blair may have been supplanted by the walk-on and recent scholarship recipient, Jacob Gilliam. And thus a lot of folks are scared about our OL, this fall. I don't think so. Seems like there was some question about his conditioning...not about his ability.

He's not a HS Freshman, He's a JUCO guy and I'm sure they saw enough of him before he committed, to discern whether or not he had the talent to play in the SEC.

He didn't have much time to get into shape to play in the kind of up-tempo system that we run, before Spring camp started. I have no doubt he will get there by the time Fall camp rolls around...in our summer S&C program.

So, let's not jump to conclusions, thinking we are in trouble at the LT spot this fall. We'll be just fine and will be in good hands, with Blair.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wY58qzw1jY[/youtube]

I hear what you're saying, but we do not recruit JUCOS to turn them into projects. We recruit them so we can plug them in immediately and they start contributing. I hope you're right but the fact that Blair could not separate himself from a walk on speaks volumes to me.

Him not getting starting reps wasn't a surprise to me...all of his film I saw, he looked extremely slow and stiff. I hope he turns a corner sooner than later tho.

Reactions: 1 person
Him not getting starting reps wasn't a surprise to me...all of his film I saw, he looked extremely slow and stiff. I hope he turns a corner sooner than later tho.

I was just about to post the same thing. Unless that gets corrected quickly, he will get abused by SEC DE's.

I have worries about the entire OL, not just Blair (whichever position he plays). After the last two years of massive underachievers, this line has to prove itself to me.

Reactions: 3 people
They didn't move Thomas. IIRC, Thomas is a very, very good athlete. If they really thought they didn't have an answer in either Blair or Gilliam then it seems they would have moved one of their better athletes to LT so they could be ready.

I know this team is putting in work but at this point, the only position I'm not really worried about is WR. I hope to feel better about them after fall camp.

I know this team is putting in work but at this point, the only position I'm not really worried about is WR. I hope to feel better about them after fall camp.

I'm not worried about any of the O skill positions or LB. I'm not very worried about the secondary. I'm not worried about the other 4 on the OL. I'm a little worried about TE. I have concerns about the DL if Saulsberry doesn't return healthy.

I'm not worried about any of the O skill positions or LB. I'm not very worried about the secondary. I'm not worried about the other 4 on the OL. I'm a little worried about TE. I have concerns about the DL if Saulsberry doesn't return healthy.

I'm just really eager to see how the roster shapes up after fall. Most of my worries come from not knowing who's starting. I have a general idea, but I would like to see a solidified depth chart.

I'm with you on the DL, particularly DT. I think we'll be okay at end, if we can stay healthy.

TE is one I'm not worried about, though. Wolf and Helm look very promising.

I'm not worried about TE. We have increased our talent with the 2 freshmen exponentially. Hope Blair gets in shape and puts it all together this summer.

WE got nothing from TE last year...We was average at OL...and DL was far from steller...I think we are moving in the right direction no matter who plays...CBJ will figure who will contribute.

This could be our strongest tight end group in many years.

Blair's a better RT then LT. I've said all along in his thread that he will struggle to pass block here. He's an unbelievable run blocker tho. I saw videos of him blocking guys 15 yards down field. The main concern right now with Blair is his conditioning. He already struggles at moving his feet against speedy DEs, and if he isn't in shape he will get abused by faster players on the edge even worse.

Blair's a better RT then LT. I've said all along in his thread that he will struggle to pass block here. He's an unbelievable run blocker tho. I saw videos of him blocking guys 15 yards down field. The main concern right now with Blair is his conditioning. He already struggles at moving his feet against speedy DEs, and if he isn't in shape he will get abused by faster players on the edge even worse.

My guess is that Coleman will move to LT early in fall camp and that Blair will move to RT at the same time. It will be alarming starting a true freshman at LT, but Coleman has gotten rave reviews and I have to think that could be the answer.

They are starting a true freshman at RT and a walk-on at LT in the SEC.
If this isn't concerning, then I don't know what is.
I think they are OK on the interior with a mix of Crowder, Kerbyson, Wiesman and Jackson.
One area Butch has not recruited well is OL. He basically kept Dooley's leftover signees, which have yet to compete for starting time.

Combined with Dooley's ineptitude at signing 0 lineman one year, they are woefully thin on the O-line. Blair has to pan out. Raulerson looks like a project.

VN Store

Back