Michiganders Coach J and Coach T(Power T).

Interesting Read

Jones obviously has a fondness for home vs DT. Per the article Donnie has not been back in twenty years but Jones said he visits as often as possible

My daughter's family lives in Grand Rapids and we have visited Saugatuck. I understand his attraction to the town, in addition to it being his home town. The population is about 800 and it sometimes seems as though there are more boats in the harbor than that. Eating ice cream at one of the parlors is their prime pastime.

I've been to South Haven and Benton Harbor numerous times for work and one vacation several years back, never to Saugatuck.

I imagine they are similar and would have to agree with the appeal, except in the winter months...

Reactions: 1 person
I hate to be the one to say it... But we should all be following Brady Hoke's career status very closely, if ya know what I mean.

Not an attempt at negativity as I am a firm believer in CBJ's loyalty to UT. But I fear that if Hoke is fired, UMich will recognize CBJs value, and his home state appeal. They may make him an offer no man can refuse. I pray that UTADept. makes a real effort to maintain staff continuity for at least 2-3 more years, and Jones for the foreseeable future.

Just my opinion, TIFWIW

Although, in many ways, he's already got a job no man can refuse.

** in b4 "Charlie Strong refused."

I hate to be the one to say it... But we should all be following Brady Hoke's career status very closely, if ya know what I mean.

Not an attempt at negativity as I am a firm believer in CBJ's loyalty to UT. But I fear that if Hoke is fired, UMich will recognize CBJs value, and his home state appeal. They may make him an offer no man can refuse. I pray that UTADept. makes a real effort to maintain staff continuity for at least 2-3 more years, and Jones for the foreseeable future.

Just my opinion, TIFWIW

I would be far more concerned about this scenario . . . if Butch was a University of Michigan alum. Fortunately, he is not.

I think if Michigan comes calling that would mean we are winning and things have turned around for us.

I think if Michigan comes calling that would mean we are winning and things have turned around for us.

I completely agree with you, but that timeline coincides awfully precipitously. In other words, Barring success, Hoke is likely out in 2-3 years, just as CBJ leads UT to its greatest success in at least a decade.

Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

I would be far more concerned about this scenario . . . if Butch was a University of Michigan alum. Fortunately, he is not.
Great point, Rex. However they have already made their run at the most successful "Mighigan Man" in Coach Les Miles. After the way they mishandled that opportunity, that bridge is likely torched.

I completely agree with you, but that timeline coincides awfully precipitously. In other words, Barring success, Hoke is likely out in 2-3 years, just as CBJ leads UT to its greatest success in at least a decade.

Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

I look at it this way.
If things play out the way you describe, that would mean that the UT program would be a much more attractive job than it was during our previous three hires. This would make hiring a proven winner easier.
Yet, I think we are definitely getting the cart before the horse here. At this point it's like worrying that Georgia would hire Dooley away from us.

Another way to assess this scenario would entail the following perspective: Michigan is calling because (A) Butch has successfully orchestrated a MAJOR rebuilding project and (B) Michigan's current coach has not met their standards. After having reestablished Tennessee as a perennial power, does Butch really want to go through the same process all over again? Personally, I think not.

I've been to South Haven and Benton Harbor numerous times for work and one vacation several years back, never to Saugatuck.

I imagine they are similar and would have to agree with the appeal, except in the winter months...

Benton Harbor is a dump. Grand Haven is a great place to visit.

Interesting Read

Jones obviously has a fondness for home vs DT. Per the article Donnie has not been back in twenty years but Jones said he visits as often as possible

The article said he hasn't returned since his 20 year reunion back in 2008 due to his coaching journey.

I hate to be the one to say it... But we should all be following Brady Hoke's career status very closely, if ya know what I mean. Not an attempt at negativity as I am a firm believer in CBJ's loyalty to UT. But I fear that if Hoke is fired, UMich will recognize CBJs value, and his home state appeal. They may make him an offer no man can refuse. I pray that UTADept. makes a real effort to maintain staff continuity for at least 2-3 more years, and Jones for the foreseeable future.
Just my opinion, TIFWIW
I think you must trust Butch on his statement that Tennessee is his destination job. Another factor to consider is that his sons are at an age where a parent would not just uproot them once their roots are in the ground here in Tennessee. Your worries of him returning to Michigan are baseless.

I think you must trust Butch on his statement that Tennessee is his destination job. Another factor to consider is that his sons are at an age where a parent would not just uproot them once their roots are in the ground here in Tennessee. Your worries of him returning to Michigan are baseless.

As I said earlier, I have faith in Coach Jones and his sincere loyalty to UT. But I do not believe its foolish to assert that CBJ would be at or near the top of UMich's list if they make a change in the next 2-3 years. His career trajectory will likely be nearing its peak as we begin to translate all our off field success into wins. In my heart of hearts, I feel he will remain loyal, but my concern is that the UT administration may not pony up the $$$ it would take to match offers. Baseless, perhaps not. I will admit its premature of me to make these assertions though. Let me just say I'll be rooting for Big Daddy Hoke to have a lot of success up there in the Slow, I mean, Big10.

As I said earlier, I have faith in Coach Jones and his sincere loyalty to UT. But I do not believe its foolish to assert that CBJ would be at or near the top of UMich's list if they make a change in the next 2-3 years. His career trajectory will likely be nearing its peak as we begin to translate all our off field success into wins. In my heart of hearts, I feel he will remain loyal, but my concern is that the UT administration may not pony up the $$$ it would take to match offers. Baseless, perhaps not. I will admit its premature of me to make these assertions though. Let me just say I'll be rooting for Big Daddy Hoke to have a lot of success up there in the Slow, I mean, Big10.
Tennessee?? Michigan?? Great Smoky Mountains vs. Lake Michigan?? Come on now! There ain't enough money!:)

VN Store

Back